Bigger diameter headlights (26R style)

PostPost by: ripley » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello folks, while rebuilding my Elan S2 + upgrading to 26R spec (no pop-up), I want to use bigger diameter headlights (180 mm) than the ordinary ones used by TT etc. Problem is that I don't just need the lights themselves but also proper "basements" which fit behind (in front of the inner wing). Are there someone who already tried to fit those? Best to you, Fred
Attachments
GetAttachment.jpg and
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Fred,
Bigger diam lights than recommanded on 26R just don't fit . They don't look good too.
You will have difficulties to set them , or worst , you will light your inner front end first and create a black aera .
If you want more than correct light , try some xenon bulbs & ballast kit , some are direct replacement to H4 . But don't expect use them on FIA events .
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Christian,
you are exactly the man to talk to because the car of your friend Lajournade seems to have bigger lights than most of the other 26R's, no? Having looked at many photos of his car, it seems to me that they are not the TTR ones. In fact, primarily I'm less interested in more efficient lights but in a more "esthetic" look - in my opinion most 26R lights are too "shiny". I don't care FIA rules, it will be a fast road car.
Fred
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey hey , Fred ,
I don't think that Jean-Pierre use different diam of lights .
Here is a picture of its car few weeks before LMC 2008 :
Maybe the chrome rim of the adjust part make them look bigger , but later , a black tape on top of the plexi covers hide them . These are 5"3/4 in quad light unit .
You can order these here :
http://www.wipac.com/index.html
I know that we try xenon & ballast bulbs on these and we were very happy with , but FIA rules ...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Christian,
thank you very much for these infos. But if you look at this pic made in 2007 it seems that Lajournade had fitted other headlights than actually. And those are bigger, aren't they?!? BTW: The silver 26R (I think it's the Hugenholtz car) taken at the same time definitely has big lights. Would like to know which model it is... Can somebody help?
Attachments
dsc04338ulev6.jpg
dsc04338ulev6.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
05uliv3.jpg and
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 am

Fred ,
It's up to you , but if I spend time posting pictures and writing about , I all so ask you to believe me .
Yes , Jean-Pierre had bigger head lights on its car as H. Hugenholtz had . With their bad sides . The pictures on your last post are from the 2007' Tour Auto , and those were on the car since buy.
When entering the LMC competition in 2008 , having to race for the first time at night on the big Le Mans track , with GT40's arround , we start to think about seriously ... If the smaller weren't that good , they never stay more than a minute after testing ...
Bigger diam never said better light . On a 26R light arrangment , I mean .
Hope you understand if you care about efficiency.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Christian, know what you mean, many thanks. Never mind efficiency (Don't envisage to run at LM this year...), how can I find out marque/model of these bigger lights??? Fred
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:26 am

ripley wrote:Christian, know what you mean, many thanks. Never mind efficiency (Don't envisage to run at LM this year...), how can I find out marque/model of these bigger lights??? Fred

In that case ...
These should be the ones of the street version , nothing more.
Be ready to have some problems if you have to Mot your car ...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ripley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Don't think so, the original ones look different. MoT?! Will run on special plates; an ordinary registration with a car like this will be impossible here in Germany...
ripley
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: