TTR exhaust decibels

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Anyone had problems with TTR big bore manifold and stainless exhaust on track? Just wondering if it will be above 102dB static and 92dB drive by on a Snetterton Trackday.
Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Ben,

My 1700cc twin cam (165bhp) + TTR big bore manifold and stainless exhaust system has regularly passed the static noise test at Snetterton, and no complaints trackside either.

If you should be unlucky and there is an issue, then you will find them very helpful in suggesting short-term remedies to solve it for you.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 am

the vees had the problem of being on the limit for db s ----we found pointing the exhaust tip towards the race surface got us a lower reading --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 am

Ben,

I have a TTR big bore on an S3 with an engine tuned to HSCC 'roadsports' spec.

It fails 98dB static at Goodwood, but passes 105dB static.

Don't know the drive by numbers.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 am

Andy8421 wrote:Ben,

I have a TTR big bore on an S3 with an engine tuned to HSCC 'roadsports' spec.

It fails 98dB static at Goodwood, but passes 105dB static.

Don't know the drive by numbers.

Andy.

Same as Andy,
With a big bore TTR manifold, Q420cams, TTR SS silencer , "OEW" reach 101dB@4200tr/mn static and is mesured Ok with 96dB driveby...
During the static mesurement, seems that the conterpressions are the main problem, as the highest level is reach at the moment you stop accelerating... wathever how smart you are on the pedal...
That is now becoming a real problem on a growing number of tracks, asking 95/96dB static ...
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 am

I need to lose 2 decibels. Tested yesterday at 104 which was under the 105 limit at Woodbridge sprint but still would not get me on at some Snetterton events. Running open induction i.e. No filters except for pair of tights, (the wife's, not mine - actually could be stockings :D ) over an open induction pipe from the front grill to large TTR airbox. Would adding K&N cone filter lower decibels ? I Replaced the standard airbox with a K & N on my Elise and it increased decibels.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: