tyres

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:40 pm

Fair enough, Dougal.

I'm afraid I bought 4 x XAS from you last year, before the 'tomatoes' were available. I am mighty pleased with them, I must say.

In fact there are Michelins on all my cars now, including the incredibly good CrossClimate + on my 4x4.

I've already done some 4,000 miles on the XAS, so at that rate it won't be too long before I can try the Pirellis. Incidentally, since you have become such a good customer of theirs, do you get a load of Pirelli calendars each year?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:45 am

Good work , Dougal.
I had some XAS's from you a couple of years ago, shall have to wait for another tomato harvest.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:55 am

Doug, I have both the Dunlop and Pirelli XAS both fresh sets. I have the XAS on Minilte and the Dunlop on steel OEM.
I'll tell you upfront, I can't (yet) say good or bad about either. Dunlops went on first, car felt a whole lot better the Chinese shite that they replaced. A couple of weeks later the XAS were offered at a huge discount (friend in US got them as because of a DOT) issue!
Anyway pulled the Pirelli and put the XAS on ..
handling got worse!
The XAS are 165 FF and the higher profile looks weird. And the bad handling I noticed more on the XAS comes down to worn output shaft on one side.
So to cut a long story short, I will report when I get that issue fixed! Stay tuned !
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:00 am

I just ordered a set of the Pirelli's from Dougal's competition here in the states. 155/80's and from having Pirelli tires in the past expect that I will be satisfied.

I have played with Sprites and Midgets for decades and usually put 10 to 15K a year on at least one of them so I do go through tires.

I loved Falkens and fitted them to everything for years but Falken decided to no longer offer 13" tires in the US. Had a set shipped from England and discovered that Falken had gone to the same terrible tread pattern that virtually all manufacturers of 13" tires have. That is wide grooves that run all the way around the circumference of the tire. Sold that set just because I didn't like the tread pattern. Those grooves tend to want to follow the grooves in our paved roads and will throw you all over the road on that type of road. They also pick up rocks and toss them into the wheel well's. On Spridgets the occasional bang of a rock being thrown into the steel wheel well is quite evident but on our fiberglass cars!!???

I went to a lot of work repairing rock crazing on my Elan fenders and made some under fender mods to protect that tender fiberglass in the future. I really don't care to make the problem worse with the type of tire we are now almost completely forced to use. That leaves me with classic patterns like the Pirelli's and I hope I can keep getting them.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:23 am

trw99 wrote:Fair enough, Dougal.

I'm afraid I bought 4 x XAS from you last year, before the 'tomatoes' were available. I am mighty pleased with them, I must say.

In fact there are Michelins on all my cars now, including the incredibly good CrossClimate + on my 4x4.

I've already done some 4,000 miles on the XAS, so at that rate it won't be too long before I can try the Pirellis.

Michelin are always a safe bet. their dedication to quality is incredible.

trw99 wrote:Incidentally, since you have become such a good customer of theirs, do you get a load of Pirelli calendars each year?

Tim

Now there is a sad thing. In this modern generic super safe and sterile world, Pirelli no longer make the calendar!

I might also point out that Longstone Tyres took a leaf out of Pirellis book and tried to make buying tyres sexy with our advertising campaign which has also been crushed in an attack of wokeness we were attacked by the advertising standards commision for the adverts we were procucing, which is why our adverts are now more generic in the bland world of the 21st Century.

Thank goodness for Lotus Elans!

Thank goodness for historic Pirelli advertising films! https://cinturato.net/tortoise-and-hare.html

The advertising standards commision can quash creative amusing adverts in magazines. However they cannot control any of the posters we produce and give out for free if you follow this link through.
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... oster.html
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:25 am

holywood3645 wrote:Doug, I have both the Dunlop and Pirelli XAS both fresh sets. I have the XAS on Minilte and the Dunlop on steel OEM.
I'll tell you upfront, I can't (yet) say good or bad about either. Dunlops went on first, car felt a whole lot better the Chinese shite that they replaced. A couple of weeks later the XAS were offered at a huge discount (friend in US got them as because of a DOT) issue!
Anyway pulled the Pirelli and put the XAS on ..
handling got worse!
The XAS are 165 FF and the higher profile looks weird. And the bad handling I noticed more on the XAS comes down to worn output shaft on one side.
So to cut a long story short, I will report when I get that issue fixed! Stay tuned !
James

I think a 165R13 is only relly suited to the +2?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... /elan.html
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:39 am

nomad wrote:I just ordered a set of the Pirelli's from Dougal's competition here in the states. 155/80's and from having Pirelli tires in the past expect that I will be satisfied.

I have played with Sprites and Midgets for decades and usually put 10 to 15K a year on at least one of them so I do go through tires.

I loved Falkens and fitted them to everything for years but Falken decided to no longer offer 13" tires in the US. Had a set shipped from England and discovered that Falken had gone to the same terrible tread pattern that virtually all manufacturers of 13" tires have. That is wide grooves that run all the way around the circumference of the tire. Sold that set just because I didn't like the tread pattern. Those grooves tend to want to follow the grooves in our paved roads and will throw you all over the road on that type of road. They also pick up rocks and toss them into the wheel well's. On Spridgets the occasional bang of a rock being thrown into the steel wheel well is quite evident but on our fiberglass cars!!???

I went to a lot of work repairing rock crazing on my Elan fenders and made some under fender mods to protect that tender fiberglass in the future. I really don't care to make the problem worse with the type of tire we are now almost completely forced to use. That leaves me with classic patterns like the Pirelli's and I hope I can keep getting them.

Kurt
26/3754

Aha! this is interesting:

nomad wrote:Those grooves tend to want to follow the grooves in our paved roads and will throw you all over the road

That is not the grooves that is doing that. The cause of that "tracking" is the unsuitable carcass of a modern tyre design. Modern tyres and modern cars are very clever. However what makes a modern tyre really clever on a modern car makes a classic tyre handle worse than it does on a proper classic tyre. like wise one of these really high quality performance classic tyres will not handle very well on a modern car chasiss.

What is happening is the edges of your tyres are picking up the uneveness off the ropad, because they have a wider squarer foot print. the outer edges of this footprint is further away from your steering and increases the leverage on them.

Those grooves are good at dispersing standing water, and cutting down noise. and i guess picking up stones.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:45 am

dougal cawley wrote:
I think a 165R13 is only relly suited to the +2?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... /elan.html

I'll try to post some pics on an S4 shell
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:15 am

So, these images were made 18 months ago.............in association with Longstone Tyres!
I should explain that I bought one tyre from each size and I came to a restocking agreement with Longstone for the return of those I didn't want. Thank you Dougal, that is why I don't go elsewhere.

Body shell is S4 SE. Wheels are Revolution 5 spokes, I'm unsure of the offset. I'm pretty sure they are 5" wide, ie +2 size

First is with the old tyres, Uniroyal Rain expert 165/70 13
Uniroyal165.70(3)_IMG_2249.jpg and

Uniroyal165.70.13(2)_IMG_2251.jpg and

Uniroyal165.70.13_IMG_2250.jpg and

Next the Pirelli Cinturato 175/70 13
PirelliCinturato175.70_IMG_2254.jpg and

PirelliCinturato175.70(2)_IMG_2254.jpg and

As you can see, these are too big. I suspect 165 would be too.

Next Avon CR6ZZ 175/70 13. These are great tyres. I run the 185 on the 26GTS where a road legal tyre is required for trackdays. I really wanted these to work, but they are too big.
AvonCR6ZZ175.70_IMG_2256.jpg and

AvonCR6ZZ175.70(2)_IMG_2256.jpg and
Last edited by 661 on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:21 am

Finally the Michelin XASs, first the 165 13 , then the 155 13
MichelinXAS165.13_IMG_2252.jpg and

MichelinXAS165.13(2)_IMG_2253.jpg and

MichelinXAS155.70_IMG_2259.jpg and

MichelinXAS155.70(2)_IMG_2259.jpg and

I went with the 155 XAS
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:00 pm

dougal cawley wrote:
Hi Dougal,
I bought XAS 155x13 around 10 years ago from you. The car has covered less than 3000 miles in that time so given the age of the rubber I might be interested in the Pirelli. Question is how do I know if they are bad? They don’t feel hard and are in perfect condition.

What photos would you like. Attached is my Sprint with your XAS if you are interested.

Regards
Mark

I would love some pictures of an Elan on this new 155R13 Cinturato if someone is happy for us to use it in an advert or on our web site.

Apologies if my over posting upsets people. However when i get a new tyre made it is a massive investment, and i am very keep to spread the good news. If i don't do that the take up of a new tyre can be slow.

I think this tyre is really good news, particularly for you guys. The Dunlop, which is a pretty good tyre, is £ 159+VAT and i beleive the Cinturato to be a better tyre for an Elan. I think the XAS is a comparative tyre that might have the edge on motorways is £ 200+ Vodka And Tonic! One hundred smackers more the the new Skinned Tomato at £99+VAT. I would take the Cinturato over XAS on country lanes. I think that is great news for you guys. To be candid to get this to happen and keep that price, i had to buy loads. i am up to my eye balls in them. That is why i am keen to let you guys know they are now able get the good stuff. I have to spread the word or they dont sell fast enough, then we end up with old date codes. nobody wants that.
Attachments
1-JR6_7674.jpeg and
DSC01015.jpeg and
1-JR6_7752.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sinbad007 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:33 pm

Hi all.
S4 owner here thinking about tyres soon....
The previous owner rebuilt the car and put new Minilite knock offs on which look great but he purchased 6.5J instead of 5.5J wheels. So the car is wearing 165 tyres and cannot go down to 155 on these wheels. So I am stuck with 165 tyres and XAS do not come in that size?
The car drives very well and my only critisism is fairly heavy steering at parking speeds and a tyre that rubs the body everytime I turn into my driveway but no other time. It's a turn and drop at the same time.
So any recomendations? I also understand some modern tyres can be too "broad" regardless of their size?
It would be great to hear from an S4 owner using 6.5J wheels and 165 tyres with no complaints???
Sinbad007
New-tral

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:56 pm

Dougal, there is no doubt that the wide grooves I am referring to pick up rocks and fling them into the wheel well. As to their usefulness at dispersing water, I have been driving long enough to know when conditions are unsafe and I sure am tired of people trying to protect me! Or are they trying to protect big insurance profits???

Kurt
26/3754

dougal
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:50 pm

Sinbad007 wrote:Hi all.
S4 owner here thinking about tyres soon....
The previous owner rebuilt the car and put new Minilite knock offs on which look great but he purchased 6.5J instead of 5.5J wheels. So the car is wearing 165 tyres and cannot go down to 155 on these wheels. So I am stuck with 165 tyres and XAS do not come in that size?
The car drives very well and my only critisism is fairly heavy steering at parking speeds and a tyre that rubs the body everytime I turn into my driveway but no other time. It's a turn and drop at the same time.
So any recomendations? I also understand some modern tyres can be too "broad" regardless of their size?
It would be great to hear from an S4 owner using 6.5J wheels and 165 tyres with no complaints???

For me on my Sprint which is same body as S4 the Minilites should be 5J not 5.5J.
Maybe you could sell your Minilites to someone with a +2 Elan.
Then find some 5J for your S4.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sinbad007 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:09 am

My mistake.... I am running 5.5J wheels not 6.5J.
Sinbad007
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: