Coding On Postings

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Hi there,
I discovered the Elan forums only a few weeks ago and find them very interesting reading.
In the past I have owned the following Lotus cars:- 7 S1; Cortina Mk1; Mk14 Elite S1; 23B; Europa S2 (Banks). I now own an Elan S4 fitted with many TT parts & a 2 Liter Zetec engine tuned to 185 bhp by Paul Dunnell.

Will somebody please explain to me the 1st; 2nd; 3rd & 4th Gear codings that appear to the left of members postings.

Thanks
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:01 pm

John,
It relates to the number of postings each person has submitted, not sure on the actual number it takes to move up a gear, I think it was discussed when the forum was first started.
Brian
p.s. You've had some interesting cars.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:31 am

Thanks Brian,
you have obviously been a busy boy (3rd Gear)
A happy Christmas to everyone
John :)
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:25 am

;) :D ;) :lol:
Gidday John,
So you have a Zetec powered Elan, good stuff.
I have a +2S which is waiting for its new Zetec heart but due to other projects being higher up the priority list it is still waiting.I would be glad to see some photos and your opinion of the conversion and any hassles.
I am in Australia.
See ya, Les
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:13 am

Hi Les,
I do have lots of photo's of the build, unfortunately not digital. I fitted the Zetec into a Spyder tubular chassis, using the original 4 speed g/box in my S4 Elan. Spyder provided the engine mounts. They do there own conversion bits for the +2 6 use a Ford MT75 g/box(LHD to get the starter on the opposite side from the exhaust manifold).
I recommend that you don't use their pretty cast coolant manifold, in myoppinion it cannot work properly & could cause thermoshocks or overheating. Try to copy the original Zetec cooling system, with a header tank, to the book.
There are numerous problem areas but none are unsurmountable! Paul Dunnell can provide intake manifolds for Weber's, exhaust manifold flange, Engine wiring harnesses, engine management, suitable flywheels & clutches etc,etc. Tony Thompson can provide uprated drive train components. A suitable exhaust system will have to be tailor made, as will the cooling system. An electric fuel pump in the boot will be needed. You may have to modify the oil pan.
If you let me know more precisely what you will do to the car other than the Zetec installation I may be of more specific help. e-mail me: derek.pelly@ bmw.de
I know a guy in the UK called Richard Packman who is in the process of putting a Zetec into an otherwise standard +2 (ie Lotus chassis) his project will be more representative to yours than mine. I expect. If you contact him at: [email protected] please mention my name.
Good luck
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: