Spider pricing BEWARE

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:01 pm

Last week I ordered a set of minilite wheels from Spydercars. I have yet to receive them or the invoice but did notice that my account had been debited by around £50 more than the advertised price on their website. I phoned them and queried why I had been charged a not inconsiderable amount more. The storeman said they don’t always update their prices for weeks because it was a lot of trouble to do so. Frankly I was pretty unimpressed by this reply. I pointed out that they were running a business and the onus was on them to ensure pricing information was correct or they risked p*****g off their customers. When I ordered over the phone I made it made clear I was viewing both the product and pricing on their website.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:07 am

I'm fairly sure you could simply reject the sale, especially as they have not even been received. They cannot simply charge an arbitary amount because THEY cannot be bothered. That is absurd. Does it mention on the site that all prices are approximate and subject to change without notice? Does it advise contacting them for the latest prices before ordering? They had the opportunity during the 'phone chat.

Tell them to refund the difference or arrange to pickup the wheels when they arrive. Although, being the Peterborough d*ckwits, I'm not surprised.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am

Yes, your points are all totally valid which is why I was so annoyed and especially about the bit where it was too much effort to update the prices. After posting the note last night I sent an email to their ‘contact us’ clearly marked for the attention of the Managing Director in which I made a complaint and requested they refund the difference.
We wait to see just what sort of supplier they are!
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:36 am

it's good to have this kind of information, as we (me less than others) can help good suppliers (garages) get better AND we can disregard the others.
it would never occur to me to buy anything off of spyder as i never needed a new chassis (never bent, never had lived outside of a heated garage and never had any corrosion) PLUS their suspension parts are a bit rudimentary for my taste (but we once used to manufacture F1, Gr.C and Moto GP components) - however and maybe the chassis design itself is better: BUT i added a safety devices cage as reinforcement during the cars' resurrection in 1981, so it's always been much stiffer (and safer) than any spyder replica could be! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 am

I have just received an email from the MD at Spyder. To his credit he accepted the points I made regarding maintenance of their web site including pricing information and has offered to refund the overcharge. He also says they are expecting to make an appointment for someone whose job will include web site updating.
I am pleased with this outcome as it means I will still use Spyder as a supplier of parts as appropriate.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:20 am

Well done - a good outcome. Maybe another successful use of this forum!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 am

Of course if vendors frequented the forum... but they are probably too busy to do that.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:15 pm

yep -- the result counts. so lotuselan.net served its MATES! and also suppliers - almost like a fairy tale: sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: