Lotus Excel driving impressions

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:53 am

Hi All

Following on from the Plus 2 driving impressions thread, I thought that I’d see if there is anyone who has moved on from an Elan to an Excel, and what their thoughts are. Given the Plus 2 is recognised as being more of a relaxed tourer than an Elan, does the Excel continue that theme, or does it try and stay as lively as the Elan ?

All contributions welcome

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:10 pm

As far as I remember it the Excel was a great test drive, vivid and precise, yet comfy.
Not big enough in the back for my children, so I did not buy it. Bought a 993, was great too. Sold soon as too expensive overall. Kind of regret not having bought the Excel
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:56 pm

Depends on drivetrain
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:49 pm

Never owned an Excel but did have a type 75 Elite, so a similar car and I would categorise it as a lot closer to the Plus 2 than the Elan but with useable rear seats. Slower off the line but went round the corners much more 'flat' than the Plus 2.

And definitely a lot more comfortable all round versus the Plus 2, especially on long trips. And more comfortable than the S1 Esprit.

That said, if I ever buy another Lotus it will be a Plus 2 :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:13 pm

My first Lotus was an Excel SE.
I loved it as it was so enjoyable to drive. Comfortable, reliable with aircon etc. It was said to be the best handling front engine/rear wheel drive car at the time.
If I had to choose between an Excel and Plus 2 I would probably go for the Plus 2 as it has the looks and is much more of a classic car.
Saying that if I were to buy a 2+2 it would most likely be an Evora. Early ones are now similar money to a really nice Plus 2
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RobertMaulden » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:52 pm

Used two Excel SE's as everyday cars for some years, covering around 150k miles in total.

Excellent reliability (many Toyota parts of course) & easy to look after at home.

I also tracked one of them, & was very impressed.

A better car by far than a +2 (owned a 130/5) but it's not really a fair comparison.

From what I have seen, prices of good cars with history are on the rise, but still affordable atm.

Have owned many Lotus cars & still have an S2 Elan that has been mine for 35 years.
RobertMaulden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:03 am

Visited the NEC classic car show at the weekend.
There was an old battered Excel on the Club Lotus stand which the driver used everyday. He was not precious about it as he put a sign up saying please feel free to touch and sit in.
Thats an owner who appreciates his Excel and wants to let others know about it.
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: