good mechanical state and average bodywork or vice versa ?

PostPost by: Humberty » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:05 am

The topic is still open however I have no put a deposit on the mechanically fully rebuilt car, should be picking it up by the end of the month after MOT (french one) gets sorted. I'll post few pictures in due time.

I'd like to thank you all for your helpful participation.

See you soon around this forum, I'm sure I will have few questions .... first one being:
do any of you have a spare service book that you'd be willing to sale ?

thanks
Berenger
Humberty
New-tral

PostPost by: shynsy » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:30 pm

pharriso wrote:
Humberty wrote:My question is :
Would you privileged a car that is mechanically great (from the obvious recent work and amount spent with Lotus mindset) but with a body a bit tatty ?
or
Would you prefer a car with a Lotus chassis quite rusty (state unknown), oil dripping from bell housing but with an excellent body work ?
What do you think

It also depends on what sort of work you can do, or enjoy doing. Personally I hate bodywork & paintwork but do not mind any mechanical or electrical work. So the car I purchased I would rate the body/paint 9.5 (out of 10) but mechanically it was probably a 6 at best (now at 9+).

Completely agree.. I can do both but enjoy the mechanical/electrical much more.. I now generally choose cars with good bodywork and work on the mechanicals.. The only issue is that good bodywork ups the price more than good mechanicals (bit bizzare I know). It think people like shiny things.. I have a triumph stag with a new Rover V8 and completely rebuilt mechanicals and people only point out the faded paint!
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: