Twisted safety belts

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi There

On my 1970 plus 2s both safety belt buckles (the male part that slides on the belt) are 180 degrees out. They both have plastic inserts and are so close fitting to the belt that is impossible to fold the belt and run them along to get them to face the other way. The belt is not twisted. I might be being a bit dim, but how do I get them the right way round? The only way that I can think of is to take the reels apart and slide the buckle off of the end of the belt and put back on the other way round. Do they come apart enough to let you get to the end of the belt?

Si 130/5 probably knows the answer to this as he had his apart and cleaned the belts till they looked new. I was very impressed. I will have to clean mine if I am forced to take them off.

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:47 pm

Hi Bernie, I presume they are inertia type ? If so I have a cautionary tale about taking the box of tricks end apart - I did with mine (removed the 3 screws) quite unaware of the fact that a coiled spring (similar to a wound up clockwork toy one) was gonna fly out ? I never did get it back with the right tension so I changed the belts. Re buckles wrong way round - can't you fold the strap right over (so the strap does a flat right angle) and persuade the buckle over it - I have managed this a couple of times in the past. Bit of a struggle I know. Even the end of the strap has a double layer (a sleeve) that fits over the cross shaft in the 'wind up' end so still hard to get buckle right off I think. Good luck rgds John (+2S130)
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ngs » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi Bernie.
If the belts were like this when you bought the car, is possible that someone has previously had them out and put them back in on the wrong sides ?

Nigel
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:39 pm

Hi Berni,

I would never recommend trying to get the webbing off the reel.

If they weren't inertia reel belts and you really can't fold and twist them I suppose you could have removed the rear side trim panels and twisted the reels through 180 degrees but then any inertia pendulum locking system wouldn't operate.

If anyone is interested my S130 Reflex belts had had their day so I bought some hardly used inertia reels specified for the rubber bumper 1500 Midget which fitted perfectly (using the 90 degree MG bracket) and the chrome tongues fit the Kangol stalks so it looks unchanged from the original. I always thought the Securon ones didn't look right.

I'll see you at the weekend Berni, and we'll see if we can find a solution.

Best wishes,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:12 am

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I reckon that Nigel might be right. Good lateral thinking that. I will swap them over.

Thanks again

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi again,
Forgive my slowness. Swapping reels left to right -I can't see that as a solution.
Perhaps the 1970 +2S belt reels are very different to the Kangol Reflex ones but assuming they use the same long bolts with spacers it may be that your reels are fixed facing the rear of the car in which case attaching them facing forward would solve the problem - Sorry Nigel, is that what you meant?

Hope this helps.

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ngs » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi again.

Sorry Si, I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my last post.

What I meant to suggest was that Bernie try swapping the entire seat belt assembly from left to right sides of the car. I didn't intend to suggest dismantling the reels.

My seat belts are buried in a box somewhere, but from memory the reel mechanisms are the same with the only difference being which way the plug-in buckle is pointing on the webbing.

My car's body is going off to get primed in a fortnight. I've lost count of how many hours I've spent sanding and fibreglassing. I'm not feeling too energetic this morning, might have something to do with staying up half the night watching the cricket.

Cheers, Nigel

www.fishinternet.com.au/~lotuselan
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:26 pm

Apologies Nigel,
It looks like I'm in unknown territory here as I'm not familiar with that kind of belt - the ones on my car aren't handed.
It's a tricky job giving out advice on matters you're not entirely familiar with - maybe I'd better resign :D

I've seen your photos and your car will be fantastic.
Congratulations,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Berni,
You are not alone - I too have twisted seat belts. I am 100% certain that they have never been off of the car and I cannot see how they can be twisted round.

Let me know if you have any success by swoping them over.

Thanks

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:42 am

Hi Guys

I found that the safetybelt reels on my car were mounted back to front, ie facing the wrong way. They looked right, because the flat back was against the mounting, but in fact they go on long bolts with spacers so that the curved part of the belt mechanism faces the mounting (back of the car). I got hold of the right bolts and spacers, turned them round and now they work fine. No twist and they reel in and out better as well.

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:25 pm

Hi Berni,
Any chance you could post a picture on the web - I would like to resolve this annoying problem in my car.

thanks

dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:35 am

Hi Dave, I will get you some pics for you and let you know when I have posted them up.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: