26r identities and other info

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Shapecraft tops 'MOULDED' !!

R4 WAS I repeat WAS an Aluminium top

IF any one saw my car (as it was then) at Donnington Lotus Show in about 1995 or 1996 on TT stand, you would have observed that in 'refitting' the rear-window, the ally had sheared in two weak points connecting the rear-window to the side-windows.

I agree they were skimmed with glass in places. I owned R4 for nearly 25 years so I do know a little !! I also agree that in that excellent pic, R4 is deviod of ID mark

Has bonsaichris ever seen Barry's pics ??

I look forward to bonsaichris reply to my seperate message,
Also maybe a name - we may know each other - but in any case GOOD LUCK
Michael
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:27 pm

By the way chaps

Here is R4 with some real cars from my collection, about 1974

All Lancia's genuine RHD
All number plates genuine

Michael
Attachments
img314.jpg and
img298.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Michael,
I believe that bonsai posted a period photo of what he referred to as a "mould" for the Shapecraft roof, it would probably have been better if it was described as a "buck", for forming the ally tops. :D

One of the (rare) problems with this forum is that we often have parallel threads running in different sections, perhaps we need a Modertor(s) who could do the house-keeping and merge things which really should be together? Case in point being Shapecraft in the Elan section and 26/R identity in the racing section. Pedants will tell me that not all Shapecrafts were 26/Rs but... you know what I mean.

Jeff sort of asked us if we felt the need to appoint Moderators as "police-men" the resounding opinion was that we did not but I wonder if we could do with a couple of house-keepers to help him out? Perhaps I ought to post this as a suggestion elsewhere on the forum?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 pm

1ela wrote:By the way chaps

Here is R4 with some real cars from my collection, about 1974

All Lancia's genuine RHD
All number plates genuine

Michael

For some reason the expression "lucky bugger" comes to mind. :wink:

What is lurking under the cover and what is the hidden car out on the road?

Please do not attempt to look up the value of these cars if you have a heart condition. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 pm

I probably phrased that badly, the mould i referred to was a plywood former on which the alluminium panels were built up to provide the finished top. the whie S1 that appears on the original advert was made prior to the mould being made. There were never any fibre glass Shapecraft tops made certainly up to the end of 1964.
The bumper fitted to Barrys car in the photo was as per o/e factory spec for the early 26R`s

Buck was the word I was looking for, thankyou, I couldnt get the word Ponce out of my mind but that is what sign writers use.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 pm

bonsai- glad that I interpreted that correctly! I think that we are all pretty much singing from the same hymn-sheet here (although, of course, I was a mere babe in arms at the time all of this took place :wink: ).
It might be for the best if it became a requirement to register one's real name on this forum; this way much misunderstanding could be easily resolved. I frequent another place where two blokes were going at it hammer and tongs (or tongues, even) until it turned out they worked together for some years, when the world was black and white.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm

SUPERB STUFF CHAPS

As they say 'Put your money where your mouth is'

Bonsai must remember this

SEARS Cobra PIPER Cutdown 250GTO SALVADORI Cobra Shapecraft in the picture

How about an exposition

However, IF you are the real deal, don't be frightened

Much Love and kisses !!! Your friend, Michael
Attachments
img836.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Fortunately I still have my wonderful RILEY SPRITE (D.S. on the I.o.M will know what I am talking about)
Attachments
nr 31  a.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am

bonsaichris
Many thanks for your communication
I know we are all singing from the same hymn-sheet and again, many thanks

Attached is R4 getting ready for reunion with R20 after many years

Next instalment after I have had another lie down !! Thank you Richard

I am sure TonyT reads this stuff!!?? so Hi Tony - call in on your next visit to Q******
U have my number

Michael
Attachments
nr 31 b.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:54 am

Pete
I will look out a pic of what is under the cover as soon as

It was probably converted into a RILEY BROOKLANDS long ago

Michael
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 am

1ela wrote:Pete
I will look out a pic of what is under the cover as soon as

It was probably converted into a RILEY BROOKLANDS long ago

Michael

Ha! There are ten times as many "home-converted" Brooklands as there are 26/Rs :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am

Interesting letter cut from a magazine about 30 years ago
Attachments
img838.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

1ela wrote:I dont think Rochas car(s) were 26R I must try to find some clear pics of those cars that I have (had)

As I said on page 22........

'The Rochas drivers were John 'Pancho' Webb, who worked for Len Street (Lotus dealer) in Chelsea, and Ken Eady.

At the risk of causing contraversy, I beleive that John's was genuine S1 26R of '64 vintage whereas Kens was a replica built up for the Monsieur Rochas sponsored '76 sports car series. AFN took over the championship in '77 so I don't think they raced after that. As far as I know Ken went on to race in F3. '

I was mechanicing a 23 so didn't have much to do with Elans at the time but I am pretty sure the above is true. I do know that they were very quick and I'm pretty sure John W won the championship. I believe he went on and founded the Sports 2000 Championship in '77.

I suppose the car that Ken drove would now be classed as a GTS? It certainly wasn't a term we used in those days.

I just wish now that I had taken more interest!
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RIB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Michael and bonsaichris,

Many thanks for the information and photographs of Shapecraft Elans, I think that I have learnt more about them in the last few months than in the last 30 years.

One thing puzzles me, all the photographs of the Dick Crossfield Shapecraft (AUT173B) that I have seen show it without the additional side windows. I have always assumed that it is the Crossfield car that is shown racing at Oulton Park in 1964 in the David Roscoe BRSCC film 'A Hard Day's Fright' (Motorfilms Quarterly volume 23) when it was pale blue.

I took the attached photographs when it was owned and raced by Len Bridge, firstly white and later red after a rebuild. I think that it was then rebuilt again by/for Tony Griffin and resprayed in gold and raced very briefly at Thruxton. Unfortunately it was rolled and badly damaged two corners after I took the photograph of it passing the plastic padding sign.

Ian
Attachments
L Bridge 1.pdf
(617.67 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
RIB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Well, it was many years ago. Most of the history I had was destroyed by a first wife who didnt really undersstand racing and the commitment required, which is why I moved to something rather different after Barry`s problems.
I have it fixed in my mind that Dick Crossfields Car was a 26R and was fitted with a similar if not the same top as the two Surbiton Motors Cars, these being the only 3 x 26R cars fitted with the racing tops. I can even picture it in our workshop when it came back for finishing after the top was fitted, I have a recollection of it being Blue.
Having said all this, I have no evidence to prove it, and would have to accept my memories are not as good as I thought. If the evidence suggests Dicks car was not the same spec top as the SM cars I cant prove different.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: