Wheel size versus performance

PostPost by: grand_manitou » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:22 pm

Greetings,
I'm curious to know the opinion of those who use the lotus on the track about the dimensions of the tires and wheels. I don't think it is really possible to fully assert the handling difference without actually testing the limits on the track. I, for now, have very wide tires, but I bought the car with them. I will use the car on the track (for fun, I don't foresee any racing) , but I am wondering if they are not too wide. I have 185/60 R13, 7 inches wide.
thanks!
grand_manitou
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Great question.

Answer: It depends....
If your suspension is stock springs and swaybar, the benefit of the wider tire is limited. That's because as the chassis rolls over in a corner, significant camber gain changes (change in the angle of the wheel/tire to the road), the inner and outer edges of the tire have most of the useful contact instead of the middle of the tread.

The Elan's suspension geometry is similar to the Lotus Formula Juniors of the period (Lotus 18 to 21)
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grand_manitou » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Hi,
My suspension was modified, it is really stiff, and I guess it was also changed to fit those extra large tires.
grand_manitou
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RobertMaulden » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:22 pm

As has been posted, if the suspension is suitably modified & set up, tyres of that size will work just fine

I currently have Nankang road legal semi slicks of that size fitted to my standard bodied S2 Elan, & previously used another make in the same size (that is no longer available) Run the car on the road & in speed events + some track days

Parking is hard work though!!

EDIT- to add that these tyres are on 5J Minilite wheels
RobertMaulden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: grand_manitou » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:34 pm

Now, I found the tires a tiny bit tick, like 7 inches on such a small car? I really wonder if they do anything other than rolling resistance. The front are just at the edge of the wheel arches. I'm asking since i was thinking i could go for say, 5.5. Anybody knows what is usually installed on a elan race car?
grand_manitou
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elan 1600 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:42 pm

Most FIA Elans will run on a 6x13 rim.
Elan 1600
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: