1972 Lotus Elan BDG

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:00 pm

What spec is the engine? Looks a lot smarter than mine, but that has been in the car since 1971! I'm currrently having a 2.1 BDA / BDG built, but can't decide what to put it in yet... there is a S4 dhc lurking in the barn with a tired engine, and it's looking nervous :D

I'd be interested to hear what sort of mods you had to make to fit it into the 2 seat Elan....and where you obtained the exhaust manifold.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2sheds » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:What spec is the engine? Looks a lot smarter than mine, but that has been in the car since 1971! I'm currrently having a 2.1 BDA / BDG built, but can't decide what to put it in yet... there is a S4 dhc lurking in the barn with a tired engine, and it's looking nervous :D

I'd be interested to hear what sort of mods you had to make to fit it into the 2 seat Elan....and where you obtained the exhaust manifold.

Mark
Dynoed at 248.7 hp @ 8182 rpm 172.6 ft lb @6825 rpm it still needs a final dyno when running with the exhaust which was made for me by Maniflow Ltd Salisbury. Everything has been tight for space I have had a dry sump tank, radiator, and catch tank made and fitted them all along with an oil cooler into the nose area, the clearance, of the exhaust on the nearside and the starter motor and throttle bodies on the offside is minimal something is bound to knock. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
2sheds
New-tral

PostPost by: blackandgold » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:44 am

Looking good, its going to be real flyer

Great to see a real twin cam for a change

I would be interested in what the running gear your are using gearbox, diff and drive shafts ect and also what engine management you intend using as well as the specs on the engine
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:28 am

Should spin the rims inside the tyres!

I guess you've lowered the engine in the chassis compared to the standard twincam, hence the throttle bodies are close to the bodywork. My Plus 2 was kept on the standard chassis and engine mounts, and had to have a bump put into the bonnet to clear the cam wheels....the easy solution.

Interesting that the manifold came from Maniflow...I didn't realise they made one-offs. Did they have to have the car there for a while to make up the system?

When's the eta for getting the car on the road / track? I'm near Gloucester and would love to come and have a look.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi twosheds,

your engine installation looks brilliant; I like that sort of thing.
I'm getting about 185 bhp from the fairly cooking Zetec in my S4 & that's pretty hairy.
285 bhp is just evil.
Are you going to put your car on the road or is it purely for competion?
If so I'd be interested in either what you do about insurance & / or what catagory for racing?

Like your name by the way.
I've often thought about calling myself "smoke too much" almost everybody else imply it.
If my driving doesn't kill me the fags will :oops:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2sheds » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Should spin the rims inside the tyres!

I guess you've lowered the engine in the chassis compared to the standard twincam, hence the throttle bodies are close to the bodywork. My Plus 2 was kept on the standard chassis and engine mounts, and had to have a bump put into the bonnet to clear the cam wheels....the easy solution.

Interesting that the manifold came from Maniflow...I didn't realise they made one-offs. Did they have to have the car there for a while to make up the system?

When's the eta for getting the car on the road / track? I'm near Gloucester and would love to come and have a look.

Mark
2sheds
New-tral

PostPost by: 2sheds » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:49 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:Hi twosheds,

your engine installation looks brilliant; I like that sort of thing.
I'm getting about 185 bhp from the fairly cooking Zetec in my S4 & that's pretty hairy.
285 bhp is just evil.
Are you going to put your car on the road or is it purely for competion?
If so I'd be interested in either what you do about insurance & / or what catagory for racing?

Like your name by the way.
I've often thought about calling myself "smoke too much" almost everybody else imply it.
If my driving doesn't kill me the fags will :oops:

Cheers
John
2sheds
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:30 am

Ooops called you "twosheds" instead of "2sheds".
Nice of you to quote Mark & me though :?
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:58 pm

...don't know if there have been any newer posts, I looked but couldn't find any.
Nice to meet you today at the Donington show, and nice to see the car in the flesh - looks really good. Really good.

Like the man said - 'bet you upset a few Cortina drivers' - like you said, 'bet you upset more Elan owners!'

Not me.

Shame I didn't take any piccies.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Nice to talk to you 2sheds, I too looked at this car yesterday, I found it fascinating the lengths that 2sheds had gone to in putting it all together.
Especially liked the homemade 6 speed Mazda box.

Saw a little movie clip on track left an Elise and Exige for dead :shock:

The only words I can use to describe the car are absolutely stunning, if this is what you want.

Doug (not dog 2sheds)
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: