Michael
Attachments
sprites 102.jpg and
img535.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 am

Does anyone have any ideas on this one ? Possibly Silverstone, 1960's? Maybe E-type 49FXN behind.

The first 26R I saw was mid-1965 outside the main gate at Brands.
It was German registered, RHD, colour Green - brand new and looked fantastic !

Michael
Attachments
img032.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

1ela wrote:Richard. Thanks for that. I must go and lie down first though ! Michael

Soooo glad to see the results when you got up again! :)

Thanks for posting them and keep 'em coming!

Regards - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi All
From the 26R build sheets I have 52 S1 cars were produced and 49 S2 cars.
4 cars in the S2 production run had duplicate nos issued by the factory.

From my research I have managed to find 42 cars currently known to exist.

Cheers
Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Evening all and many thanks for the tuition Richard - next stop - who knows?
I would say more but every thing these days seems to be taken so seriously, so you can see I am an old-school dinosaur.
On a serious note, a friend of mine was knocked down on a Pedestrian Crossing over the weekend. Fortunately she should be discharged from hospital in London tomorrow, but someone else on the crossing is not so fortunate, so BE CAREFUL OUT THERE and BE ALERT.

Michael
Attachments
img832.jpg and
img831.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm

1ela wrote:Evening all and many thanks for the tuition Richard - next stop - who knows?
I would say more but every thing these days seems to be taken so seriously, so you can see I am an old-school dinosaur.
On a serious note, a friend of mine was knocked down on a Pedestrian Crossing over the weekend. Fortunately she should be discharged from hospital in London tomorrow, but someone else on the crossing is not so fortunate, so BE CAREFUL OUT THERE and BE ALERT.

Michael

Michael- who did those drawings? Excellent stuff.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

This pic shows R4 at the back of this little group with identifying front bumper decoration, about 1966 at Ingliston. I used to have lots more info on these cars which I have either lost or misplaced. When TEAM SURBITON MOTORS were in action, Barry Wood used a half-round symbol between front bumper and bonnet - Les Arnold used an oblong mark (probably a stick on number-plate blank) Also, they used the 'registration nrs' SM1 and SM2, for off-road use as shown in the John Blumsden track test at Brands.
From memory, R4 was only rose-jointed on the rear, with a thin anti-roll bar and Hewland(?) limited-slip diff which could be heard working if the car was pushed along the flat.
Attachments
img833.jpg and
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 pm

1ela wrote:<snip> This pic shows R4 at the back of this little group

And what a great pic that is!

(Looks like a Sebring Sprite is also having fun)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 am

Further thoughts on LES ARNOLD prang at Zandvoort prompted by 'bonsaichris' stuff in 'Shapecraft' section.
From my memory ( definitely NOT INFALLIBLE) I contacted Les Arnold through his address in a log-book I had for R4. (probably late 1980's)

HE TOLD ME that his prang occurred because Barry reckoned a particular corner (Hunzerug ?) could be taken in a higher gear than he (Les) had been using (shades of Ricardo Rodriguez and Senna at MEXICO !!!) and Les tried it -- ouch ! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE PHOTOS WHICH SOMEONE MUST HAVE SOMEWHERE.

More thoughts on Barry's photos - he told me that a journalist had copied some of them for an article (which probably never appeared). A proliferation of investment magazines began to appear 20+ years ago although most of the faded just as quickly.
Barry had the carnets for R4 and R20, and wanted a very high price, even for copies.
Les Arnold also had some pics because he offered to send some stuff to me for free. He may still have them?
JUST OCCURRED TO ME: I think Les had a cab firm in London?! Barry Wood was racing a Green Ford Mustang quite successfully which he as driving for the owner (late 1980's early 90's)
LEN STREET Chelsea 1970's - I used to speak to a chap there that had chassis lists and info.
GET SLEUTHING because this is a fascinating subject
MICHAEL
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 am

Dave,

Out of interest how many 26R's do you have recorded as being in Australia?

Cheers

V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm

1ela wrote:
LEN STREET Chelsea 1970's - I used to speak to a chap there that had chassis lists and info.
GET SLEUTHING because this is a fascinating subject
MICHAEL

That might have been John 'Pancho' Webb who raced the lead Rochas 26R in the Monsieur Rochas Sports Car Championship in '76.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Reference latest info on Surbiton Motors -- there were definitly 3 side window tops with the rear vent fitted to 26R chassis, the third one being for Dick Crossfield. Les certainly had a taxi business at the time he owned the car but although Barry`s carried the half moon white ID there was nothong put on Les`s car - see pic below from Brands Hatch in 1964. Les can put whatever spin he likes on thaat accident but those of us involved on that weekend know the truth. I did meet up with Barry a couple of times after his time with HM prisons, there was no hard feelings, what was in the past was best left there

bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1ela » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Sorry to dissappoint chaps

Barry Wood 's pictures that I saw definitely showed the Les Arnold car with identifying feature of stick-on number-plate

I dont think Rochas car(s) were 26R I must try to find some clear pics of those cars that I have (had)

I would be interested as to 'the real reason behind Les Arnold's prang' because I am only putting down what Les Arnold told me - I was not there and obviously would like to hear from someone who was

By the way, R4 is the 3rd car back, but I know everyone has already worked that out.

HOWEVER - were there 2 non-side window 26R Shapecrafts ??
Also, I understand David Ogle died on his way to Brands in 1962, so a Shapecraft connection would have been through the company (Tom Karen, etc - refer to Malcolm Bates letter in OCTANE magazine)
1ela
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bonsaichris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:48 pm

1ela wrote:Sorry to dissappoint chaps

Barry Wood 's pictures that I saw definitely showed the Les Arnold car with identifying feature of stick-on number-plate

By the way, R4 is the 3rd car back, but I know everyone has already worked that out.

HOWEVER - were there 2 non-side window 26R Shapecrafts ??
Also, I understand David Ogle died on his way to Brands in 1962, so a Shapecraft connection would have been through the company (Tom Karen, etc - refer to Malcolm Bates letter in OCTANE magazine)

Well the picture you see there at Brands clearly shows Les`s car without any I/D strip on the front. The Autosport Cup was at Zandvort on the 30th Aug 64. Les was unable to drive that car again in 1964, and as the person who prepared both those cars there never was any id on Les`s Car- race No for Zandvort - 34.

There were 3 x 26R chassis fitted with the Shapecraft tops with additional side windows. No S1 chassis had that style top fitted to them. This assumes that Shapecraft independantly didnt build some themselves (they owned the mould) but if they did it wouldnt have been until 1965.
bonsaichris
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 pm

So, who is leading Barry Woods (114) car? :D

I believe that Barry's car was R-20, which is now owned by Tony Thompson; it lost it's Shapecraft roof about 69/70 but TT has refitted one. Interestingly (if my "facts" are correct), TT has fitted the short 26/R2 bumper, rather than the full-width one shown.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: