Help with purchasing an Elan +2

PostPost by: RoadDad » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Carlos A wrote:I forgot to mention the December 1998 issue of Practical Classics magazine, which includes an excellent illustrated buying guide for the Elan +2.

There is one issue for sale at ebay UK (item number 400013511218)

Best,

Carlos

Thanks, Carlos.

The +2 that you linked to has indeed not been sold. It is being kept by the owner.
"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -- Stirling Moss
RoadDad
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 am

Hello "RoadDad",
I recommend patience and one will come your way. A decent driver needing some work can be had for around six to nine grand, more for restored. Where are you in the U.S.? I've got a stock '69 +2 (not for sale) and would be happy to appraise any for sale for you if it's near me. They are kind of rare, not many built compared to most cars so not all that many come up for sale, but worth the wait.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Chassis Chassis Chassis particularly the front shocker towers. If it hasn't been replaced with a galvanised chassis, it will need it.
The electrics are pretty flakey - check EVERYTHING works.

Is it a five speed gearbox? - 1973's could be. Five speeds are slow and awkward to change - most prefer the 4 speeds or change it for a Ford T9 5 speed box or similar which is brilliant.

Above all they are great cars to drive and to work on. Good luck
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Sea and Moor,

You may prefer the 4 speed but my 5 speed is neither slow or awkward to change.

Cheers,

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Ian,
Well I'm pleased someone appears to be fortunate but the OP asked for some general advice/opinions and I don't think anyone would strongly disagree that the 4 speed is way slicker and more durable than the Maxi box, after all it is the reason why so many owners swap the old 5 speed for something a lot better.

I was one of them because I just wanted something that was a joy to drive and give some stick to rather being a purist and searching for rare parts for frequent rebuilds.
Horses for courses but the knackers yard for my 5sp I'm afraid.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:24 pm

I often hear how much better the 4 speed is but all i can say is that my 5 speed is very good,plus i have the obvious benefits of the extra gear..maybe the 5 speeds you have had havnt been in the best of condition? Anyway iv said my piece and im not going to fall out with a fellow enthusiast so have a great christmas and roll on the spring..

Cheers,

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Just to get back to the original point...RoadDad have you found any help here? What can we do to support your oncoming disease and welcome you into the relationship with one of the most captivating devices this side of a woman.

Come to think of it, not a bad analogy: Frustrating yet captivating, joyfully engaging yet demanding, expensive to maintain yet worth it every time we go for a ride. Oh boy I'd better stop before I get in trouble :oops: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I hope your Christmas wish for an Elan is filled :D
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:Oh boy I'd better stop before I get in trouble

Turrets prone to collapse after 40 years?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:12 pm

sagging rear end???
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 pm

One of the quickest checks for the condition of the body and dodgy repairs is to run your hands around the inside of the wheelarch "lips"/edges. On my car it was more filler than fibreglass.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RoadDad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 pm

1964 S1 wrote:Hello "RoadDad",
I recommend patience and one will come your way..., but worth the wait.

I'm almost at the end of my patience with this waiting :oops:

It had better be worth the wait when it finally happens.
"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -- Stirling Moss
RoadDad
New-tral

PostPost by: RoadDad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:Just to get back to the original point...RoadDad have you found any help here? What can we do to support your oncoming disease and welcome you into the relationship with one of the most captivating devices this side of a woman.

Indeed I did find a lot of help here. Thank you.
Ross Robbins wrote:Anyway, I hope your Christmas wish for an Elan is filled :D

A few Christmas wishes later and still no +2 yet...

Yet.
RoadDad
New-tral

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 am

Welcome back RoadDad. Sorry to hear of your extended search. May be my imagination, but complete looking Plus 2's do seem to be coming up less frequently in the US and Canada. I did rather like this one in Texas from a while ago, but I believe it is now sold.

elan-for-sale-f2/1970-elan-federal-lhd-houston-usa-t21535.html

Perhaps you can you provide some info on the type of project/car you are hoping for, say from the following general broad categories? Someone may know of something local, as a lot of stalled projects only get listed in club newsletters, etc. rather than FleaBay.

trailer project / parts collection
    complete but not running
    running but needs attention
    ready to go and sorted

There was a Plus 2 project available in my area last year, but I don't know if it sold or not.

When I was looking a while ago, I tried all of the Lotus clubs newsletters I could find on line. Seemed to be more cars available a few years ago for sure, but can be a good source in your search. More importantly, a regular lister may know of an available car it their area, as I notice a lot of the clubs aren't posting current newsletters with classified sections any more.

HTH and good luck!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dr Brian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am

Road Dad

You have a PM
Dr Brian
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

viewtopic.php?t=17029

I decided to keep the car. It took a while to sort out. Part of the "sorting out" was replacing the TC front covers and using the "opportunity" to install a cassette water pump. Which was most disappointing as the engine was rebuilt by a very experienced rebuilder. It appears they had clogged with gasket sealer a small oil passage in the inner front cover reducing lubrication to the lower timing chain. I replaced all the gears, timing chain, covers and pump. I also had the custom alloy radiator fit with a new higher output cooling fan. The new fan is at least 4 times the output. These changes should yield a cool running engine regardless of ambient temperature. So it goes.

I still have a few very minor issues to resolve. I am anxiously awaiting the completion of a detached garage I am building. It is close to completion. It is 32 feet by 40 feet and heated with 115 and 230 electrical service (1 ph) (U.S.).

As the above outlined repairs were completed as winter came, I have not driven the car extensively. I await nice weather and the garage to work in. Unfortunately
"global warming" has yielded a persistent cold winter...yet again.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: