Insurance quote :o

PostPost by: Delboy Alfisti » Mon May 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Hello everyone :D

I am new to the Lotus Elan scene and have been a long term fan of the classic Lotus Elans :D

I was looking at purchasing a Lotus Elan S2 1966.

Problems have arisen trying to get a reasonable quote for the car.

Here's the crux of the issue, I am 21 years old and I am currently a second driver on an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4.

I just had a "quick quote" through lancaster online who I have normally found to be very fair, but they came back with a quote for ?3.4k! (My friend was insured on a MGB GT 3.9 V8 for less than ?600! and he is the same age!)

Is this usual for the Elan, or is their system having a "moment"?

Delboy Alfisti
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Delboy Alfisti wrote:Hello everyone :D

I just had a "quick quote" through lancaster but they came back with a quote for ?3.4k!Is this usual for the Elan, or is their system having a "moment"?)

?3400 for an S2 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where do you live? on Pall Mall! having a a history of writing cars off, convictions for drunken driving, speeding fines, stealing cars, learner's licience and your only means of transport?..................
Sorry I'm just having a "moment" myself :lol: :lol:
I think you can do better then that........try Footman James, Heritage, AON etc.
Last edited by types26/36 on Mon May 29, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Delboy Alfisti wrote:Hello everyone :D

I just had a "quick quote" through lancaster but they came back with a quote for ?3.4k!Is this usual for the Elan, or is their system having a "moment"?)

?3400 for an S2 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where do you live? on Pall Mall! having a a history of writing cars off, convictions for drunken driving, speeding fines, stealing cars, learner's licience and your only means of transport?..................
Sorry I'm just having a "moment" myself :lol: :lol:
I think you can do better then that........try Footman James, Heritage, AON etc.
Last edited by types26/36 on Mon May 29, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Delboy Alfisti » Mon May 29, 2006 5:09 pm

haha thanks, I was certainly hoping that was the case!!

I am based in Bristol! (nice area, no issue there!), no convictions, accidents or any of that nonsense! It will be a second car as well, as the Alfa will be used more than the Lotus! :)

Will give those others a try :D

Thanks
Delboy Alfisti
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:48 pm

Try Towergate Hall & Clarke on 0208 908 5611 and ask for Angie Brown.

Think about limiting your mileage and no of drivers. No claims bonus does not apply as its a Classic scheme.

Post your results - am sure we'd all be interested - might encourage some more young blood into the Lotus world - WELCOME!
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 29, 2006 8:08 pm

When I was 21 I had an Elan and lived it Bristol, and it was about ?40 a year fully comp parked in the street! OK, that was way back in the last century, but I still have the Elan, insured with Footman James on a Classic agreed value limited mileage policy for ?80.
Most classic policies require you to have the car garaged at night and proof that you have another everyday car....you should be able to sort something out for a tenth of what you've been quoted.
Good luck...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Delboy Alfisti » Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:When I was 21 I had an Elan and lived it Bristol, and it was about ?40 a year fully comp parked in the street! OK, that was way back in the last century, but I still have the Elan, insured with Footman James on a Classic agreed value limited mileage policy for ?80.
Most classic policies require you to have the car garaged at night and proof that you have another everyday car....you should be able to sort something out for a tenth of what you've been quoted.
Good luck...Mark

Thats what I was expecting! :D

I will call around tommorow and hopefully get something sorted.

Out of interest where is the best place apart from here to try and find an Elan?

Matt :)
Delboy Alfisti
New-tral

PostPost by: triumphelan » Tue May 30, 2006 6:04 am

Try "Yes" insurance ,my quote was ?136 ,I`m a bit older than 21
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue May 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Carol Nash is my current fave.. my everyday car, my bike and the sad old Elan.

http://www.carolenash.com/car.asp
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: