Cam Cover Red Paint

PostPost by: kenny » Wed May 09, 2007 2:04 pm

I may leave the head then, seems a shame painting a nice clean casting but still undecided.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed May 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Try VHT Wrinkle Plus Coating made for PJH Brands, Scottsdale, AZ 85258. The paint code for red is SP-204. Check it out at:

http://72.10.43.141/wrinklefinish.htm

I picked mine up at a local auto parts store for around $6. Was very pleased with the results.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: timliggins » Wed May 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Hegg, I've owned my 1970 S.4 for 27 years. I replaced the oil pump many years ago but still have the original filter housing and it is black. And I still maintain that the red cam cover wasn't wrinkle finish!

Regards

Tim
timliggins
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 pm

timliggins wrote:...... And I still maintain that the red cam cover wasn't wrinkle finish!

Regards

Tim

I also have a 1970 Elan, SE variety and, whilst I have only owned it 23 years, the cam cover is wrinkle or crackle red. I have no reason to suspect it has been resprayed before my ownership.

Other than looking worn, the cover looks identical to that on the front cover of Miles Wilkins Twin-Cam book (2nd edition).
Attachments
Engine Cam Cover.jpg and
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hegg » Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm

That is what mine looks like as well. I have only had my car a short time in comparison, but I bought it from the original owner who had not restored it.
1970 Lotus Elan +2, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2006 Lotus Elise, all for sale.
Hegg
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed May 09, 2007 9:37 pm

I'm confused.

My 1968 Plus 2 has the original engine and head (webers) and was covered in enough grime to suggest it had never been rebuilt (been laid up for the last 12 years)

The cam cover on mine is wrinkle finish Black and has no other colour underneath, so unless someone swapped it in the past (why would you bother) then I'd say its original. It is the same type as pictured above with the Lotus letters across the front.

Is the consensus that it should be red or did Lotus just stick on whatever cover came of the shelf next?
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hegg » Wed May 09, 2007 9:52 pm

From what I gather, US covers were different colored than the European ones. Red for US, Black for Euro is what I understand.
1970 Lotus Elan +2, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2006 Lotus Elise, all for sale.
Hegg
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Thu May 10, 2007 7:58 am

Hegg wrote:From what I gather, US covers were different colored than the European ones. Red for US, Black for Euro is what I understand.

I do not have my books with me at the moment to check but red is for the SE version of the Twin-Cam engine, black for the normal ie 105 BHP. SE engines were normally fitted to +2 as standard. This applies to later engines but pre Big Valve.

A red Big Valve cam cover I believe denotes a Federal engine (ie emission control).
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu May 10, 2007 9:27 am

Here's what he-who-must-be-believed has to say (Brian Buckland, by the way):
Crackle Black
1969 Standard Stromberg Carburettor S4

Crackle Red
1968 Super SE with Weber Carbs and D Type cams
1969 Federal Elan with Stromberg Carburretors and C Type cams
1970 Federal Big Valve Elan, Stromberg Carburretors and C Type cams

So it is Crackle Red (and Black). I think that Brian moves most debates from the if, but and maybe to the 'probably', but as we all know, nothing is definative with Lotii. My S4 SE with Webers (1970) has a black crackle finish..it looks very original, but there has been plenty of time for it to have been re-done.

Weber carbs appeared on S4s occasionally after the introduction of the Strombergs, apparently to order from some customers, and my guess is that were fitted with whatever cam cover came to hand.

If you haven't got Brian's book, do get it. And most of it is just as applicable to the Plus 2.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:09 pm

Further to the reply above, Brian book omits to mention the SE Stromberg engine which had the Poppy Red cam cover. Incidentally, the heads for these engines were high compression with the D type cam (stamped 'H') hence the slightly higher BHP when compared with the SE Weber version. Also, the Federal Big Valve cam colour differs from the earlier SE one and is Signal Red.

The best source of info for the engine I have found to be Miles Wilkin's Twin-Cam book, he lists 24 differing engine configuration! This coupled with the 'Lotus effect' and we have a veritable minefield :!:
Last edited by fasterbyelan on Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Sat May 12, 2007 9:19 pm

fasterbyelan wrote:red is for the SE version of the Twin-Cam engine, black for the normal ie 105 BHP. SE engines were normally fitted to +2 as standard. This applies to later engines but pre Big Valve.

A red Big Valve cam cover I believe denotes a Federal engine (ie emission control).

Can you tell whether an engine is an SE or not by the engine number prefix?
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Tue May 15, 2007 9:49 am

dusty wrote:
Can you tell whether an engine is an SE or not by the engine number prefix?

Yes, the letter on the block denotes the engine type as it left the factory (hopefully :!: ). Later engines also had the letter stamped on the head in the spark plug area. The aforementioned Twin-cam book lists all the versions and the letter used to denote such.

If you have not got the book let me know the letter on your engine and I will look it up. I would recommend you get the book at some time, it is available in paperback at http://www.chaters.co.uk/book_details.cfm/bks_id/2206.
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 am

Karl,

Thank's for the tip. Just ordered one on your advice - ?21 inc P&P.

I checked with Amazon, but they only had the hard cover version available at over ?500. Just think what goodies you can buy for the Lottie with that sort of money!!!!!

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 am

bcmc33 wrote:Karl,

Thank's for the tip. Just ordered one on your advice - ?21 inc P&P.

I checked with Amazon, but they only had the hard cover version available at over ?500. Just think what goodies you can buy for the Lottie with that sort of money!!!!!

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)

Yes I know, thats why I checked with Chaters :!:
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Tue May 15, 2007 12:37 pm

I ordered the paperback issue from Amazon.com but it will take a few weeks.

My engine number is LP10983LBA

If you could tell me the type that would be great.

Thanks
Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: