clunk click !!

PostPost by: miked » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:23 pm

I am a regular user of my S4. I fitted the TTR sliding spline shafts at the end of last year. My friend who is a mechanic said that I would feel any play/whip in the drive train in loosing the cushion of the Do nuts.

When fitted I noticed a small click when taking up drive or going from throttle to trail in 1 st gear. The overall difference is magic, great gear changes and consistent pull when under strong throttle. Also great when backing off and changing down.

My question and problem;

My click has developed into a multiple clunk. Now happening in first, second and lightly in 3rd gear. I have not been back under yet but think this. It must be in the Diff as I have all new bushes on the diff', It is securely mounted. New A frame bushes. My wheel bearing are new and when the wheels are checked for play they are sound. All is quiet at speed under load. I put the car in first gear (hand brake off) and rocked the wheels. There is quite an alaming noise when going back and forth and definite play. I know I need to go under to isolate, but feel sure it must be the Diff. I checked the A frames and all the bolts a week ago. l also checked the prop shaft joint. This is tight.

Has aybody else had a noisiy Diff?
Any comments welcome.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi Mike.

The diff output shafts have splines on their inboard ends which can wear and produce the 'click' that you have noticed. Or it may be wear in the diff gears themselves - hopefully the former as it is probably cheaper to replace the output shafts....

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Mike,
I would suspect the propshaft universal joints before condemning the diff. Don't forget by putting the solid shafts on, you're losing the cushioning effect on the propshaft too. Seen this many times. I would say least likely to be the diff, particularly as it was quiet before. Grasp the joint and try to move it up and down, and side to side, then do the same with the front one. Let us know how you get on.
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:33 pm

OK, I'll guess too before you climb under. Could be the outer (old rotoflex attachement) bolts on the halfshafts have come loose, on the right side. At least that's what happened on my +2 before I got rid of the u-jointed halfshafts and went back to rotoflexes. It made a whale of a racket but was driveable. What type of nuts did you use?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks for input.
I will get under and check everything mentioned & find out. Will post what I find.

I have the TTR HT Allen type studs with Nyloc nuts.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:14 am

Must have been the season for it. I have just fitted TTR UJ to my S4. I also fitted the TTR diff mounts. As you say all the bounce has gone 8) I also notice a slight click as I let the clutch out in first when pulling away, I put it down to the slap being taken up through the drive train. However there are not any other noises (at the moment). Does you car have a diff brace fitted? I was told that fitting one is a good idea.

I second the other posts. Get underneath and check out all the mountings, nut and bolts etc. Check also the wheel nuts :oops: You will not be the first to forget to tighten them up :oops:
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Wheels are tight, double checked. No brace fitted to diif mount.
Hope to drag my brittle body under there tonight.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:07 pm

Don't forget to check the rods running from the diff lower ears to the frame these can wallow out overtime and also the soft-mounts on the top. nailing down the diff is a very good idea and the top brace plus a systematic approach to the other attachments is a good idea. I have use both the TTR and the perfomance unlimited kits - I had clunking on the PU kit that was some what abated with diff rods and new driveshaft . On the next car, I "nailed" it down ( new everthing and bracing etc) no noise on this one .
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:43 pm

I`ve never had a problem with the rotoflexes, recently nor in the 60s and 70s with newer Elans. I`ve always had a concern that taking out the flex would just pass the shock somewhere else. Human nature inclines one to wear rose tinted glasses when you`ve just spent on UJ propshafts so I`m after some unbiased opinion.
We are doing the Scottish Malts and the Rallye des Alpes this year, the Malts including autotests, the Alpes some fast and twisty regularities. So the rotoflexes are my one concern.
Good ? Bad ?
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Jim,

I'm a member of CL Scotland. When I first got my +2S130, to a man, they advised me one of the best possible conversions to do was to get rid of the rotoflexs (I had bad memories of them from my 998 Imp days in the 60s). Some of these guys race their cars, others do long distance touring. I intend to do long distance touring as well.

They told me not to worry about any extra strain/shock on the drive train as there is still plenty of rubber around e.g. engine mounts, diff mounts.
I got TTR driveshafts and have had no trouble to date. Mind you I have replaced all rubber mounts on the car including the gearbox mount. Not a clunk or click in sight.
If you get TTR 'shafts watch you don't get a hernia lifting them - they are 'robust', to say the least :)

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Conclusion :D

I went under the car tonight. Had it on it's wheels sat on wood blocks with safety wedges and blocks etc.

All UJ's are fine. All drive shaft bolts are fine. Whilst rocking in gear noticed some slight movement and noise from the two top diff hangers. Climb out and tried a spanner on the nuts in the boot. These moved too easily. Fitted two new nylocs tighten up. When rocking, it felt better.

Dropped to the flloor and took it for a test drive. Not a noise anywhere ,just perfect drive and great gear changes. Unbelievable.

Too be fair I have not put the spanner on these two nuts since I completed the restoration 3yrs ago and about 9k miles. :oops: However I am happy that it was only this and all my other works are sound as like most of us on here, I get in trouble from "her in doors" for pampering the car.

So the niggle I started with after changing from donuts to solid shafts has gone! :wink:

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Good one Mike.

How nice to get an 'easy' solution to a Lotus problem. Tighten a few nuts and bingo! Fab.

One solution to her indoors. My indoors person has a half share of the car. She's good (and happy) at doing trim and stuff like that but doesn't like getting her hands greasy. A good hepl bleeding brakes, though.
I occasionally get some light pressure to finish a job so we can use the car at the weekend!

Makes life a lot easier. :D

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Hamish,

Sound like you have an ideal one. The best I can hope for is that she doesnt mind going for a ride in it. Half share would not appeal and as regards touching it, no chance. However to be fair I do get away with good amount of car stuff. Building another one, ebaying and playing with the road one. So I must not moan!

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Mike,

I have a different problem. I am currently under pressure to get the ignition modified and get the car running properly again so we can use it. (yep - she drives it occasionally as well) I'm a bit reluctant because of what I know about our ignition problem.

Almost the reverse of normal. Mind you, it means that I can spend as much time as I like in the garage. Also makes it a bit easier to get some 'extra' bits :)

Hamish.

PS have you ever had 'encouragement' to got to the likes of Classic Silverstone? She is keen to go - again! :D
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: