Racing Cylinder head casting.

PostPost by: Formula B » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm going Formula B racing in Ameriaca. The suppliers here have promised a new cylinder head for a long time. The season is starting and there are no parts. I know about QED and I think they have good parts. What I'm looking for is a head casting that is for racing. I'm at 12.5 mm lift now and would like to go more for more HP. I'm looking for a company that casts these heads. Does anyone know of a company, and one that would sell to America.
Thanks
Eric Stange
Formula B
New-tral

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Eric,
Have your been speaking to Marcovicci-Wenz (http://www.race-cars.com/mwe.htm) in New York? They are reported to have something going with a company in Connecticut to cast new Twin Cam heads. There are very well substantiated stories that heads are being cast now.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Eric,

I talked to a chap at the Retroshow in the UK and he manufactures race cylinder heads and blocks in America and they look very good if not better than QED.

www.yarwoodeng.co.uk
email: [email protected]
+44 (0) 1270 812083

No connection but an interesting chap to talk to

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Formula B wrote:I'm going Formula B racing in America. The suppliers here have promised a new cylinder head for a long time. The season is starting and there are no parts. I know about QED and I think they have good parts. What I'm looking for is a head casting that is for racing. I'm at 12.5 mm lift now and would like to go more for more HP. I'm looking for a company that casts these heads. Does anyone know of a company, and one that would sell to America.
Thanks
Eric Stange

Eric ,
The answer is in your question ...
I personnaly made these pictures :

They show the capacity for QED heads to be be machined to race spec...
Btw , these are cast under the Lotus Work accord and have the correct cast numbers...
Hope that'll help,
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Wow Christian, they look nice! I presume the head on the right is 'as cast' and not ported. Is is ready for street use or do the ports need cleaning up regardless?

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:06 pm

I think you an option on port size from QED.

The MWE/dave bean head project has been rumored for some time, The guy in CT that is the likely suspect for the drawings is top notch , the castings if I were to guess will be done by M&A. Availability is anyone's guess and you will behind a long list of people who are existing MWE,DBE,LCR customers. same group minus MWE was in league on the 26R wheels last year.... don't know if those made it out of the caster yet either.

Maybe somebody on this list can talk QED into selling a bare head, or if you are in a hurry, maybe buy one built up with cams etc, sometimes that is a more convincing prop. also you have Wilcox and Racing Fab ( Sp)

John McCoy is setting up the CNC for a run of weber heads so this is also and option w/ the old castings and will be far and away the most cost effective route.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:10 pm

... At QED , you have the choice of 2 sizes based on the same casting model.
For 40DCOE or 45DCOE carbs. That's show on the pictures .
When porting , do not polish to much the inlet , you ll re-liquid the mix.
Some of you maybe know more on that subject !?!
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: