What's Your Favourite Elan Book?

PostPost by: Matt7c » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:11 pm

I recently began restoring an Elan S2 - my first Lotus and my first big project. I have the original workshop manual, a hard-back copy, the twin cam engine book and the restoring Elans book.

However, I wondered which book you think is the best for reading about the history and development of the Elan, with lots of colour photos etc?
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:19 pm

I finished my S2 about 1.5 years ago. I wish I had bought a parts manual before I did so. Next - I find myself referring to the Robinson book all the time, especially for the parts cross references. Other than the engine - it's pretty easy and logical to restore. Best of luck!
Paul Zimmerman
26/4600
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:46 pm

Check eBay, loads of the books come up regularly (at least here in the UK), at some point you will decide that you need them all!
Cheers,
pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bvt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:47 pm

There seems to be very few books detailing enough for a good restorer... workshop manuals and parts lists are top of anyone's list i should guess followed by Wilkins for the Twincam lump and then the Ross/Robinshaw book as a good start point for crossfererence..

But you can't beat looking at either very old used cars that have not been touched by any restorer, I don't think a complete reference has been written with good colour pictures its abouit time one was... now there's an idea.. would it sell???
bvt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:02 am

I ditto what elansprint71 says, and, recommend any or all of the Brooklands Books Series which are primarily a compilation of road tests back when the Elans were new. Great reading, great history, but no color pictures. Also, any book written by Graham Arnold.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:45 pm

"The Original Lotus Elan" by Robinson and Ross ISBN 0 947981 32 2 originally published in 1989 by MRP gets my vote (and the factory Parts manual)

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:40 pm

While completing my S4 rebuild, reference to Gordon Lund's book of his Elan and +2 rebuilds made interesting reading for me. From a been there and done it point of view, with some good tips as well.

Just slightly off the subject however many of you may know that a while back his Elan featured in the book was written off by a French juggernaut, who pulled out into him as he was passing. Gordon, I believe is OK.

My lady remarked how small they look (Elans) on the road compared to everything else these days, so on that note be mighty careful when out Lotusing on the motorways. There are Moron's about.

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Anyone want my Lund book, once read, for free?!!
RR and Wilkins for me.
Roy
'65S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: matt.butler » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:54 am

My favorites (in order of how often referenced)

- Workshop manual
- Dave Bean Catalog
- Miles Wilkins' Twin Cam
- Robinshaw & Ross
- Original Lotus Elan by John Bolster

The top 3 are most often referenced when the car is (or more accurately isn't but should be) running, the last two when the snow's flying and reading is a poor replacement for driving.

matt
45/8161
matt.butler
New-tral

PostPost by: marcfuller » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:16 am

In bringing back to life my S3 and to go with the "Workshop Manual" I find the "Service Parts List" invaluable. The detailed parts listings and subcomponent assembly drawings are very very useful. And the parts numbers are helpful in obtaining the correct parts from Bean or Miller or... .
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: