A brief update on my S4 resto

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:35 am

alan.barker wrote:bonjour Jonb,
nice to know you've woken up.
While your awake could you tell us how your Baby S4 is coming along. Can she walk yet or burble.
Alan

(From another thread which I did not want to hijack.)

First of all, the body. I reported last year that it was painted and posted some pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=29927&f=50&start=720#p390813

I ordered a new dash from Nick Martin. Took a while but I am pleased with it.

viewtopic.php?t=54702&p=399167

I've sorted the door frames too. Lots of polishing!

viewtopic.php?t=54844&p=400187

In the intervening time, I've been sorting out the chassis and all the rusty bits. I bought a blast cabinet and have been blasting, painting and otherwise restoring parts. It's a boring grind but the results speak for themselves. The general approach is to prime with Bondo Zinc oxide primer, followed by one or more coats of Simoniz Tough Paint in satin black. This stuff's acrylic but resists patrol spillage. Not as tough as I hoped but certainly good enough especially with the Bondo primer underneath (which is double tough 'ard). Definitely better than Hammerite!

The chassis was hard work. First, it needed repairs to both front turrets (rusted out somewhat). The welder who did this is a bit of a magician, as you cannot tell it has been repaired. It looks completely stock. Then I scraped all the bitumen paint off it, or as much as I could, then gave it a good coat of Bondo then sprayed it with Tough Paint. looks the biz. I had a Spyder style tow hook welded onto the front crossmember, too. Then I acquired a brake pipe flaring tool and some Kunifer and laid new brake pipes on the chassis. And that is where chassis work ends...

A few highlights for you...

IMG_2749.jpg and
Heater / oil pressure gauge

IMG_2926.jpg and
Rear brake calipers

IMG_2699.jpg and
Foot pedals

IMG_2577.jpg and
Close up of the heater box paint finish

IMG_2574.jpg and
Cabin heater flap assemblies

IMG_2581.jpg and
Testing the heater box fan

IMG_2582.jpg and
Heater box

IMG_2666.jpg and
Headlight bowls. They're cheap to replace of course, but even cheaper to restore. One of them needed a repair to its rim (rusted out), which was done with fibreglass and superglue (instead of resin). It's rock hard now.

IMG_2694.jpg and
Vacuum pods. One had a broken actuating rod and had to be pulled apart for a new rod to be fixed to the diaphragm. Not that easy to to, but not too hard either.

FE82E463-EF1E-45E7-8DE7-0A5634364398.jpg and
Sparto indicator repeater

I should also add that the hubs, carriers / uprights, steering rack, rear springs etc have all been painted per above. I did some experiments with the rack, fitting it and seeing what shims are needed to match the measurement given by Brian Buckland. Turns out I need one shim on the left hand mount, nothing on the right, but of course I will be testing bump steer when the front hubs are on. The front shock absorbers are going to be replaced (TTR ones i think) but I'm not sure about the rears. They are the standard Armstrong red inserts and they do feel like they have some life left in them. I'm tempted to try them first.

As usual, restoration work has to take second fiddle to life in general. In my case a restoration of another sort, a house, as we had moved here (Herefordshire) from the South Coast just before I acquired the car. I think we are more or less there after a bit of a plumbing epic that entailed a bathroom, loo and en-suite, followed by tiling and vinyl fitting (both, I am ashamed to say, I had done professionally). Oh and restoration of the ride-on mower which threw a blade and destroyed part of the mower deck. Can't forget the mower work, folk are keen to hear about that... :roll:
Last edited by JonB on Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Oct 18, 2024 11:42 am

Some more shiny bits..

IMG_4469.jpg and
Tacho / speedo cases and bezel. Had to paint the cases as they were a bit rusty. Bezels came up OK with a bit of patina. You might also spot the fag lighter and vacuum pull valve (headlights) which have been cleaned and brush painted. Vacuum switch appears to be working.

IMG_2768.jpg and
Lots of parts getting painted. This is pretty early on, you can see the front wishbones in the foreground.

IMG_2560.jpg and
Heater fan

IMG_2790.jpg and
Rad top

IMG_2822.jpg and
Radiator and fan

IMG_2902.jpg and
Couldn't resist trying the rear bumper out, it's the only one that will sit on the body without a bolt.

IMG_2757.jpg and
Side repeater lamp holders. Blasted and brush painted.

IMG_2904.jpg and
Control unit after very careful blasting. I still need to clean the internal contacts.

IMG_2756.jpg and
Front sidelight lenses. Had to buy new here as the old ones had melted a bit.
Last edited by JonB on Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:05 pm

..and some more..

IMG_4472.jpg and
Tacho and speedo reassembled

I spent a lot of time restoring the front indicator holders and lenses. Polish, polish, polish. Also, the rear light clusters. They're pitted with the usual blobs but came up shiny. One of the lenses was damaged, missing a piece. Which I duly discovered floating about in the glove box. So that's glued back together and thank you very much, I have saved quite a bit of money.

The centre console also needed repairing. I'm sure I posted photos of it on here as I'd put up a wanted ad for any bits of broken console I could use to repair it. Lo and behold, BB512 had the actual missing fragment lying about (as he had sold the car to me) and sent it. A bit of fibreglassing and some - wait for it - charcoal and superglue (!) later, the console's fixed and you can barely see the repair.

A couple of weeks ago I got a bit bored with blasting & painting and thought it was about time I addressed the elephant in the room - the engine! I pulled the head and cleaned it up a bit.

IMG_4391.jpg and

Hmm, I think it needs more scrubbing... Anyway, I pulled No.4 valve to check the condition of the guide and mating surface. Some play, which I was told required sorting - more on that soon. The block got a wash but it's very hard to remove the oil stains from the casting surfaces. I took it and the head to a nearby engine shop. They quoted me something a bit outrageous to do all the work, including new valve guides and valves. I was discussing this last week with 512BB (Leslie) and he suggested I bought it all over to him and we could have a look and then take it to a shop nearby and get better prices. Leslie was of the opinion that I was about to be rooked!

So, up at 0530am and a foggy drive across the Cotswolds to get to Leslie's at 10am. Yes, it really took that long. We had a look at the valves. Leslie pronounced them OK. We took the oil pickup / return pipes off the block and removed the welch plugs. Much gritty buildup was found in the water jacket, so we hosed it down. Much better now. Also, the welch plug in the head by the breather tube was removed, and oil sludge was found behind it. Leslie's view was the engine had not really been maintained well WRT oil changes, so bad was the build up. Good job he didn't see what I'd scraped out of the sump!

Anyway.. we drove off to the machine shop and handed it all over. The job list includes a rebore to +20, polish of the crankshaft (but will be ground if necessary), reface flywheel, full balance, possible con rod cap work, some other stuff I can't remember. Block will be dipped. I've acquired a +20 piston set from QED, it is forged and extremely expensive. Also, a new jackshaft per my other thread. Turnaround time should be a month so back by mid December, maybe.

I went to see my older daughter for dinner, then drove home in the foulest rain imaginable. I finally arrived at 11:40pm with memories of the Peterborough trip I'd made to Spyder to get the Plus 2 chassis fixed.

Meanwhile, I've started ordering parts to get me to the rolling chassis stage. I put in a fat order to Susan Miller and commodity part orders went to ANG and MEV. Susan's order includes all the seals, gaskets and mounts to get the engine and box back in the chassis, as well as parts to restore the diff (basically seals and a new pinion bearing, crush tube plus output shaft bearings). Having been on this merry-go-round before I will be a bit more careful about the pinion nut tightening technique.

I've also been looking at the wiring, so as to better understand what needs doing. Decided for now not to get new looms until I am sure mine are beyond repair. So far, pretty good - I had to trace out the engine loom to work out the ignition wiring (which I thought was all hacked up but it turns out only the coil +ve (white) wire has been cut so easy to fix). Next up will be the dash loom and switches.

So, to summarise, the car is still in pieces, but they are mostly very good looking pieces!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:56 pm

All looks very good Jon! Thanks for updating us all.
You have been very busy and although you obviously still have a long way to go it looks like you have broken the back of it so to speak.
Also nice to see you retained the original colour!
I will look forward to reading more updates, as and when... :D

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:06 pm

Thanks JonB,
for the nice update.
On my Sprint i fitted a Lucas Alternator so the Electrics work better. I gutted the Original Voltage Control and used it as a Junction Box. Also put a second Cable(brown) from the Alternator to Solenoid Terminal because Alterntor is 45 Amps and Generator was only 22Amps.
I think it's a good mod and a Lucas Alternator was an option.
Keep up the good work JonB
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:46 pm

Thanks Alan and Alan.

I'm not sure a Lucas alternator is a good idea unless I can get an original. On Oliver Naylor's YouTube channel, I just watched him discard a repro 17ACR because it failed. He replaced it with a Denso unit that is much smaller, weighs 2/3 of the Lucas and puts out 45 amps.

Given this is a relatively easy retro fit, I am going to start with the generator and control box; however they will both be restored. I tested the generator and it appears to be working. Control box, not so sure. When I ran the engine the charging light stayed on, but then, the engine loom wiring didn't look correctly connected up especially round the fuse box, and many circuits were inactive. Just thinking about it, I expect one of the fuses has gone.

I plan on replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs as I did on the Plus 2, which will help reduce current draw, so I hope the generator will cope given its measly 25A output. I'm not sure how best to do the headlights; the LED units I have seen so far have big heatsinks and I do not know if these will fit in the headlamp bowl, or, if they do fit, whether or not they will be able to dissipate enough heat.

I've analysed the wiring diagram (mainly to understand the ignition) and shouldn't have too much trouble working this out. As an aside, I sussed out how the S4 headlight flasher circuit operates. Apparently if I can get that functioning, I will officially attain some sort of expert status. Or not, haha.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: