So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 am

Today, she breathed Fire and smoke.... the new motor ran...and well (new motor, never ran before 1700cc QED Super Sprint Q420 spec)

Problems primeing the oil pump. Few oil leaks, Started up first time... Amazed the timimg was spot on 12. Btdc. Balanced carbs and running fine. A little hesitant on full throttle at lower rpm. Need to learn ho to tune these 151's

Next front steering rack height and fix the stupid angle drive oil leak, The body to chassis

Feel good today..

James
Attachments
today 2_05_2012.JPG and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Wow Dean, A FHC with bolt-on wheels. Do you know if the're original. And looks like you've still got an M100 too.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

The sun came out today and although cool at around 40F I needed to get out and run a few errands. I was on my way home and saw an Avanti 2 driving up ahead of me so I took a picture, kind of a bad photo but I didn't really want to hit him and mess up a good day. :oops:
Avanti 2.JPG and

I stopped at the Scituate country club to get a better picture of the new windmill or wind turbine, I don't know why they just don't call them TURBO'S like every other hot thing thats come out in the last 30 years.
stp.JPG and

This is looking towards the mouth of the North River, the boundary between Scituate and Marshfield. The mouth moved about 2 mile north after the Portland gale on November 26 and 27, 1898.
4th cliff.JPG and

Looks good 2.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 am

Elan45 wrote:Wow Dean, A FHC with bolt-on wheels. Do you know if the're original. And looks like you've still got an M100 too.

Roger

I don't know if the bolt on wheels were original. When I got the car it was a mess: old primer, race circles on the doors, headlight buckets nailed in the up position... It came with a lot of spare parts including a new set of hubcaps. There were no parts that suggested a conversion.

Yes that is our M100 in the background. I had to move it out of the way to get the Elan out of the garage. The lawn has been taking a beating due to construction, tree trimming and moving cars around. Pushing the Elan around so I could start it in gear (to break the clutch free) wore me out. Starting it in reverse did the trick. The clutch operates fine now.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

68? and sunny yesterday? 28? and snow today. Ah, March in northern Nevada. On the brighter side, I finished up my AVO style chassis mods yesterday and have it prepped for paint. Now when?s my next over 60? day? ?forecast for Friday!
Attachments
Snow Day in March.jpg and
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm

imho don't leave it too long like that because it will cause blistering. grp doesn't like those conditions
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Point well taken, but if you are referring to outside storage, that boat has sailed. It?s been stored outside on and off for the last thirty years. It has been outside, disassembled and tarped, since November and it hasn't been stripped yet.

As wet as it looks in the picture, we only get an average of 8.33 inches of precipitation per year. May is the only month that averages more than an inch. I?m getting the chassis and drive train back together now. When that?s done the chassis will have to go outside and the body will come in to complete those repairs. By the time it?s painted it should be virtually free of any trapped moisture.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 pm

piss-ant wrote:....

Looks good 2.JPG

What's over the exhaust opening?

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

peterako wrote:
piss-ant wrote:....

The attachment Looks good 2.JPG is no longer available

What's over the exhaust opening?

Peter

15 year old Supertrap.JPG and

Hi Peter
It's called a SuperTrapp its basically a glass-pack muffler with diffuser baffles and a back cover. More baffles less is back treasure and more noise, 10 diffusers will make you deaf in 4 hours, I run with 7 now... :D
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_secti ... /index.asp

elan-archive-f16/more-photos-from-elan-rebuild-t4185.html

elan-photos-f18/the-resurrection-4597-many-photos-and-some-text-t16846.html

free-parking-f19/the-road-log-how-managed-arrive-t21402.html

It was too nice of a day to stay home so I wend down to Kingston and got sine pictures. I'll post the others later when I get a moment...
Lake Shore Drive.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for that piss-ant.

Looks interesting!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Gary,

It looks you are out driving often in Massachusetts. I'm just curious, do people ever strike up a conversation about your Elan? Do they ask what it is , or even know what it is?

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jebracing » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:07 am

Dropped in at the paint shop to see how my body was looking after some repair/touch up (a small disaster in the garage) and having the satin black done.

Bob, go pay him a visit.

JB
Attachments
Livonia-20120307-00014 (800x600).jpg and
Livonia-20120307-00015 (2) (800x600).jpg and
Livonia-20120307-00016 (800x600).jpg and
Regards,

JB
67 Airflow FHC
36/7398 RHD
Plymouth,MI
jebracing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 am

Pretty, good.

Did they do the bumpers in situ or have they remounted them for you?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jebracing » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 am

They put them back on for me.
Regards,

JB
67 Airflow FHC
36/7398 RHD
Plymouth,MI
jebracing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 am

Hi Jerry

The Coupe looks great in that red, what is it? Looks similar to 1993 Ford Performance red that I painted the Spyder chassis that was installed in 45/8221.

lotocone wrote:Gary,

It looks you are out driving often in Massachusetts. I'm just curious, do people ever strike up a conversation about your Elan? Do they ask what it is , or even know what it is?

Bob

Hi Bob

I get some questions about my S2 but most don't know the Elan or what it is and look at the back to read the "Lotus Elan S2" off of it and some then say it out loud. I think Lotus in the U.S. has faded from a lot of folks memories (the Esprit or Elise are so very different) as time has moved on as they did. This topic was to get people to show off there cars whether it was a pile of bits or a very original. The fact is folks do forget and I don't want our members and those guests that visit this forum to. I derive a lot of pleasure from mine and I hope those that own them do or will too. This Topic started in September as a thought of the weather wasn't getting any better but in reality it has and winter is a great time to enjoy an Elan as the roads are not that busy with summer people clogging up my byways. This winter has been "the winter that wont" as the salt has been minimal (washed away by rain a day or 4 after it been applied) and sand has not been used at all in my town. The day after Christmas was great, I was exercising my right foot a great deal and needed to change the lanes I was on often as the rear view mirror seems to vibrate excessively and those lights could have been anyone and I did not really want to talk with anyone that afternoon. I guess you could have called my behavior some what antisocial. So was the grin :D

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: