Bundy pipes on a +2 Fed

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 am

I tried the search function and didn?t come up with what I was looking for. Has anyone documented the lengths of the various bundy pipes on a +2S fed? I?m trying to decide the best route to take: purpose built +2 pipes from the usual sources (if available), universal pre-made pipes in ?close to? the correct lengths, or making my own from bulk tubing and new fittings.

Any suggestions or advice??
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:18 am

Bud English wrote: <snip> Any suggestions or advice??

Hi Bud,

I suggest reading this thread.

elan-f15/brake-pipe-flaring-tool-t23986.html

It gives tips on tool choice (if you haven't already got one) and some of the pitfalls when using them. May help you decide right route for you.

FWIW, the last set I got was a fourth option...I took measurements to a local motor factor and got them custom made as my tool had gone "walkabout" :(

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard. I had previously read the thread you posted and it was full of good info. I still have the pipes I pulled off the chassis to use for patterns. I was looking for the lengths because I didn't want to straighten them out for a good measurement.

It?s been quite awhile since I?ve used my flaring tool and I was getting cold feet remembering the all ?fun? I?d had. But that was before you tube demos and all of the help available here on the forum. I think I?ll toss my flaring tool, pick up a better one, along with a tubing bender and give it a shot.

When I'm done, I'll straighten out the old bundy's and document the lengths for anyone else looking for that info later.

Thanks again.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi again, Bud

Bud English wrote: I was looking for the lengths because I didn't want to straighten them out for a good measurement

Rather than fully re-straightening I used a dressmakers tape measure...but please don't tell anyone... :oops:
Bud English wrote: I think I?ll toss my flaring tool, pick up a better one, along with a tubing bender and give it a shot

Good call. I notice your location...I guess motor factors are a bit thin on the ground.
What a great place name though...what's with the Frankenstein monster?
winnemucca.jpg and

Bud English wrote: When I'm done, I'll straighten out the old bundy's and document the lengths for anyone else looking for that info later.

V.useful. (The sort of detail that should, ideally, be in parts lists)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Bud. Sounds like you are going to fabricate new lines; that's how I ended up doing it after I had difficulties finding some one willing to do it for me locally. Also, as I was changing from stock to a Spyder frame, the pieces required were slightly different. I suppose Richard's fourth option could be considered if you can ask them to simply make up pieces identical to the one's you have taken off? I would have gone this route if I could have found a guy.

I did check with Ray, and he did not supply the various pieces in pre-made lengths. Bean's may (I think they say they will in their catalog), but like you I couldn't provide the required lengths so I didn't check out this option further. Spyder mentions on their web site they can supply the various lines for their chassis all pre-bent, but when I mentioned the Federal dual booster set-up for a LHD car, well that idea was unfortunately out. :(

I found these plier type benders from Eastwood good for final touches and working in tight quarters around the towers and the boosters.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brake-formin ... liers.html

Turned out all OK in the end, but I expect I spent more time worrying about the job than doing it. :)

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Richard ? Tried the dressmaker?s tape. Got a different measurement each time I tried it on the same pipe (all within an inch). Had to lose the tape in the bottom of the bin before I got caught using it. Not like it was the only one?

We have the usual assortment of auto supply places here but all are useless for anything Lotus, except for the fairly new models and there's none of those that I know of.

The story told on the origin of the name Winnemucca goes back to an Indian chief, spotted by some of the first white men in the area, wearing only one moccasin. When asked ?want a moccasin?? he supposedly liked the sound of that and changed his name. As for the road sign, I?ve never seen that one and have no idea about the monster.

Stu ? I tend to over think/worry as well. I?m trying to put all that behind me and get this done, this year. ?.but I still find myself thinking ?couldn?t I make that better if I just put a little more time into it?.

Onward and upward!
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

I presume you used Bundy pipes just to refer to brake pipes generally.

CuNi seems to be the best material to work with. Easy to shape, not so prone to work hardening like copper and corrosion resistant.

Automec in the UK would ship to the USA complete with brass fitting i am sure.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Gerry,

I was referring to the brake lines in this case. Bundy pipes isn?t the term normally used here in the US, but it seems to work best on the forum search. I gather bundy tubing is a somewhat universal term for flared thin wall tubing in the UK. It?s the term used in the +2 manual. I did notice that the rigid tube used from the wiper motor to the firewall (bulkhead) is referred to as a bundy tube as well.

I had the pleasure of living in Felixstowe, Suffolk for three years in the late seventies. It was there that I became somewhat familiar with the differences in the common language that we speak. Automotive (motor) terminology was just a start. Beer was another word with totally a different meaning. Here in Nevada I can?t pop around the corner and get a pint of Norwich bitter. Miss that.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Bud, yes its all in the usage. Bundy is actually a propietary name for a brazed steel tubing, not best for the Elan due to corrosion.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: