Hood (bonnet) pulls

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Tue May 28, 2002 1:53 pm

Hi Group, looking for some advise:

I've been meaning to tighten the holding nuts for the hood (bonnet) releases on my 66 S3, and, you guessed it, I waited too long and one came off this past weekend. Question is, what is the easiest way to gain access to put it back?

My first thought was to go through the radio insert (no radio in this car, and probably never will be), but unlike the 66 S2 I had awhile ago, there are no screws to remove the panel - it seems to be glued to pieces of wood that are in turn glued to the back of the dashboard. I'm guessing that this is a replacement dash that a PO put in as the glovebox door is a pull open only design , without a lock.

Before I gingerly try to extract the insert to gain access, I wondered if unscrewing and partially releasing the entire dashboard would make more sense. Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,
Jon Eckman
66 S3 S/E
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Tue May 28, 2002 2:13 pm

FWIW, my S3 Coupe' came from the factory with only a chrome pull and no
lock.

Stan
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gobw2 » Tue May 28, 2002 10:34 pm

Well, depending on which one is loose - access by removing cardboard
glovebox. George

On Tue, 28 May 2002 09:46:49 -0400 "Jon Eckman" <***@***.***>
writes:
gobw2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Wed May 29, 2002 2:34 pm

"Jon Eckman" <***@***.***> wrote:

This is how mine was attached at the factory. Glue is incredibly strong, so be careful if you try to knock it out or you'll split the back side of the dash. If you can slip a thin saw blade between the crack, that's the best way to remove it.

WIth all the things attached, I doubt you'll be able to pull it forward enough to gain access.

Good Luck!

--
Ken Claiborne
26/4396
50/0118N
So California

lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: