Marbles

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am

Excuse me if I ask a question which will be very simple for the experienced track folk here.

When I take my car on a track-day, the tyres pick up rubber from the track - I believe this is the marbles left from rubber scuffed off other cars' tyres. I think this causes some wobble through the steering, presumably because my wheels go out of balance or even out of true. This used to happen on my +2, but I notice it more on my Elise.

The question is what should I do?
Nothing - it is part of the fun. Does it get worse or just reach a level?
Get the rubber off? How? With a wirebrush? With a scraper of some kind?
Do the wheels then need rebalancing?

thanks and best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:57 am

Drive harder & lay some of your own rubber down :twisted:

Sorry could't resist :oops:

Have a nice weekend
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:03 pm

stay ON the racing line --marbles are OFF the racing line ------ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 am

Iain
It is rare for a competition tyre to pick up bits of rubber or stones from the track when going at racing speeds. The stuff you see on tyres at the end of the race is picked up normally on the return road to the pits when the slow moving hot tyre will pick up stuff pushed into the tread.

What you are referring to may be the deformed rubber on the tyre that generally looks like it has flowed across the tread towards the inside of the wheel. This is normal in a competition tyre used hard at operating temperature. Normally more of it on the fronts than the rears.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: