Rear Strut Knock

PostPost by: richardy8496 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:02 pm

I've recently changed the bushes in the rear suspension but now have a mysterious knocking. It is noticeable at odd times when driving the car and, when the car is stationary and the rear bounced, there is a knock (more a loud click) from the nearside on the rebound . It appears to be coming from the strut although there is no visible sign of abnormal movement or play. The suspension was not dismantled when the bushes were renewed, just the wishbones removed and replaced. Has anyone had anything similar or have any idea what might be causing the noise?
richardy8496
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: skyarch » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:31 pm

I have the same click on the same side from the same location, on a 67 DHC! It appears when cornering or when bouncing at a standstill.
I also replaced the wishbone bushings. In my case I think it may be the Lotocone, just got a new set from Sue.
skyarch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardy8496 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:24 pm

From what I can see through the hole above the damper top nut the Lotocone looks pretty perished but I don't see how the clicking noise can be created there. In fact, I think it is coming from the lower part of the strut although it's very difficult to pinpoint the noise. I'm a bit loathe to do a big dismantling job without establishing the cause beforehand as I doubt it would be possible to replicate the knock without the suspension attached to the car.
richardy8496
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:03 pm

I had a similar knock from the rear corner. It turned out to be the male nut in the top of the shock absorber housing had unscrewed a little allowing the shock absorber to move up and down.
If you look between the spring turns and prise the rubber dust shield upwards you can see the nut.
I could not tighten it satisfactorily so had to remove it.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: