Racing Elan 1965

PostPost by: trevorb16 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am

I raced a lotus Elan in 1965 ,Red/FHC, wobblies, Reg 10 TEN
Isold it and it was then raced by Bill Dryden in Scotland
Where is this car now . It was built for Jim Clark to do the Tulip Rally ??
I used to race against Jackie Oliver/John Lepp etc in 1965
Does the owner know what he has got ?

I have a 1970 Elan S4 SE which I am restoring
Why does this car not need a chassis, its not been used since 1975 and it seems to be painted with Red Oxide, has that preserved its life ???
I am enjoying aquainting myself with this model and it is very underestimated against other makes and doesnt seem to have the acclaim it deserves ??? Its a surely a true sports car and deserves more
recognition.
Trevor Twaites (Lotus 7 cclimax.Lotus 23B/ChevronsB8,B16,B21/lola T330 F5000.)
trevorb16
New-tral

PostPost by: BRMLotusElan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi Trevor
Sorry if this seems a little late in the day, I came across your message by chance. I remember you well from the 60's, possibly70's as well, when you were competing at Harewood against the likes of Roy Lane, Richard Thwaites, etc. I often spoke to you at those events, but being amongst the lower echelons I probably did not figure too well in matters concerning F5000 technology!
I retuned to Hill-climb/Sprint events a few years ago after restoring my B.R.M. engine Lotus Elan and have been enjoying myself again battling against more modern machines. If you are interested, I would be more than willing to help you with your Elan project, I live in the West Yorkshire area but you can always contact me by e-mail --- [email protected] or even view my website---www.brmlotuselan.com which details the rebuild of the car.

Regards

Dennis
BRMLotusElan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:50 pm

[quote="trevorb16"]I raced a lotus Elan in 1965 ,Red/FHC, wobblies, Reg 10 TEN

I have a 1970 Elan S4 SE which I am restoring
Why does this car not need a chassis, its not been used since 1975 and it seems to be painted with Red Oxide, has that preserved its life ???

Hi Trevor,

I also missed this mail of yours.
When I bought my 2nd hand S4 it also had a nicely red-leaded chassis.
It was later, when poking around, that I discovered that somebody had covered the rust in the front legs with Aluminium foil which was then disguised with the paint.
I hope you have been luckier than I was :oops:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ema7elan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:14 pm

I last saw the registration 10 TEN on an Aston Martin outside a pub on the Wirral in 1970.

EMA7ELAN
ema7elan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan d bell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm

hi denis and trevor,
i have been a member for about a 18 months, but have only come across this thread today. i have acquired an elan that was raced in the sixties, from 65 to 67 in England and then till about 1971 in scotland. since you both raced in the sixties i wonder if either of you ever came across it. it had a white 26r body with a black interior reg mmy599c and was owned by a member of the brdc whom i would love to identify. i know who the scottish race drivers were but so far the identity of the original owner has escaped me, lotus archives are unable to read the invoice but suggest F Hoing or Loing. i know he was a member of brdc because the second owner took the sticker off.
alan d bell
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: