Just a bunch of Cheeseheads

PostPost by: tbsmith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:00 am

But I need some. I need to install those nylon screws in the front area that the bonnet glides on since my car had a new front clip installed by a PO. With the new clip, there are no holes to go by, so could someone measure the distance from the trailing (or leading) edge, so I can drill the holes in the right place? I assume they are centered left to right.

Thanks!
Tom
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:22 am

tbsmith wrote: could someone measure the distance from the trailing (or leading) edge, so I can drill the holes in the right place? I

Here is a pic that should help,the centre one is a hex headed metal screw that attaches to the support bracket.
Starting at the plastic screw nearest to the engine they are approx 35mm apart with the last one being approx 55mm from number four.
Attachments
bonnet support screws.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:52 pm

This is a picture of my car - and the screws are plastic number plate fixings. I don?t think its recommended to have metal in contact with the F/G hood.
In order to match the two ?unmatched? radiuses use only three screws.
To ensure that two screw heads will always be in contact when the hood is up and down, fix the end screws and measure the gap where the third screw will be with the hood down with a piece of plasticine or the like. Then adjust the screw head thickness to just below the measured thickness.
This way the two end screw heads will be in contact when the hood is down, and the end and centre heads in contact when the hood is up.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
Attachments
Bonnet Runner.JPG and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:50 pm

bcmc33 wrote: I don?t think its recommended to have metal in contact with the F/G hood.I

No, thats true but the metal headed screw sits lower then the plastic screws and is stronger for attachment to the support bracket, it also does not contact the f/glass as the stainless steel strip is riveted to the bonnet and not the body, thats the way Lotus did it.
While the number plate screws undoubtedly work, from memory they have a slightly lower profile then the Lotus plastic screws and may require extra packing washers under the heads, they are of course thicker then the Lotus ones and a 6mm hole would have to be drilled.
Attachments
ss strip.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tbsmith » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Thanks for the pictures! Although maybe now I regret asking. My car (72 Federal Sprint) doesn't have a metal support bracket. It doesn't seem to really need it so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. Does it attach to the radiator support? Is it just to support the lip that the bonnet rests in?

My car does have the metal rub plate riveted to the bonnet, but without the nylon screws, it has been rubbing directly against the fiberglass. One of many little things to fix.

Tom

PS - Brian, good suggestion on locating the screws - that's what I'll do!
tbsmith
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Tom,

The Brian Buckland book shows five screws - the center one being steel to hold the scoop support bracket. I have no idea what the scoop is. (Someone is bound to tell me).
The support bracket on my car is from the radiator and fixed by the top screw. See the picture.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
Attachments
Radiator Supprort Bracket.JPG and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: