PostPost by: garytvr » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:53 pm

After lurking for awhile i decided to join up. I have a 1967 that is good condtion. Have receipts from the past owner for over $30,000 for restoration work, hard to believe. The car however had a small problem. The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley was mismarked. It was ten degrees off. So when the timing was set 10 degrees before top dead center it was really set at zero degrees. Spark plugs only lasted 50 miles.
Anybody else have this problem? Did somebody put the pulley on backwards?
garytvr
New-tral

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:00 am

Welcome! You discovered the screwed up steel pulley problem on your own. Good job! I think they are off a Cosworth BD engine and just happen to fit the twinkcam. Sucks having it retarded by that much because it causes the Webers to spit.

This forum must be approaching 3000 members by now.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:00 am

this is a really great group...truth be told, one of the reasons I got an Elan was because of all the lurking I did here before I finally pulled the trigger.. Funny, helpful, and most importantly...sympathetic as we struggle through these fantastic cars.
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:07 pm

NO BIG DEAL ---JUST set the static timing and re mark the pully :roll: ed -----
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:22 am

Hi Jeff (please know that in no way am I picking on you or that this is directed towards you.) how many Lotus miles have you driven before you used the word struggle? After 33+ years and 7 different Elans I've never really encountered any struggles. I cannot think of a single time my Loti have let me down. I've run out of gas and had flat tires... I've driven two from the seaport in Baltimore to Cincinnati and then some... I know the second one I ever owned was abandoned in Kansas 'cuz it hit a deer but.... Guys, what is it with this marque where so many have so many problems and so many have so few? ALL joking and Lucas bashing aside, I think these cars are "dependable," even 42 year old models. Are we seeing doctored used Elans on the market? What are these simple kit cars (except for +2 electronics) of old trying to tell us in 2006? Do the Z teched, electronic ignitioned, alternator converted, electronic fanned, splined half shafted, etc, no safer to drive Elans teach us anything about dependablitiy? Is it time to start a "My high mileage Elan is still going because..." topic?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Hello All

Couldn't agree more- I've owned 3 elans over the past 32 years and the sprint I still have I bought in 1978 and used it as an everyday (I do mean every day) as a commuter vehicle for over 11 years.

I subjected it to the worst type of use ie city driving/stop/start in all weathers and never had any real problems- apart from those caused by the previous owner. This I think (without preaching) is the main cause of the grouses about reliability. Properly sorted I fail to see how something so inherently simple should be a particular cause for concern.

Mine has never actually failed on the road apart from two occasions when the ampifier in the ignition gave up and when the ring gear was chewed up (previous owner fitting incorrect starter). Hardly the fault of the car's design. Only two water pumps have been replaced during 28 years of ownership and even the engine rebuild at 98k was only precautionary as the compressions were still 150 each.

Start shooting at me!

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:34 pm

tend to agree with the reliability of the cars ---my 7 only stranded me once in 22 years and that was my fault for not clipping the alternator plug in place -----the ?lan has never left me permanently stranded needing a tow truck --- anything was fixable at the site of the break down and drivable from there -----these were small things that were over looked by me while the car was being rebuilt from the frame up :oops: ed----
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: