Weber 45 set up

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Due to concerns about the new Spanish manufactured Weber carbs I have purchased a pair of rebuilt Italian carbs. They look very good but on close inspection I notice that one of the carbs has 2 transition holes in each throat and the other has 3. I would like to know if this will have any effect on the running of the carbs before I install them on the engine.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:25 am

Hi Andy --do you mean the holes in the butterfly s ??? I have only ever seen 2 --but 3 may remove the ;flat spot' on acceleration ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 am

The progression mixture as you come off idle to when the main jet comes in and is dominant will vary between the 2 carbs if one has 2 progression holes and the other has three if all the other settings are the same. It may not however be noticeable and in a compettion car you rarely if ever run in this region anyhow.

I would give it a go and if any problems then you can always drill a matching third hole in the carb that has just 2.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, Webcon has told my engine builder the 3 holes were used on Alfa engines but it should not be a problem with a race car so we will see how it performs on the dyno and if required drill the extra hole to match the other carb just to balance them up.

regards

andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Andy, your concerns about the Spanish built webers are valid. I have a set of 151 (Spanish built) 40s and they came with three progression holes. It took a long time to get them to work properly but I like them better now than the 18s I had on the car previously.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Greg

My biggest concern was the number of people who have told me they have had underbonnet fires when using the new spanish manufactured 45s
regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: