Bonnet spring.

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:03 pm

Hi
That is a totally different set up to my sprint. Whether it's an early set up or a bodge up I don't know. Unfortunately I cannot send pic from my Mac.I could do it on my phone if you send me an email.
Regards
G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:43 pm

Hi Mark
Pics sent to your email.Hope they help
Regards
G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:19 pm

Mark,

This is probably not what you want to hear. My bonnet would not lift, neither the old or new spring seemed strong enough. I used my tool bag hanging from the hook on the bonnet front, and kept putting things in the bag until the bonnet lifted, I then had a nearby spring company make me a spring to apply the same force. This spring is so strong I lost my nerve and have fitted two small compression springs at the screen end of the bonnet. The bonnet now pops up enough to get my fingers in and lift it up or off.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:22 pm

That seems the easiest solution.
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:56 pm

Have you considered going to the type 26 arrangement of two springs, one on each side near the hinge. My bonnet pops open nearly 45 degrees and is very easy to close. I don't have a heat blanket on the inside and I know there is no filler on it. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:16 pm

GLB wrote:Have you considered going to the type 26 arrangement of two springs, one on each side near the hinge. My bonnet pops open nearly 45 degrees and is very easy to close. I don't have a heat blanket on the inside and I know there is no filler on it. Gary

I think the problem with that is that the air path round the radiator is blocked on the post-26 body so there isn't room for the springs there.

For years I have had to pull one catch and press the other side of the bonnet to get it to rise and then 'bounce' it while pulling the other catch to get that to release too! Many years ago I fitted a new square-section foam rubber for the back of the bonnet (hood) to rest on and it used to spring up readily but not any longer.

My nylon screw heads (in the pivot area) are pretty flat now so perhaps the bonnet has moved back and is jamming. I've been meaning to add springs to help it release for years so perhaps this summer.....
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: