26r identities and other info

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:13 am

OK ----This thread was started to find concrete hard print evidence for the 26R , now aside from Garys list and my letter and Garys friends efforts all we have had for the remaining 30 pages is ruhmy eyed recollections and ' the one I saw 40 years ago was red' type of comments ---so lets get some hard copy here AND PROCEED ONWARDS AND UPWARDS -- :roll: --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 am

I am sorry I mentioned the word
If anyone is out there - here is a bit more Shapecraft info with a mention in the text of the racing stuff

Michael
Attachments
img867.jpg and
img866.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 am

Re: The very first post on page 1 with 'chassis' number list
GO BACK FURTHER
Begin with a 2 and three numbers
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Ed
You have been back on the forum for a short while and have pissed people off (bonsaichris) who had experience with these cars in period and are (were) happy to share the knowledge they have. Your obbsession with hard evidence , which you do not have re your car, and your letter which tells us nothing other than your car is not a 26R or a Shapecraft is pathetic.

As I have said before I and others have a list which shows all the details of the 26r's built by the factory (Lotus Components) but I am not about to publish it on this site.

The contributions of 1ELA and Bonsaichris over the past few weeks have given us a better insight into the Shapecraft connection with the 26R than all your comments have over the past few years as they actually KNOW what they are talking about because they WERE there.

Have a nice day (currently in the USA !!)
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm

1ela wrote:Re: The very first post on page 1 with 'chassis' number list
GO BACK FURTHER
Begin with a 2 and three numbers

Hi 1ela

This is round two, Ed and I started this several days before in an insult contest in the for sale section. not much of it left now. Yes you can delete the posts and change the name of the topics IF you are the originator of the topic, and that person is I.

elan-for-sale-f2/what-this-bargain-26r-t17748.html

Folks there tried to derail that topic and at that time the stuff in the for sale section was purged after 90 days. Rather than continue with it there and loose it I started this as a "proper" topic. There has been other "trash moments" within this continuing thread too, so please don't take what I say with any malice. I met Ian at TT shop back in 2004 and he told my friend Bill and I about his "2 and three numbers". I don't own a 26r and never will, I am through wanting one, I lust after other vehicles but I do have a soft spot for them still. We are all moving on and it won't be long that all that is left of us is a possible memory, if you think its better to keep the memories and info locked away in your head or attic, that is up to you. I want to see these cars live on, You can't build anything like them today or ever again, they are the most special I have (type 26 Elans) and as such feel that others should know about them. I come here to have fun and offer what I can. Chris Again I apologize if you feel that I have insulted you, that is not what I am about.

Gary E. Anderson - aka piss-ant

Now lets get over it and on to the topic of 26r :D
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Hopefully this little ship is back on an even keel and will not be going over Niagara falls again!

In the words of Stevie Wonder we can work it out, if not heaven help us all.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

this thread was to find hard copy about factory informatioin on 26 R anything else is OFF TOPIC --if that annoys folks then thats tough --start your own thread -- dont play blame the game here ===== ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:40 am

twincamman wrote:OK ----This thread was started to find concrete hard print evidence for the 26R , now aside from Garys list and my letter and Garys friends efforts all we have had for the remaining 30 pages is ruhmy eyed recollections and ' the one I saw 40 years ago was red' type of comments ---so lets get some hard copy here AND PROCEED ONWARDS AND UPWARDS -- :roll: --ed

I respect the desision of the people who do have the appropriate information to protect it. I still find it hard to believe that people think that a 'genuine' 26R (or even a 'GTS' car) is worth a 100ks or so but these inflated prices are what has lead to clones.

You have to remember that after their first era, these cars were nothing more than an out of date waste of space in garages. Some were converted to Modsports spec just to get more use out of them. Others were used as road cars. Consequently things like chasis plates, paper work and continuous racing history were lost, destroyed or forgotten.

It's a pity that you don't like recollections. It makes up a lot of our history. It also ads colour to what little information we do have. I have realy enjoyed reading the recent contributions. They are much more interesting than the odd lone rant........ :cry:

However, just to prove my rhumy eyed ones, hear's some hard copy .....
Attachments
Len Bridge White.jpg and
Len Bridge White 1.jpg and
Len Bridge Red.jpg and
Len Bridge Red 1.jpg and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I agree ; but the thread has become a soap box for some who wish to establish them selves as 'experts' to further their cash ventures ------we enjoyed the subject immensely but the time comes to protect ones self from constant attacks both car wise and personally.....we are not in a shooting gallery here constantly ducking and weaving . I think a trip back to earlier postings and other related threads will prove my point --The time comes when one must defend himself . Since my naive entry into this site there have been a few who constantly attacked my car and my character ---most are great people but some ----well lets let it go ' Like a school yard bully you must beat them or live in the shadows --However "in my ryhum eyed recolections ' 0f the 60s and early 70s before I got my race licence there were 3 cars of this type 26R racing at Mosport one from Burlington Mr Neilviellerre number 42 [sp] one Willy Gobles from Torontol [number issued at event] number 84 at the Canadian gp support race a so he didnt have a reserved number and one Pete Taylor from Montreal 445 . Pete was the dealer owner of Cambridge Autos the importer for Lotus and BMC who informs me there was one built for the street ] Pete Taylors car is in the Charlott Speedway museum and there may be one or two from the west . so 3 for sure 4th race car maybe in the east One in Charlotte possibly some shipped out West As I was involved with Fiat and Alphas from Dinos Garage and Lennys Garage I didnt pay much attention to the other cars in the class . I found Willys car and reassembled it and have had nothing but flack from some who see each resurfaced number as a loss of income . No one has ever been to see the car but some deny it s very existance -I do have the CASAC results from the races Willy drove the car in but as everyone did here the car is listed as simply ' Elan' oh By the way -welcome aboard --ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Gary,

I was good to meet you and Bill at Tony Thompson's place in 2004, but I am not sure about "2 and three numbers". My Shapecraft Elan is chassis 260033, too early to be a 26R, but one of the first Elans to race and therefore an interesting bit of Elan history.

Ian
Attachments
Chassis no..pdf
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Evening all
I first met TonyT about 30 or so years ago.
I am sorry if this was before most friends out there were thought of but thats life.

IF you can link you 'chassis numbers' on p.1 with 26R numbers (their lies the rub) I am sure most people on this forum would be interested. It does not interest me in the slightest.
bonsaichris has unfortunately left the building due to silly stuff. WE ARE ALL THE LOSERS, because what that chap knows should have been recorded !!

By the way, the road/26r chassis nr. link begins in the 2*** numbers - Sorry

Funnily enough, I AM interested in this corelation with numbers with regard to certain pre-war RILEY's.
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm

You have to remember that after their first era, these cars were nothing more than an out of date waste of space in garages. Some were converted to Modsports spec just to get more use out of them. Others were used as road cars. Consequently things like chasis plates, paper work and continuous racing history were lost, destroyed or forgotten.

It's a pity that you don't like recollections. It makes up a lot of our history. It also ads colour to what little information we do have. I have realy enjoyed reading the recent contributions. They are much more interesting than the odd lone rant........ :cry:

Hi Roy
I agree entirely. Without the recollections of people who raced and worked on these cars our knowledge would be sadly lacking.

Jon Fletcher raced his 26R , the Ex Jackie Stewart car in modsports and has now rebuilt it back to original spec. Several 26R's raced in modsports when I raced in the early 70's most of them being converted to later spec (shape) lightweight shells with huge front and rear wheelarches. My car actually had the rear of a plus 2 chassis welded to the front of a 2 seater chassis to get a wider track at the rear end, it also ran 10 inch wide rear wheels.

I have had several long chats with Peter Pulver who ran Dutchess Autos the Lotus importer in Millerton New York and was the importer of several 26R's into the USA. Unfotunately he has no records of the cars that went through his hands but having seen the list I have agreed that the figures attributed to him appear reasonable.

The info posted by the recent contibutors has given me a far better insight into the Shapecraft connection than I had before , so thanks for that all concerned.

cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Have a look at Piper Cars www.
I first met Tony Claydon in about 1974/75
His 26R (33 ?) was a bit of a mons originality wise due to modsport considerations, but he had a letter from Lotus saying it was ex-Clark, so I think it went to Japan
I actually went over to Maldon,Essex at least twice in R4 to see him - theirs brave 4u.

He produced quite a good looking one-off vehicle TARA 2, a bit Porsche 924 before it happened - obviously I have pics of it at Brands !!!
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 pm

R4 had to be up in the air, looking up,scrapping the surface, to see the chassis number.

Not on the ground looking down.
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:06 am

More ancient history that ties in with previous post - BIG YAWN (no smilie yet)
Attachments
Brochure car.jpg and
26r iwr.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: