MOT's for 1969 classic Elan +2

PostPost by: grahammay2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Having owned for 10 months my 1st experience is closing in fast. Do members recommend using 'classic experienced MOT testers'. If so how to find one in the Bromley Kent area.

Your thoughts are welcomed
Graham
:lol:
grahammay2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: weldsol » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Graham you could try your local Lotus agent.
They should know about the 2+2's ( depending on the age of their mechanics :) )

Paul
If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical fault
weldsol
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rong » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I've always used my local MOT garage and they have always been fair. The only item that always seems to cause a problem is the handbrake inefficiency!! If you pay particular attention to the adjustment you should be OK. Just go round and check all the obvious things like lights, washers etc. (at least corrosion to the body won't be an issue)

Regards
Rong
1968 +2
rong
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am

I have started putting a couple of extra spare wheels+tyres in the boot for the +2 MoT test. The handbrake efficiency is based on the retardation at the wheels and doesn't seem to take into account whether they lock (although this is recorded). If there is not enough weight in the back, they can lock 'early' and not provide enough retardation. I have also watched my friendly MoT testers push down on the back to help out... :)
I always tighten the adjusters on each side before the test to get the levers working at 90? to the direction of pull for maximum efficiency. It also helps to apply the handbrake at 'speed' (with CAUTION! :shock: ) a few times to clean off the rear discs & pads - they can get dirty/rusty if only lightly used. Only once managed to lock the rear wheels at low speed on downward sloping dry tarmac (in Elan S4) i.e. they're no good for autotesting! :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 am

Hello
Here in France we have a "Controle technique" . Our friendly local tester pumped the footbrake in order to fool the computer/machine into thinking the hand brake was actually working efficiently!
"Bon Courage" as they say here!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Oh dear!! :shock: That completely defeats the object of having a suitable EMERGENCY brake... :roll:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:31 pm

but we all know it's not an emergency brake and never was,it's to (hopefully) stop the bloomin' thing rolling away when you park!if you have an emergency,ripping the pad material from the backing plates and pulling the umbrella out the car will be all you manage!it's the same for most old jaguars,find an mot tester with some common sense,all will be ok.
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am

Hi Graham,

I get my +2 ticketed at Kinghams of Croydon. John Riches there really understands what testing a classic is all about and he also gives me the opportunity to look under the car and check the gearbox oil level (with the car level!) while its up on the ramp. I always feel that it has had a thorough inspection (which is good) while the rules have been interpreted intelligently and sympathetically. My rears always lock up both on footbrake and handbrake. As I understand it that's a pass and is not that uncommon on a light car with good brakes.

Give them a try.

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chickenhawk » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 am

You might want to try:-

Orpington Saab
Paynesfield Road
Tatsfield
Biggin Hill
Kent
TN16 2AT

Call us on 01959 574 737

Ask for Andy (he's the boss) tell him you got his number from Martin. He's normally pretty sympathetic as long as the car's sound.
"As a child, Robert Mason dreamed of levitating. As a young man, he dreamed of flying helicopters - and the U.S. Army gave him his chance. - Chickenhawk by Robert Mason"
Chickenhawk
New-tral

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Apologies for the bump - Graham, where did you go in the end ? I shall need to organise mine in a couple of weeks.

Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grahammay2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I used Nationwide Autocenters at Elmers End, the guy there was very sensible about matters, but I did fail with park brake which I thought should just be ok. Anyway was sorted without much of a problem. The other problem was a rear disc was just rubbing on brake flexi hose, with car up on jack and rests this did not show any probs. It was a good job that the test was due!!

richardcox_lotus wrote:Apologies for the bump - Graham, where did you go in the end ? I shall need to organise mine in a couple of weeks.

Richard
grahammay2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm

You could just get the Spyder handbrake system and take it anywhere.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: