Black Badges did commemorate Jim Clark.

PostPost by: SENC » Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Ford didn't do anything towards the design of the black Lotus badge for use on the Lotus Cortina...the badge is Lotus copyright! The point there is that the black badge was designed back in 1964, and by Lotus!

Mark

That does not seem to be in debate or contradicted. I think the OP is simply saying that it's use in 68/69 was commemorative.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 13, 2024 6:25 pm

Henry, as this topic is about trying to establish facts, then it is surely correct to point out that it was Lotus who developed the black badge DESIGN in the first place in 1964, and subsequently used that design on their horn pushes and gear knobs in 1967.

So it wasn't a new concept having an all black badge when Graham had them made, and neither was it a new concept when the factory had them made for production cars from August 1968. Hardly a very special 'commemorative' gesture, especially as the black badges could be produced for less cost than a 2 coloured enamel badge.

As for the 'press release', I would be totally convinced if I saw a press release from Lotus to the effect reported in the Daily Mirror and the Lurgan Mail. If there had been such a press release, then surely it would have been reported in the leading car magazines of the time....Autocar, Motor, Motor Sport, Autosport and Motoring News. Lotus were massively newsworthy in 1968, as was Jim Clarks accident, and I find it very hard to believe that these magazines wouldn't have found the commemorative gesture by Lotus at all newsworthy.

Perhaps even more surprising is the lack of such an announcement in Lotus own magazines, the internal 'Lotus News' magazine and the public 'Lotus Magazine'. Wouldn't these have been great places to inform staff and Lotus enthusiasts of the commemorative intention? For months after Jim's accident the magazines are full of the history and personal memories of staff and fellow racers, but not a single mention of any commemorative gesture for the road cars.

I mentioned to Andy that I really don't an axe to grind in this debate, but I am really interested in getting the facts established. I'm not at all convinced by an entry in the Daily Mirror or the Lurgan Mail as these stories could very easily have been initiated by dealers at the time noticing black badges appearing on the road cars and putting the story together. Neither paper is one that would be reading matter for the typical Lotus buyer in 1968! I'm also not convinced that Lotus going to all the trouble of sticking a black badge on the road cars for a couple of years would be seen at the time as a fitting tribute to such a loved and admired man.

But if the firm evidence is provided then I would certainly accept it!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Henry, as this topic is about trying to establish facts, then it is surely correct to point out that it was Lotus who developed the black badge DESIGN in the first place in 1964, and subsequently used that design on their horn pushes and gear knobs in 1967.

Mark - I simply mean that I didn't see Andy or any others disagree or state to the contrary, and that the thread topic seemed primarily focused on whether the previously designed badge was used to commemorate Jim Clark.

Your following comments, though, I find quite useful on the topic - and certainly understand your hesitancy in changing your resulting conclusions. Perhaps one day a more conclusive document will surface, but in the meantime it appears (to me) that Andy's research and evidence has at least as much weight as Graham Arnold's testimony - as such it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe either way.

Elanintheforest wrote:As for the 'press release', I would be totally convinced if I saw a press release from Lotus to the effect reported in the Daily Mirror and the Lurgan Mail. If there had been such a press release, then surely it would have been reported in the leading car magazines of the time....Autocar, Motor, Motor Sport, Autosport and Motoring News. Lotus were massively newsworthy in 1968, as was Jim Clarks accident, and I find it very hard to believe that these magazines wouldn't have found the commemorative gesture by Lotus at all newsworthy.

I did find that Autocar did also pick this up in August 1968. It strikes me as odd that 3 separate publications reported similarly, but as you said, who knows what they could have picked up other than a release from Lotus.

Screenshot_20240513_200830_Chrome.jpg and

H
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue May 14, 2024 6:05 am

Ok folks, some of you are going to consider this a very cynical post and I'll admit it's a personal observation based on facts given in this thread rather than any other insight.

Fact - Clark's crash was 7th April, 1968 ?

Fact - Black badges were used on Fords and on the horn push & gear knob of Elans prior to this. It is relevant what Ford did because as previously pointed out, the Lotus logo is copyright and Ford would be using the badges with permission from Lotus. As pure conjecture, the black badge may well have been introduced by Lotus to separate those used by Ford from Lotus ?

Fact - Black badges were used on the S4 from August, as reported in some media outlets. I agree it is strange that this doesn't seem to have been picked up by Lotus in house publications.

Fact - My Elan is June '68 and from what I could see when I bought it in the mid 70s, in original condition. It has a black badge horn push & gear knob. The original bonnet badge was green/yellow and later replaced by me because it was chipped in a few places.

Cynical observation - If Lotus were intending to issue black badges to commemorate Jim Clark and they already had the design/manufacture in place, had used them on Arnold's S3 prior to April '68, then why didn't they introduce the badge earlier, say in May or June of 1968 ?

Why wait until August, which coincidentally was the UK introduction of the Elan S4 and registration plate change of that year ?

Note - I'm not arguing that any of the research posted on this thread is incorrect but I am surprised there doesn't seem to be an official PR release by Lotus, just reported conversations.

I have no doubt that this post will draw cries of "heresy !" but waiting 3 months for a new model Elan & UK registration plate change, a time when sales were traditionally boosted for the month of August sounds more like marketing spin than heartfelt commemoration to me. Yeah, I know, cynical.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 am

I am no expert but it appears the only person saying the black badge was not commemorative is Graham Arnold all other sources both people and printed at the time appear to say otherwise. Would I trust a fairly dodgy car sales man and known BS story teller or the researched facts. As with all things Lotus there will be inconsistencies but the overwhelming weight of evidence supports the use of black badges as commemorative.

GA states that Chapman told him to take the black badges of the company fleet Elans he used and this probably pissed off GA when Chapman then decided to use them later as a commemorative gesture hence his various stories about them.

Just my 2 cents worth

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:01 am

Controversial thought.
But Jim Clarke was such an awesome driver and apparently (according to my dad) an awesome person that whatever the folklore commemorating his death with a black lotus badge, whether intentional or not, it would seem that as lotus enthusiasts declaring it a commemorative badge would be fitting.

Discussing ( and i remember these same discussions 10 years ago when i was last on the forum) whether it actually was or not has always felt a little petty at best and at worse callous given the greatness of the man.

Can we agree that whatever the historical truth the sight of the black badge should remind us all of the all too early demise of one of team lotus's greatest drivers.
Tim
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 14, 2024 11:10 am

A great sentiment Tim.

I think that this debate has been very worthwhile, and Andy must be applauded for the research he has completed. It has moved the debate on a fair bit, if not conclusively for some of us! Henry's discovery of the announcement of the commemorative in Autocar certainly adds credibility to the argument, but it's a shame that some arguments seem to want to depend on discrediting / putting down Graham rather that relying on logic and evidence.

I will certainly continue to hunt down more information to see if anything more conclusive can be found!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 14, 2024 1:03 pm

I definitely agree with Tim's sentiment.

I also can't argue with Mark's or Rohan's or Brian's observations. It seems to me the basic facts are well established (designed pre-68, predominantly used mid/late 68 through 69) - and we're left to speculate on intent of that predominant use based on contradicting evidence. With what is at hand, I can't see calling either conclusion patently incorrect (as has been done outside this thread, here and other places, for years).

Specifically to the argument/question of why, if commemorative, Lotus didn't more broadly advertise the fact: it isn't hard for me to imagine not wanting to use this or even risk it being interpreted as a marketing gimmick. It seems clear they did not attempt to brand it a "Jim Clark" edition - which may have been seen cynically as an attempt to make money off the tradegy. What's more, with Mike Spence's subsequent death, I'm not sure highlighting the recent safety record would have been wise. Ultimately, a quiet nod to Jim doesn't seem inconsistent (to me) with either Lotus interests or with his friendship with Colin.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 14, 2024 2:26 pm

SENC wrote:I definitely agree with Tim's sentiment.

I also can't argue with Mark's or Rohan's or Brian's observations. It seems to me the basic facts are well established (designed pre-68, predominantly used mid/late 68 through 69) - and we're left to speculate on intent of that predominant use based on contradicting evidence. With what is at hand, I can't see calling either conclusion patently incorrect (as has been done outside this thread, here and other places, for years).

Specifically to the argument/question of why, if commemorative, Lotus didn't more broadly advertise the fact: it isn't hard for me to imagine not wanting to use this or even risk it being interpreted as a marketing gimmick. It seems clear they did not attempt to brand it a "Jim Clark" edition - which may have been seen cynically as an attempt to make money off the tradegy. What's more, with Mike Spence's subsequent death, I'm not sure highlighting the recent safety record would have been wise. Ultimately, a quiet nod to Jim doesn't seem inconsistent (to me) with either Lotus interests or with his friendship with Colin.

Spot on Henry.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Tue May 14, 2024 2:55 pm

SENC wrote:I definitely agree with Tim's sentiment.

Very good points Henry..
Current Cars: '72 Elan +2S130/5, '72 Triumph Stag 3.9L, '72 Spitifire Mk IV. Past Cars: '72 Triumph TR6 (supercharged), '70 MG Midget (K-Series + Type 9), '76 Triumph 2500TC, '72 Lotus Elan +2S130/4, '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 pm

Perhaps any further discussions should also include a donation to the Jim Clarke Museum trust in Duns?
https://jimclarktrust.com/jim-clark-trust/donations/
Tim
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:41 pm

http://lotus-europa.com/causer/badges.html. Lot(u)s of info here on the different badges.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:15 pm

shynsy wrote:Perhaps any further discussions should also include a donation to the Jim Clarke Museum trust in Duns?
https://jimclarktrust.com/jim-clark-trust/donations/
Tim

Jim CLARK.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Wed May 15, 2024 5:58 am

Apologies. Autocorrect gets me again.
shynsy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Mon May 20, 2024 7:32 pm

I don’t know if this adds anything to the discussion, but here’s what Graham Arnold wrote in 1981 in ‘The Lotus Elan and Plus Two Buyers Guide’, published by him as the then owner of the business misleadingly called ‘Club Lotus’:

“BLACK BADGE MODELS. Some time after Jim Clark was killed the company changed over from the traditional Lotus yellow and green bonnet badge to a black and silver design. This followed the similar lead of Rolls Royce who changed their badge from red to black on the death of Rolls.”

My Plus 2 was manufactured in May 1968 and registered on 18 June 1968. It was photographed wearing a black badge in the Summer of that year so presumably it was fitted from new.
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: