26r identities and other info

PostPost by: 1ela » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 am

And Team Surbiton Motors cars together again after more than 30 years.

I found TonyT to be completely straight and honest in all my dealings with him.
He did EXACTLY what he said he would, and you can't get much better than that.
NO - I am not a stake-holder in TTR.

As can be seen from these pics, and as I said in my first post, R4 was the only side-window Shapecraft 26R to survive with its original bodywork.

Michael Clarke
Attachments
Team Surbiton Motors reunited.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 am

Further 26R thoughts.
I went onto the LOTUS stand one evening at the 1973 Motor Show with my fiancee of the time - earlier that year we had been in Switzerland/Italy (Campione) when Ronnie won the Italian GP.
I remember they had a Type 72 (Ronnie's car?) on show. and maybe the last of the Elan Sprints, etc.
Got talking to a very well informed bloke and he gave me his card. I remember the name was McLaughlin or something similar. He knew a lot about Type 26R.

Michael
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 am

trw99 wrote:Hello and welcome.

Thanks for posting and your interesting story. BPE 230B is still active according to the DVLA and was first registered on 18 Mar 64.

Tim

A photo of "BPE 230B" is at the bottom of this web page:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152/ug ... dex19.html

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 am

1ela wrote:Further 26R thoughts.
I went onto the LOTUS stand one evening at the 1973 Motor Show with my fiancee of the time - earlier that year we had been in Switzerland/Italy (Campione) when Ronnie won the Italian GP.
I remember they had a Type 72 (Ronnie's car?) on show. and maybe the last of the Elan Sprints, etc.
Got talking to a very well informed bloke and he gave me his card. I remember the name was McLaughlin or something similar. He knew a lot about Type 26R.

Michael

Could it have been the late Don McLaughlin who headed Lotus PR at the time?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:17 pm

The Elan kit cars were very easy and quick to build, they came fully trimmed and all the electrics installed. The steering rack and diff were also fitted. So it only required the engine and gearbox bolting in and connecting up, exhaust to fit. Front suspension to build up and fit. Rear suspension and drive shafts to fit. Little else was required apart from set up time, I dont know that it was done but you possibly could be in the pub at lunchtime.
I think most of the units sold by Surbiton Motors either shapecraft or standard were in fact assembled by us.
I am not sure about the 26R cars, I know we got the spec sheet from Cosworth to confirm 150bhp + and that Barries had to go back because of sand in the head casting, made me wonder at the time where they were built. Whether they were built from kits or not I honestly cannot remember.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:07 am

Further to bonsaichris last
I bought R4 from Bob Weal who bought the car from Richardson, who I think was a salesman at Gold Seal Sportscars at New Cross, London, SE14. Their premises were close to the site of the devastating V2 attack that happened one Saturday morning late on in the war.
Back to 1973 - Bob Weal was driving along the M4 when the a conrod bigend bolts broke, the endcap came off and the crank pushed the rod through the block - end of story ! I bought the car from Bob who had abandoned R4 at a Morgan agents premises nearby, and my late father TOWED me home behind my Lancia Flaminia Touring WVU1 ( a good quick tow with a short rope used to be most enjoyable, the tow car does most of the braking if you are any good) I remember I had to buy a new tow-rope from a garage near Kennington Hornes (just past The Oval cricket ground) due to breakage and the rope becoming too short. Fortunately we had a NEW block in stock which somehow came from Boon & Porters at Castlenau. A trip up to Cosworth in Northampton produced other neccesary parts, The cylinder-head had been reworked, L1 cams and those top-hat shims. The original cam in the block had been cut in half to provide oil-pump drive. I don't know what is done these days but I am sure its all moved on. I also remember tickover was at 2000rpm. A new 4-branch was supplied by Jeff Howe near Brands.
Great days, Michael
Attachments
img104.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:37 am

and again
Attachments
img589.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:06 am

:oops:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:03 am

delete --
Last edited by twincamman on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Delete off topic stuff.
Last edited by msd1107 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:37 pm

I think that the re-naming of this thread to include a completely different (and irrelevant) subject is a mistake.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:27 pm

AS a newbie to this forum but someone who administrates another one I am surprised. I cant see how the topic title can suddenly change to include something totally irrelevant after 33 pages of still live and relevant conversation.
Hoewever as a newbie I have not come hear to teach you how to do things. So, sorry, but you can count me out for the future.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I apologize, it wont happen again.

Gary E. Anderson
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 pm

bonsaichris wrote:AS a newbie to this forum but someone who administrates another one I am surprised. I cant see how the topic title can suddenly change to include something totally irrelevant after 33 pages of still live and relevant conversation.
Hoewever as a newbie I have not come hear to teach you how to do things. So, sorry, but you can count me out for the future.

I sincerely hope that you reconsider this matter; yourself and Michael have brought so much of importance to this subject in the last couple of days.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: