Need Some Advise/photos Please

PostPost by: alfaervin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:14 am

i restore cars for myself and clients part- time, i normally handle Alfa Romeos. i have a 71 Lotus Elan S4 that im putting together for a client. the car is completely taken apart except for the engine/trans, rear end and suspension. im running new braklines and fuellines but can't seem to find a schematic or photos of how they are placed through the tunnel. if someone out there can give me some advise or photos that would be great. thank you harden
alfaervin
New-tral

PostPost by: tmr » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:44 pm

I have a 69 Elan S4 on which I replaced the chassis, brake piping, and fuel line. I know that US-spec and UK-spec cars are different, due to LHD vs. RHD and double vs. single master cylinders, but my car should be similar to the one you're working on if it is a US LHD car.

The brake piping on my car runs underneath the center tunnel and is visible when looking at the bottom of the chassis. There should be sheet metal tabs in the RH corners of underside of the center tunnel that can be easily bent. These tabs are welded to the chassis. Near the master cylinder there is a hole in the chassis for a bolt-on clamp that secures the lines there. There are also holes for the brass 'tees' to bolt on at brake piping junctions. I have photos of my old chassis with the brake piping shown that I can scan and email to you if needed. Email me if you want them.

As for the fuel line, the original was black plastic tubing that I replaced with Aeroquip braided. It runs through the center tunnel in one of the upper corners. I think it is the RH side, but look at the hole in the fiberglass where the line exits the trunk (boot) to match it up. There should be a sleeve or hole in the rear 'bulkhead' of the center tunnel that it fits through. There's also a similar setup at the bottom LH corner for the emergency brake cable.

Hope this helps.

Tom Roberds
1969 S4
tmr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:15 pm

:( I wouldn't rely too terribly much on photos of original cars as it appears that no two were alike. The brake piping for my left hand steering S4 was set up at the factory for a right hand steering car. All of the piping for the tandem set up went from the four wheels to the right side of the engine compartment, just below the carbs. Then, they were connected to two more pipes that ran in front of the engine, over the vacumn tank to the left hand side where the MC is. So there were actually three lines on top of the vacumn tank (front frame cross member). This made for a nightmare when trying to determine the sequence for bleeding the brakes as the furthest wheel from the MC was actually the rear left and the closest was the front right. I rerouted the entire system removing over 13 feet of brake line and now I can bleed the brakes using half the fluid I used to use. As far as running the pipe to the rear, originally, it went under the right side of the frame secured by the clips that Tom referred to. I rerouted it away from the road high up in the frame on the left side. There are holes provided in the bulkheads and I added grommets.

The plastic fuel line, which ran low in the frame on the right side was replaced by metal brake line that now runs high within the frame on the right side through holes that are provided in the bulkheads just opposite the brake line. I think I used the longest piece of metal brake pipe I could find (8 feet) and it reached from the tank to a foot or so from the mechanical pump. I then switched to rubber fuel line to compensate for engine movement. I really don't see the need to go to expensive braided fuel hose as I don't expect the metal brake line mounted high in the frame to fail.

I would up with a neat installation having both lines (fuel and brake) mounted away from the road, high up inside the backbone on either side. One word of caution. I'm not sure, but because the fuel line is mounted much higher than it was previously, I think the fuel has a tendency to drain back into the tank when the car sits. I may modify this by putting a trap in simplying using a longer piece of rubber fuel line at the front between the pump and the end of the metal fuel line and looping it down just like the trap under your kitchen sink. That should prevent the fuel from draining back to the tank.

Good luck,

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alfaervin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:16 pm

tom, thanks alot!! if you have those pics you could send me that would be great. i got the part about the fuel line but it appears that my lines come from the master on the left side of the car and cross over to the right via the steering rack and tee off right about the motor mount. i have all that part taken care of( these lines were in place when i got the car) the one im having trouble with is the long one that runs to the back( it was in place also but snapped off at the back about a foot from the rear tee). i see that there is a go thru for the parking brake cable. does the line run next to the driveshaft? or did i understand you saying that it runs under the chassis? thanks for your help!!! harden
alfaervin
New-tral

PostPost by: tmr » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:24 am

The brake piping runs under the chassis in my case. Look for tabs just off center in one of the 'corners'.

I'll have to look at the parking brake cable to verify exactly where it runs, but I believe it runs inside the chassis down the lower left hand side.

Frank is right about no two cars being alike, but the route yours takes sounds very much like mine. I'll scan the photos and send them to you tonight.

Tom Roberds
69 S4
tmr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alfaervin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:15 am

thank you everybody!!!!! you guys are great! my client came by with my missing piece(the last foot of the brake line before it tees into the rear calipers) it has the bend i needed. it turns out it does go through the tunnel and bend around the bulkhead for the drive shaft turn to the left and tees. thank you agian. harden
alfaervin
New-tral

Total Online: