See Europe in a 40 year old Lotus

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:22 am

alexblack13 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:Isn't there the biennual Historic LeMans next year? Another alternative perhaps?
I think that if you've not already booked accomodation camping may now remain the only alternative, I hear that it's great fun though.
There's already a whole bunch of Lotus drivers that drive to both events.
I think they meet up with a French Lotus owners group & all set up camp together.
(Nearly said "Camp together")

Cheers
John

God knows what I would do without you guys making me laugh. :D :D :D

Camping would be cool and for me weather permitting. Sleeping in the Elan would not be an option. I would need assistance to get out in the morning.

I will look into the options for that event. Could be the one.

Anyone else??

Alex B....

Ah "Morning Glory" & Steering wheel conflict huh? That By-pass job certainly did the trick then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

:D :D :D :D

It sure did John. Good job laughing no longer hurts though.... :D :D

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:12 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:Isn't there the biennual Historic LeMans next year? Another alternative perhaps?
I think that if you've not already booked accomodation camping may now remain the only alternative, I hear that it's great fun though.
There's already a whole bunch of Lotus drivers that drive to both events.
I think they meet up with a French Lotus owners group & all set up camp together.
(Nearly said "Camp together")

Cheers
John

God knows what I would do without you guys making me laugh. :D :D :D

Camping would be cool and for me weather permitting. Sleeping in the Elan would not be an option. I would need assistance to get out in the morning.

I will look into the options for that event. Could be the one.

Anyone else??

Alex B....

Ah "Morning Glory" & Steering wheel conflict huh? That By-pass job certainly did the trick then :lol: :lol: :lol:

How do you follow that! No wonder it's been a week since the last post.

I'd be interested in whatever makes it to the top of the suggestion pile for a Euro trip next year as having just managed a successful fault free (almost) trip to the Alps and back over the last week I've now got a bit more confidence in the car. Previously I had the AA on speed dial. Usual stuff like depending on family / work / health etc applies
_DSC5155s.jpg and
_DSC5254s.jpg and
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm fancying the trip to le Mans 24 hr (Historic perhaps??) race. Tent/barbie/beer...In more or less that order. I'm fancying getting in touch with CL guys also. C if we can rope in the french Lotus club (s)... as John suggested .. kinda...

Might make a fortnights hols out of it. Never done an awfull lot in N Holland. Yet!

Just thinking out loud.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Le Mans Classic, 9th - 11th July 2010

In 2008, 7,000 classic cars and more than 80,000 enthusiasts descended upon Le Mans to witness 400 competing cars, all of which had participated in the 24 Hours of Le Mans between 1923 & 1979. They were divided, according to their age, into 6 grids, to take part in the race. In Le Mans tradition, the start is on the Saturday at 16:00 and finishing on Sunday at 16:00.

http://www.lemansclassic.com/2008/uk/leMansClassic.html

Blimey Alex. Not a very exclusive event then! :D

That's 40,000 two-man tents!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 pm

No hope of accom' anywhere I suspect unless we stayed a min of 50 poss 100 mls away. Weather permitting I would happily camp. Either on site or in a local site.

Sounds just wonderfull. I think I would be up for that.

Another option would be to build a trip around a GP weekend. Monaco?

Oh Yes baby....

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Or join the germans at the Nordschleiffe Bier and bratwurst for the 24 hour?

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:09 pm

I am seriously excited about those options lads. I would love to go to the 24hr ..

We are going to have to set up a list soon methinks.

AB..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:08 pm

As mentioned previously, we`ve now just been on the Classic Europe 2009. Here`s the itinerary and some pics. attached. see http://www.classiccarjourneys.co.uk.
Jim
ItineraryDay 1 Friday 4th September - We?re starting in Brugge which is only a short drive form the ferry. We?ve chosen a hotel on the outskirts of town which we believe will be safe and secure for the vehicles. Brugge is known as the Venice of the North and is a delightful place to walk around. If you catch a morning ferry you?ll arrive at lunchtime and it would make a very pleasant afternoon just wandering around the town. That night, as every night of the event, dinner will be included and we?ll be eating in the hotel?s restaurant.

Day 2 Saturday 5th September Brugge to Bastogne - We leave Brugges for a short run up the motorway to get past Brussels and then we?re calling into Waterloo for coffee. This is the sight of the famous battle and for those who have never visited before there are various things to see and do. Leaving Waterloo we head south along quiet rural roads and then it?s time to decide how you spend the rest of your day. You could call in to the magnificent 17th century Water Gardens at Annevoi. http://www.annevoie.be Alternatively you could give the gardens a miss and head for the Euro Space center which features various space exhibits including a full size mock up of the Space Shuttle. If your feeling really brave we?ve arranged a visit to the Adventure Parc at Fumay to take a ride on the Fantasticable - a zip wire in which you lie prone and fly down the hillside at 115kmhs. Have a look at this The route book will accomodate all these visits. Sadly, it?s not possible to do all three of these activities but probably possible to do two. That night we?re staying in Bastogne, the capital of the Ardennes and ?Battle of the Bulge? country in a spotless hotel 100 meters from the the city centre?s main square - a great place to enjoy a pre dinner pavement coffee or beer and discuss the day.

Day 3 Sunday 6th September Bastogne to Colmar - We leave Bastogne at 8.30am and drive for an hour and a half crossing over the border into Luxembourg and a chance to top up with cheap fuel before crossing into France and arriving at Hackenberg - the largest of the forts on the Maginot line. The Maginot line is the largest fortification after the Great Wall of China and was built to defend France against the Germans. It was also spectacularly unsuccessful because the Germans simply invaded elsewhere. Hackenberg is only open twice a week at certain times but we?ve arranged for our own private view. We?ll head deep inside the hillside and then jump on an underground train for a fascinating tour of this unique site. Click here for the Hackenberg website. After leaving Hackenberg we head south and then it?s another short spell of motorway before turning off for a fabulous drive through the Vosges mountains before eventually descending for the overnight stop at a delightful village on the outskirts of Colmar, another lovely spot to wander around before dinner.

Day 4 Monday 7th September Colmar to Emmental - We are hoping to get some track time at the Circuit Du Rhin. At this stage it?s still not confirmed. After leaving there we?ll head south to Mulhouse and a chance for those of you who have never been before to visit the Schlumpf collection, France?s world famous National Motor Museum. If you?ve already been to the Schlumpf there are other alternatives in Mulhouse. In the afternoon after travelling into Germany for a short while and then back into France it?s time to cross the border into Switzerland for a drive through the Emmental valley, famous for its holey cheese. We?re staying in a beautiful hotel high in the Emmental.

Day 5 Tuesday 8th September Emmental to Lauterbrunnen- This is the day for the drivers. We?ll tackle some really small twisiting roads before reaching Meiringen, famous for the birthplace or meringues and the death of Sherlock Holmes (Believe it or not they have Sherlock Holmes pilgrimages there each year). From Meiringen we turn left for the famous collection of passes the Grimsel, Susten and Furka, the latter being where they filmed the chase scene in Golfdfinger. These passes really are beautiful and Andermatt, the halfway point makes a perfect place to have lunch. After completing the passes we?ll head down to Lauterbrunnen, described as the prettiest valley in Europe. We?ll be staying in Lauterbrunnen for two nights.

Day 6 Wednesday 9th September - A day off from driving. If we?re lucky we?ll have good clear weather and we can take the cable car followed by a train and then two further cable cars up to the Schilthorn revolving restaurant for breakfast. This is claimed to be the world?s highest revolving restaurant and it?s reached by Europe?s longest cable car ride. It really is truly spectacular. If we?re unlucky with the weather there is still lots to do around and about.

Day 7 Thursday 10th September Lauterbrunnen to Le Tholy- We?ll leave Lauterbrunnen via a different route for the run back to France. Again it?s a lovely drive on gorgeous rural roads where we?ll finish up in the Vosges in a friendly hotel for our last night dinner. If you?re heading back the next day its about 350miles (7.5hours) from the ferry so it?s quite feasable to catch a Friday night ferry back home or take it leisurely and stay another night in France and catch a Saturday morning one .
Attachments
classic 042.jpg and
classic 024.jpg and
classic 019.jpg and
classic 014.jpg and
classic 012.jpg and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi All / Jim,

Methinks I detect a bad case of Alpinitis. Bad...Really bad. One can only treat it and the treatment leads to re infection. Uncurable!! :wink:

I have that trip (or very similar) under my belt a few times now. Did the three passes in one day. A bit of a run I can tell you but I would leave to do it again right now. It is wonderfull. I tend do do these trips myself (last time I had 8 motorcycles in tow! 16 people!). I enjoy spending the winter months planning and organizing using My PC GPS Software (Garmin Mapsource) Shows hotels, points of interest etc etc. That's part of it for me.

When we get started to this I will put up a post asking who would like to do what. We can then consider and decide. We will not be able to please everyone that is for sure. No doubt it will be a case of we are doing this or that and waiting for names.

Going on my own would hold no fears for me. I know the Austrian/North Italian Alps/Bavarian area very well. I can't wait....

Watch this space.. I am just waiting to get back to work etc and then we can get started.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: