Jeep vs Lotus?

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 am

I look in on the SCCA D/E Mod yahoo groups occasionally for fun, well its raining and 54 degrees F (12 C) and well I had nothing to do.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCCA-DMOD-EMOD
So this picture pops up on the screen
Del Long Jeep.jpg and

Del has been building and autocrossing D mod for a long time, I think he was there from the inception. Anyway he's quite capable of building a very good car that wins. That got me thinking about Mark Huffman's Dmod Elan

elan-racing-f12/mark-huffman-mod-elan-not-for-the-purists-t20028.html

and who is going to come out quickest around the parking lot. Come September we ought to know more.

can you imagine? "Lotus, beat by a Jeep" T shirts?
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 pm

G,

Nice! looks like a CJ2 or an old mail truck with the switch from RHD to LHD . if its running the Jeep/CRD diesel my bets on Jeep, nothing like 300 plus Ftlbs of torque off idle to get you to the next cone -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

You might have to wait for to see the two run as one is DM and the Jeep is EM. Del is in our local chapter so been watching him shake the new project down, man is it fast! 80" wheel base with a very nice motor with about 400hp, the same torque. He had to add about 150 lbs to meet the weight for class. At the Lincoln spring nationals he was still hard at work with sorting out the bugs, but they did very well. His goal is to get up with the dual turbo rotary bugeye.
He went thru a clutch already and is having a new custom high torque built, new pop-off and solving some cooling issues.

George he is running the etech from a cobalt.

Should be a really fun run at nationals!

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: florawills » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 am

Amazing!!! Nice pics..piss-ant and I really like that Jeep...Nice pics :)
florawills
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:17 pm

I got some of them from a friend who got them from somewhere, Mark Hoffman sent the others to Alan and myself when Alan was starting to think about the Duratec DHC that is nearly finished. None of the photos are mine in other words, but I think its good to see what others do with their Elan's.

And Jeeps too

p-a
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:49 pm

As an update for anyone that might wish to follow the progress of the "Jeep" I get to watch the master at work each time we run autox and I must say this one is worth seeing in person.
Last event, Sunday we ran on a local 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile circle track. Yes I know it does not sound like autox but it was! Short sprint on the 1/2 mile then hard 90 to the 1/4 mile with several gates and shifts then a 180 on to the 1/2 mile with the banked turn which had three shacains(sp not my best feature) then a long back straight which had a five gate salom with a final shacain and finish gate.

So now to the jeep. It has been changed over to our local corn product for fuel, E85 and was told it now has about another 35hp. I was very much shown on the course, as it went out on the 1/4 mile and did an upshift the whole jeep would shift sideways from the power! The jeep runs in E mod and we have another top national finishers in the group with a Westfield 7 running and LS1. The jeep and the 7 have been about neck and neck for most of the season. Well that is now history as the jeep was fast time of day and top pax. A full second faster than the 7. To give a reference to a second quicker on this course that is just under 100 feet in distance.

The master thinks he can still get it faster as most of the tuning is done by trial and error.
Now that it seems to be happy with the E85 and running well the next stop is a chasis dyno and tuner.

It is hard to discribe this thing when it runs but it is simply amazing and I would encourage anyone of interest keep an eye on nationals in about a month. Should be interesting.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: