26r identities and other info

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:44 pm

twincamman wrote:ok not to put too fine a point on it but the original argument was --- 1 there is a special aluminum rad that if you must have to be a 26r and 2 the cars were entered in events as as 26r ------ A -- the rules state the cars can be up graded or back dated ---- and no where can I find a stipulation for rad material or size ---and B no year book I have access to lists 26r in any class --only elan elan drop head and elan gt - now Charlie may be a qualified resource BUT its still hear say to me -----thanks --ed

Ed,
Judging by your recent posts it is clear that English is not your first language. I have no idea what you mean by "the rules" but, as far as the rest of the known universe is concerned, we choose to go by what the FIA homologation papers say.
If you can not find any reference to 26r (sic), why have you been telling us for the last couple of years that you have got one; not only that, it is, apparently, the world's only DHC Shapecraft.
You have managed to discount and disrespect just about all of the world's authorities on the Elan, not to mention the many members of this forum who have queried any of your "factual statements".
Please don't give up; you are really good entertainment value, every forum needs it's clown.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:34 am

aha ---a personal attack ---Ive won :lol: ed---ok this web was started to document these cars ----with hard printed and documented facts ---not to hear some babble about a new aluminium radiator you purchased --or that some one else's part had an extra row ----please --- back up your statements with hard facts not your personal 'expert' observations - :roll: -----thanks --ed -
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:32 am

Do you know , folks , if in Italy or somewhere else , there is the same kindly discussion arround GTAM's , TZ's , Carrera's , etc ... !?!
Or did you found another way to keep your eyes open , late at night !?!
That will make my day , is to have some new pictures to have a look at , new good stories to read .
Stay cool , keep digging , whatever the distance , you ll finish to meet eachover.
Christian.36R
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi guys

Do you know, with all this turmoil in the world at the moment, this subject keeps me in fits of laughter.
Just when you think it's all died down - up it flares again! Fantastic, please keep it going :D at all cost.
Sometimes on this great forum it can be a little bit too quiet with members discussing rubber extrusion & wiring diagrams (no offence meant - I've done it myself) but the old 26R subject is just about the best in ages.
By the way, Gary - where are you? or have you taken a back seat for a while in this discussion? I really miss your input.

For many of us, we will never own a 26R or even want one but it is a fascinating subject all the same.
I get the feeling that the REAL people that know the ACTUAL FACTS, are either long gone or are going to keep it to themselves. If you look at some of the old books, you will find most of the information you need.

By the way, just to stir it up a little bit more..... I was having a look at an old Club Lotus News magazine last night and it was a 25 years celebration edition on the Elan from 1987 (I think) It had a page on the 26R which I will just list a couple of the main points to do with this subject (these being written by the late Graham Arnold). It said that the 26R had a lightweight aluminium radiator but that some prefered to use the large eary s1/2 header (I assume that means the old Marston one) & the other bit that Arnold said at that time was that the expert who probably knew the most about them was Mike Loughlin (of Ricketts Racing fame) - there was no mention of Tony Thompson at all. Read into that what you want - but at that time in '87, in Graham Arnold's eyes, Mike was your man. There was also mention of the diff cooler & electric pump to work it, which went in the 26R/2. All interesting stuff....

I hope that everybody does not take this discussion too seriously though, hopefully we are all just having fun & learning at the same time.... be a real shame if we lost someone like Kieth -type26owner, whose knowledge & opinions I for one still miss.
Sometime it is a little hard to tell if someone is have a joke or having a go, if you know what I mean.

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Pastapesto wrote:.....Sometime it is a little hard to tell if someone is have a joke or having a go, if you know what I mean.

Adam

I sincerely hope that Ed does not think I'm having a go; I think this is great fun and normal engineer's banter.

Probably, given the sort of outfit that Lotus was back in the 60's, the truth about how many of this that or the other were ever made will never be known; that is my "expert opinion" :roll: gained from reading loads of books written when all this stuff was relatively recent history.

Now, about my Sprint; could it possibly have been a secret factory development mule for the Esprit? :twisted: :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:44 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Now, about my Sprint; could it possibly have been a secret factory development mule for the Esprit? :twisted: :twisted:

...That's the legendary Esprint !?!
Christian. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Old English White on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Like many of you I can't stop myself reading through the posts on this subject, it's fun to see the sparks flying occasionally.
Just to add more fuel to the fire:-
Adam, the man not mentioned by by Graham Arnold does supply "FIA Approved parts" for "racing Elans" & that includes aluminium
(aluminum just to avoid any misunderstandings :))radiators.
Furthermore Mr. Arnold held the position of "Sales Director" at Lotus, not what I would call a position with high involvement in things "technical".
Many of the older issues of the "Club Lotus News" had major technical clangers, mostly eminating from aforsaid person.
It is unfair to speak of those no longer able to argue their part, so (unfortunately) no more from me on that.
One thing is for sure. Those people who are heavily involved with Elans not only know of the exsitance of LotusElan.net but you can bet they do keep their eyes on it (maybe with disdain?); be it only to make note of what parts they could remanufacture for a known market etc.
I can fully understand that such people &/or the many eminent Lotus racers in GB, who have the knowledge you mention would never entertain the idea of entering into a foray such as this one. Too much at stake :wink:

Fanning the flames
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:35 pm

John

I agree totally with everything you said and love him or loathe him, Graham Arnold was a character but all I was trying to point out was that in 1987, before the 26R was the crazy money it now seems to be, that is what G. A thought.
I also do not think that he was Sales Director when they were making the 26R (correct me if I'm wrong) but anyway I am sure he knew more about this stuff than me or you! With all this information on them, I think you have to cherry pick what you want to and disregard the rest as there are probably not good enough records left (somebody please prove me wrong here!) to ever say for once and for all who is wrong or right.

Tony Thompson in my opinion is a really good bloke & knows his stuff and if I had a 26R, he is the man I would be talking to. Very good racer too!

In my humble opinion, when they were racing these Elans, they were not at all interested in keeping files on chassis numbers & spec, they were only interested in racing & did not care too much about future values or history. It is only now of course, when a lot of money is at stake that it all really matters. Just a little glad I can only admire them & not have the money to contemplate buying one. I will stick with my S3 coupe for now, great subject though.....

Regards

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Im going to lie down now and dream of real race cars ---ed AND btw heres apic of the drum corps I once belonged to ----the Jolly Jesters a very successful competing corps 00000 be a clown be a clown all the world loves a clown -----
Attachments
JJ57SL.jpg and
JJ57SLjolly jesters.jpg and
images32 coup.jpg
images32 coup.jpg (3.78 KiB) Viewed 42360 times
duce   coup.jpg
duce coup.jpg (4.13 KiB) Viewed 42359 times
duce   coup.jpg
duce coup.jpg (4.13 KiB) Viewed 42363 times

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:37 pm

beaver-837.jpg
beaver-837.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 42339 times
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:25 pm

twincamman wrote:Im going to lie down now and dream of real race cars ---ed AND btw heres apic of the drum corps I once belonged to ----the Jolly Jesters a very successful competing corps 00000 be a clown be a clown all the world loves a clown -----

Ed,
I knew that I had seen you before! :lol:
Attachments
L1130810_0184 copy2.jpg and
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 pm

oh dear the great Canadian beaver has bit the dust -----Good news is its not a split beaver ---- :wink: --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Well never mind Ed,
here's a picture of the CN Tower in Toronto that should cheer you up a bit?
Attachments
APictureoftheCNTowerinToron2.jpg and
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Jeez,

I had to do a double take on the drum and fife - I thought is was a picture of a Klu Klux Klan meeting.....
Which leads in nicely to fanning flames - The fact that the car is referred to as an R or sub type of the production car does little to help in tracking what was what. Lotus would have done everybody a favor by giving it its own type number like they did with the 47. The good news is for those enjoying the debate this can go on for a very long time ....

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: