So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I think this will work out nicely. :)

full sun.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Our local Lotus club took a trip to the top of Pike's Peak in July, 14,110 feet above sea level, and I just got a photo. Went up the mountain like a champ cresting the parking area at 4,000 rpm in second after the last hairpin. I was delighted :D :D
Attachments
Green Jean top of Pike's Peak Med.JPG and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 pm

This evening, together with pals we went on the Miglia di Minatore. Starting with a test around cones with the navigator carrying a pint FULL of water, the time was added to CCs of water spilt. We set the fastest time, came last, but maybe had the most fun. Starting at the Miners Arms in Eyam we did a 62 mile fabulous route including a lap of the High Peak Road Racing Circuit (that never was).
Finishing at the Miners we all had an excellent meal, 22 diners, 10 different starters and mains, all served simultaneously and delicious, marvellous. I`ve got 2 different tulip routes ending at the Miners so if you fancy organising something similar, let me know.
Jim
Attachments
miglia di minatore 001.jpg and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Finally back on the road after 25 years "resting"......... :)
Attachments
2012-08-19 12.10.49.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:53 pm

oldelanman wrote:Finally back on the road after 25 years "resting"......... :)

Well done Roger,

As we were told "Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing". Remember?

He didn't say anything about the time it takes, though! :)

Regards - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 pm

oldelanman wrote:Finally back on the road after 25 years "resting"......... :)

Congratulations Roger, looks lovely - well done

Regards

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Very nice, Roger. Congratulations!

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jfornarola » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Another step.
Attachments
DSCF2018.JPG and
Spent all of Saturday 8/18, finalizing work before the lift. Fuel lines done. Speedo cable connected and routed forward. E-brake cable fitted through the backbone. Carb studs on the rear carb removed. Redline MTF in the tranny. Redline Shockproof in the (Quaife) diff. Everything other than suspension checked to proper torque.
DSCF2030.JPG and
Body on trolly. 'Couple of 2x6's, Harbor Freight castering wheels and some screws. Worked very well moving around in the garage. A one person operation.
DSCF2031.JPG and
There is a little sound deadening and heat shielding. The beige is outdoor latex paint mixed 1/2 gal. to 1/2 lb. micro balloon. The underside of the transmission tunnel and around the rear diff. are painted with Hurculiner (do-it-yourself) truck bed liner. I was particularly concerned with limiting the amount of weight I added.
DSCF2043.JPG and
August 19, 2012. Lifting straps prepared. I used two pieces of MDF under the floor pan to spread the load. The eye bolts go through the bobbins for the outboard seat mounts and although they pass through only the MDF takes any weight. The rear straps ratchet and provide the balance. It's mostly a one finger operation to rotate the car into the proper position.
DSCF2045.JPG and
Slow and EZ.......Radio station playing Breakfast with the Beatles. Wife Janine stabilizing things with Parker "helping".
DSCF2046.JPG and
Slow and EZ...
DSCF2048.JPG and
Looking a lot more like one car rather than parts to an unknown something.
DSCF2050.JPG and
Able assistant Parker adding his thoughts...fini for now...
DSCF2052.JPG and
Trolly, broken down.
jfornarola
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 am

Looks lovely!

Is that a nice CSi behind the chassis?

It's what I was looking for before I bought my Elan +2.

Fab cars and I have fond memories of a very fast 100 mile jouney in one as a child.

Still happy that I got a +2 instead...but some day I may put a CSi beside it in the garage too.

....now if only those pesky lottery numbers would match :)

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am

A very neat job, Jfornarola. That looks like a beefed-up frame.

Those are non-traditional colors you chose, but they look good. You should perhaps open a new thread on your build in the Gallery section, so it will be easier to keep track of your process.

Anyway, congratulations!

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Very nice job! A little surprised you didn't fit the headers.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:23 pm

I used trouble shooting a electrical/charging/battery issue on the 64 as an excuse to go see Frank's new paint job - I figured I could dodge the rain showers and was almost successful . The paint job and attention to detail are spectacular and considering how far the car has come , quite impressive. I hope the photos show how nice the car looks. Frank says the car will be at LOG no matter what. The butterfly was declared a good omen while looking for the gremlin.

I'll second Andy's request to see a build thread for the Jfornarola car - we need more action on the forum - ( you 2 frank)

George
Attachments
S1-rain.JPG and
FF-s2se-2.JPG and
FF-s2se.JPG and
butterfly.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jfornarola » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Peter - good eyes - It's a '73 CSL I restored a few years ago. I missed the lottery numbers last week as well. We can hope for better luck!

Andy - yes, the frame is gusseted and reinforced in the typical areas by a shop that provided support for racing Elans. As to the colors; I wanted a bright Lotus yellow-like color and it's powder coated to help with cleanup. The other detail colors were just some I liked for the application. For example the rear control arms are a silver aluminum like color. The rack is close to a BRG. The steering rack mounts are aluminum but I clear coated them.

Greg - the headers are being coated and I didn't want to wait after such a long time working on the chassis, body and motor.

Good idea on the build thread. I'll try to post some updates later this week.

Thanks again for comments!

John
jfornarola
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mazlot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Just found this photograph of my car (from the 'net), freshly restored, with the original owner/race driver, Bill Gates ( BeeGees original manager), from it's restoration debut at Lakeside in 2011.

mazlot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:51 pm

At Cars and Coffee a few weeks back. Finished.... sorta
(are they EVER finished)
James
Attachments
Cars And Coffee 8-4-12 058.jpg and
cars and coffee 2.jpg and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear