S2 Elan field find - looks like a good candidate

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Chris
I have some nice two blad fans...

As far as Tims parts go I think the windscreen tie rod is going to be a hit. I need 4 or 5, lets see those license plate rubber bits, uummm 5. This could be expensive...

Gary

p.s. - Is this for Club lotus only?
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: posulliv » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:27 pm

What a great find, and excellent pictures as well. Thanks for posting these.

I have an S2 of 1965 vintage, with service records since new. I mention this because my car also had the plastic fan and the three-eared oil filler cap. (The fan blade self destructed a few years ago.)

I can't find any service records showing that these items were replaced, and the P.O. I got the car from isn't the sort of person to have replaced these items himself. Circumstantial evidence as to originality at best, I know. That said, I'm looking for a round fill cap, since it looks wrong to me too.

Gary,

I think I'm going to have to have a 2mm tension rod made up in order to finish my car for the LOG. No one wants to make just one, so if you're serious about needing some let me know.
posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:21 pm

fotsyr wrote:This S2 had a plastic fan, see above photo. Pretty sure it was a ford itme at the time.
chris

Chris,

You're correct if it's the same one that came on my S4. It has the Ford logo on it.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:17 pm

posulliv wrote:I have an S2 of 1965 vintage, with service records since new. I mention this because my car also had the plastic fan and the three-eared oil filler cap. (The fan blade self destructed a few years ago.)

My July '65 build S2 had the two bladed metal fan, which also self-destructed at a track event. I replaced it with the plastic fan. It no longer surprises me that some cars had the round cap and metal fan, and others made at the same time had the three-eared cap and plastic fan - or any combination of the two. In any case, I am thinking of going to an electric fan and getting rid of the engine-driven fan.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:59 pm

When I got my first Elan, I looked in the engine bay and saw this funny plastic engine driven fan. It also had a small electric temperature actuated pusher fan in front of the radiator.

Now, at idle or low speed, the engine pulls virtually no air through the radiator. Without the temperature actuated electric fan, the engine would largely be dependent on thermosyphon for cooling. No wonder many cars overheat in stop and go traffic.

At high engine speeds, the engine driven fans soaks up quite a bit of power, but the fan is not needed then.

So the first thing I did was remove that poor plastic excuse for a fan.

There are some who believe that the water pump reliability is enhanced without the engine driven fan.

Maybe for concours display you need the engine driven fan.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

nhhiker wrote:........The wheels on this car are the original (magnesium) Minilites. .......

Bill Fralick

I was about to reply to say that the wheels looked the wrong section for Minilites and look exactly like Cooper Car Co wheels (from which Minilites were copied). However, if they are Magnesium, that explains it; the curved "spokes" go much nearer to the rim on the Mag wheels than the Ally versions.
I would take advice from a metallurgist before using these in anger (from half-remembered college stuff, Mag can go "rotten" if it is exposed to the atmosphere for a prolonged period). Certainly don't go striking any matches nearby. :twisted:

Anyone got a spare set of Cooper Mags to fit a Mini?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: