Trim Board Questions

PostPost by: saarhus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:27 pm

Hi All,

Am reconstructing my S3 Coupe's Boot Trim Board from the CAD drawing and the tracing. Two questions. First, what is the purpose of the two vertically oriented 1.25" holes at each end of the board? They don't seem to line up with anything on the tail lights and I don't remember having those on my original. Since my original trim board disapeared around 1975, my memory may not be accurate. The parts list drawing does show them, but smaller...

The other question is what kind of fastener is used to attach the trim board to the boot lock assembly. Since the holes are quite large at 5/16" and it would be very difficult to get a wrench behind the bracket with the panel in place, I'm wondering if some sort of push in fastener might have been used.

TIA!

Stan A
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:49 pm

Stan,

The S1-2/Coupe parts book doesn't show the holes because of the orientationof the panel. But under the panel in the listing, typical Lotus fashion, is the following:

Screw (boot wall mounting) No. 10 x 1/2" long and next line lists a
P/N SNU 0537 Spring Nut - No. 10.
Quantity for both is 4.
Interpretation to me would read #10 sheet metal screw x 1/2" long and #10 "U" shaped Tinnerman type sheet metal nut.

I can look at my original panel, er boot wall, to see if it has the large holes you've described, if you want me to.

Roger

Am reconstructing my S3 Coupe's Boot Trim Board from the CAD drawing and the tracing. Two questions. First, what is the purpose of the two vertically oriented 1.25" holes at each end of the board? They don't seem to line up with anything on the tail lights and I don't remember having those on my original. Since my original trim board disapeared around 1975, my memory may not be accurate. The parts list drawing does show them, but smaller...

The other question is what kind of fastener is used to attach the trim board to the boot lock assembly. Since the holes are quite large at 5/16" and it would be very difficult to get a wrench behind the bracket with the panel in place, I'm wondering if some sort of push in fastener might have been used.

TIA!

Stan A

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:24 pm

Roger,

Your description of the boot panel fasteners is exactly right.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:47 pm

Roger,
I have the S3-S4 parts book (07.70) and it doesn't show the S1-S2 version of these parts. My parts list shows the two mounting brackets and a total of 4 each "Tapp-it". No description of Tapp-it on the Hardware Part Coding page. I suspect that two of these are used for the mounting brackets and the other two are for the latch bracket. The list doesn't show any Tinnerman clips, but the two mounting brackets still have them. I suspect that the other two are used for mounting to the latch bracket. I'm going to use Tinnerman, sheet metal screws and flat washers in all four locations.
I am definately interested in knowing if anyone elses have the large holes.

Thanks again!

Stan

Stan,

The S1-2/Coupe parts book doesn't show the holes because of the orientation of the panel. But under the panel in the listing, typical Lotus fashion, is the following:

Quantity for both is 4.
Interpretation to me would read #10 sheet metal screw x 1/2" long and #10 "U" shaped Tinnerman type sheet metal nut.

I can look at my original panel, er boot wall, to see if it has the large holes you've described, if you want me to.

Roger

TIA!

Stan A
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:18 pm

Stan Aarhus wrote:

I just pulled out my original Boot Trim Board, also from a coupe. No
holes. My replacment, that I purchased from Mick Miller, has the holes
you describe. Pictures of the two at
http://www.unibrain.org/motorsports/elan/gallery/boot

--
Jim
www.unibrain.org
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:24 pm

Stan,
The 4 large holes allow you to change the lamps without removing the board (on an S4), I think that the S3 will either not have them, or have them elsewhere, in line with the lamps.

Cheers,

Pete
----- Original Message -----
To: Lotus-Cars ; LotusElan
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:23 PM
Subject: [LotusElan.net] Trim Board Questions

Hi All,

Am reconstructing my S3 Coupe's Boot Trim Board from the CAD drawing and the tracing. Two questions. First, what is the purpose of the two vertically oriented 1.25" holes at each end of the board? They don't seem to lineup with anything on the tail lights and I don't remember having those on my original. Since my original trim board disapeared around 1975, my memorymay not be accurate. The parts list drawing does show them, but smaller...

TIA!

Stan A

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***@***.***

elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:37 pm

Pete

How do the holes help when changing bulbs? I have always had to remove the lens as far as I knew/know the bulbholder is swaged into the Mazak backplate.

Ian Phillips

PS your shaft is safe and well

----- Original Message -----
To: ***@***.***
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [LotusElan.net] Trim Board Questions

Stan,
The 4 large holes allow you to change the lamps without removing the board (on an S4), I think that the S3 will either not have them, or have them elsewhere, in line with the lamps.

Cheers,

Pete
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: s2lola » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:32 pm

Stupid question. Did S2's have this trim board? I've neer seen one before.
My S2 only has these little sheetmetal box "guards" that bolt onto the back
of the lites.

Cheers,
Bill Tebbutt

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 2004/02/04 15:04
Cc: Lotus-Cars

Stan Aarhus wrote:

--
Jim
www.unibrain.org

***********************************************************************************
Financiere Banque Nationale et NBCN n'assument aucune responsabilite quant a la confidentialite et l'integrite du present courriel en raison des risques d'interception inherents a l'Internet. Pour cette raison, toute opinion exprimee au terme des presentes ne reflete pas necessairement celle de Financiere Banque Nationale et de NBCN.
***********************************************************************************
Due to the security risks involved in sending information over the Internet, National Bank Financial and NBCN can not be held
responsible for ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of the present e-mail. For this reason, the opinions expressed herein do not
necessarily reflect those of National Bank Financial and NBCN.
s2lola
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanse66 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:39 pm

My 1966 SE S2 has "C" shaped boxes also.

John
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:33 PM
To: '***@***.***'
Subject: RE: [LotusElan.net] Trim Board Questions

Stupid question. Did S2's have this trim board? I've neer seen one
before.
My S2 only has these little sheetmetal box "guards" that bolt onto the
back
of the lites.

Cheers,
Bill Tebbutt

Sent: 2004/02/04 15:04
Cc: Lotus-Cars

Stan Aarhus wrote:

--
Jim
www.unibrain.org

Financiere Banque Nationale et NBCN n'assument aucune responsabilite quant
a la confidentialite et l'integrite du present courriel en raison des
risques d'interception inherents a l'Internet. Pour cette raison, toute
opinion exprimee au terme des presentes ne reflete pas necessairement celle
de Financiere Banque Nationale et de NBCN.

Due to the security risks involved in sending information over the
Internet, National Bank Financial and NBCN can not be held
responsible for ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of the present
e-mail. For this reason, the opinions expressed herein do not
necessarily reflect those of National Bank Financial and NBCN.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

***@***.***

elanse66
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:22 pm

Hmm, and I was told those boxes were for 26R Elans. My S3 had the
cardboard panel. Now has a masonite panel covered with vinyl
fabric. And how do change the lites through those little holes? Are
the sockets and wires inside the boot as opposed to between the
panel and the rear of the boot.

Mike G.
66 S3 Coupe'

--- In ***@***.***, "John Krebs" <j.krebs@v...> wrote:

Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:58 am

On the U.S. models, S1's and early S2's with the 2 RER31 reflectors
and 4 L691 Lucas tail lamps had a wedge shaped "C" for gaurds. The
later S2's with L692 Lucas (vauxhaul) had the box shape gaurds that
you are speeking of Bill. S2 coupes S3's and S4's all had the heavy
black cardboard full width covering.

Gary
--- In ***@***.***, Bill Tebbutt <bill.tebbutt@n...>
wrote:

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:02 am

Same with both of my S2s, the 65 and the 66.

Jim

--- In ***@***.***, "John Krebs" <j.krebs@v...> wrote:
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:46 am

Stan,

I still have the original "boot wall" from my FHC 4 numbers later than yours. I offered to trace it for you but you got a better deal of a drawing so I did nothing. I still have the panel and I don't remember any such holes in it.

I will also be happy to fax you the 2 pages from the coupe parts book showing the panel, screws and tinnermans. I don't have my scanner set up yet, but when I do, I can scan a few pages for you or others. The whole book is about 150 pages, so unless my scanner is a lot faster than I'm used to, I won't have that much time until I retire.

We must remember that the "Coupe" was Lotus 1st attempt to take the Elan upscale. Jeez, it even had electric windows! So proper carpets and even carpeting and boot walls were necessary for that image.

The S1-2 didn't have a boot wall panel. My S2 parts car also had the channels to cover the rear lamps to keep from items hitting them inside the boot.Those channels also had one other use, necessary for those early models but not on the later FHC and even the DHC.

There were little straps fastened to them for lashing the 2 hood sticks (that fit between the side cant rails when the hood is erected) to the channels when the hood is stowed. These are little black or OD colored canvas, maybe 3/4" wide. Now you know how to make them quit rattling.

Roger

I have the S3-S4 parts book (07.70) and it doesn't show the S1-S2 versionof these parts. My parts list shows the two mounting brackets and a totalof 4 each "Tapp-it". No description of Tapp-it on the Hardware Part Codingpage. I suspect that two of these are used for the mounting brackets and the other two are for the latch bracket. The list doesn't show any Tinnerman clips, but the two mounting brackets still have them. I suspect that the other two are used for mounting to the latch bracket. I'm going to use Tinnerman, sheet metal screws and flat washers in all four locations.

Thanks again!

Stan

Stan,

The S1-2/Coupe parts book doesn't show the holes because of the orientation of the panel. But under the panel in the listing, typical Lotus fashion,is the following:

Quantity for both is 4.

I can look at my original panel, er boot wall, to see if it has the largeholes you've described, if you want me to.

Roger

Am reconstructing my S3 Coupe's Boot Trim Board from the CAD drawing and the tracing. Two questions. First, what is the purpose of the two vertically oriented 1.25" holes at each end of the board? They don't seem to lineup with anything on the tail lights and I don't remember having those on my original. Since my original trim board disapeared around 1975, my memorymay not be accurate. The parts list drawing does show them, but smaller...

TIA!

Stan A

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:28 am

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all the great responses. I now know more than I ever dared hope for about the trimbords. I'll summarize the key points gleaned from the various responses. Please add or correct, I think this is basically the chronology for the various configurations/models.

The S1 and S2 with the individual round lamps used the "C" shaped metal individual covers to protect the back of the lamps.

The S1 and S2 also had little loops attached to the covers for holding the top stays when stored.

The early S3 Coupe', with the horizontal Vauxhaul lamps used the trim board without the large holes.

The S4 Coupe' used the trim board with the vertical holes to provide bulb changing access to the Jaguar type lamps.

Other hardware bits and pieces depend on which parts manual you have. They seem to be divided between S1 and S2 in one and S3 and later for the other, pub. dated 07.70.

Thanks gain!

Stan
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:51 am

Roger,

Another member graciously sent along a tracing of what turns out to be an S4 version, but will work just fine. I thank you for your kind offer.

Yes I would be interested in your scans, whenever you're able to do it. I'm wondering why my parts book doesn't show the bits you describe. It shows both the early and the later Coupe's with both style later tail lamps. What is the part number and/or pub date of your manual?

Thanks again!

Stan

I still have the original "boot wall" from my FHC 4 numbers later than yours. I offered to trace it for you but you got a better deal of a drawing so I did nothing. I still have the panel and I don't remember any such holes in it.

I will also be happy to fax you the 2 pages from the coupe parts book showing the panel, screws and tinnermans. I don't have my scanner set up yet, but when I do, I can scan a few pages for you or others. The whole book is about 150 pages, so unless my scanner is a lot faster than I'm used to, I won't have that much time until I retire.

We must remember that the "Coupe" was Lotus 1st attempt to take the Elan upscale. Jeez, it even had electric windows! So proper carpets and even carpeting and boot walls were necessary for that image.

The S1-2 didn't have a boot wall panel. My S2 parts car also had the channels to cover the rear lamps to keep from items hitting them inside the boot. Those channels also had one other use, necessary for those early models but not on the later FHC and even the DHC.

There were little straps fastened to them for lashing the 2 hood sticks (that fit between the side cant rails when the hood is erected) to the channels when the hood is stowed. These are little black or OD colored canvas, maybe 3/4" wide. Now you know how to make them quit rattling.

Roger

I have the S3-S4 parts book (07.70) and it doesn't show the S1-S2 version of these parts. My parts list shows the two mounting brackets and a total of 4 each "Tapp-it". No description of Tapp-it on the Hardware Part Coding page. I suspect that two of these are used for the mounting brackets and the other two are for the latch bracket. The list doesn't show any Tinnerman clips, but the two mounting brackets still have them. I suspect that the other two are used for mounting to the latch bracket. I'm going to use Tinnerman, sheet metal screws and flat washers in all four locations.

Thanks again!

Stan

Stan,

The S1-2/Coupe parts book doesn't show the holes because of the orientation of the panel. But under the panel in the listing, typical Lotus fashion, is the following:

Quantity for both is 4.

Roger

TIA!

Stan A
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: