New electric Lotus, old batteries

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:49 pm

I`m waiting until they make an electric pickup. Then I will put a big diesel generator in the back plugged into the side of the car. Huge power, pre-charge at home, Unlimited range. Perfect. That`ll show `em .
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm

ericbushby wrote:I`m waiting until they make an electric pickup. Then I will put a big diesel generator in the back plugged into the side of the car. Huge power, pre-charge at home, Unlimited range. Perfect. That`ll show `em .
Eric in Burnley

Brilliant. :D
The North of England again sets off the industrial revolution.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:18 pm

billwill wrote:
Is there enough Hydrogen on earth to power 32 million cars? Yup, Solar and Wind power can be used to extract Hydrogen with zero carbon footprint, efficiency is less important as the energy source is free.

Is there enough (whatever is needed) to make the solar cells & wind turbines to convert water to hydrogen? Dunno yet.

Solar and Wind to convert water to extract hydrogen (electrolysis) is excruciatingly inefficient. The best solar cells are only 25% efficient. I'm putting those 25% ones on my roof this week. Some will power the plug in hybrid car I buy soon. At least it will be clean.

PSA can use waste stream hydrocarbons and ammonia to separate the hydrogen efficiently. There is no combustion and no carbon released to the atmosphere. Ammonia from waste treatment plants is the cleanest feedstock because the only byproduct is nitrogen.

Speaking of carbon, our beloved little Elans produce 300 times more HC, CO, and NOX than a modern emission controlled vehicles today. Driving our cars twice a year 100 miles each produces the same amount of carbon as a modern car.....
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 am

Speaking of carbon, our beloved little Elans produce 300 times more HC, CO, and NOX than a modern emission controlled vehicles today. Driving our cars twice a year 100 miles each produces the same amount of carbon as a modern car.....

Unless your running fuel injection. With o2. And a cat.

Ied also point out, that the production. Accounts for 86% of the hydrocarbons over the vehicles life. Maybe that number is skewed, as it seems most things produced now a days are meant to be thrown out withnin a few years.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:07 am

h20hamelan wrote:Speaking of carbon, our beloved little Elans produce 300 times more HC, CO, and NOX than a modern emission controlled vehicles today. Driving our cars twice a year 100 miles each produces the same amount of carbon as a modern car.....

Unless your running fuel injection. With o2. And a cat.

Ied also point out, that the production. Accounts for 86% of the hydrocarbons over the vehicles life. Maybe that number is skewed, as it seems most things produced now a days are meant to be thrown out withnin a few years.

I think your mixing up Co2 production from a greenhouse gas perspective versus other pollutants that our Elans produce due to no modern fuel injection and catalysts.

Their greenhouse gas contribution is higher than many modern cars due to their higher fuel consumption but only around 50% with typical Weber setups and if running Strombergs tuned for economy maybe only around 10%

As you point out out though keeping old cars going is actually a greenhouse reducing step as making a new Tesla produces more greenhouse gas during its manufacture than an Elan will produce over many future years of its existing life

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am

ericbushby wrote:I`m waiting until they make an electric pickup. Then I will put a big diesel generator in the back plugged into the side of the car. Huge power, pre-charge at home, Unlimited range. Perfect. That`ll show `em .
Eric in Burnley

I personally believe that electric / battery plug in cars with a compact range extending motor / generator set is the best current solution especially for Australia with its long driving distances. Use in full electric mode around cities on short trips and run the petrol or diesel motor if doing long trips on motorways. Cruising on motorways needs little power so even in a large car the range extending motor can be very small. No need for a big gen set in the back of a pickup :lol:

I saw a design that Lotus did a few years ago of a very compact 3 cylinder turbo charged range extending engine that was optimised for constant rev running at its peak efficiency point to provide power to a generator that would power the electric motors for cruising and use any surplus to keep the batteries charged when full power was needed for accelerating

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am

Rohan wrote `No need for a big gen in the back`
Oh! Spoilsport !
It has to be big to make the point. Bigger the better.
Using home charging for short trips it might not cost much more for fuel. and the charging points want double for the electricity anyway.
You would be allowed into the low emission zones in cities, Low or no car tax, forget about charging points,
no range anxiety and they couldn`t touch you for it.
It would look good in car shows too,
Oh, go on, let me have one. Please !
Eric in Burnley
PS
To show you how much I like large ugly vehicles, I am currently running:-
Ford Focus automatic estate 4 cylinder ecoboost
Ford Fiesta automatic 3 cylinder ecoboost
Lotus Elan, which has the biggest engine !!!!!!
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 am

If we go all electric, how will we generate the power required for 32m cars? Given the lead time on building power stations (or green energy) I don't see how we can meet the 2030 targets.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am

ericbushby wrote:Rohan wrote `No need for a big gen in the back`
Oh! Spoilsport !
It has to be big to make the point. Bigger the better.
Using home charging for short trips it might not cost much more for fuel. and the charging points want double for the electricity anyway.
You would be allowed into the low emission zones in cities, Low or no car tax, forget about charging points,
no range anxiety and they couldn`t touch you for it.
It would look good in car shows too,
Oh, go on, let me have one. Please !
Eric in Burnley
PS
To show you how much I like large ugly vehicles, I am currently running:-
Ford Focus automatic estate 4 cylinder ecoboost
Ford Fiesta automatic 3 cylinder ecoboost
Lotus Elan, which has the biggest engine !!!!!!

You can have one now ( almost) Buy a Tesla or Nissan Leaf or one of many other available now plug in full electrical / battery cars and hook up a trailer with as big a gen set as you want when heading off on a long trip and off you go. A full electric pickup / ute is about a year away as i understand it, but easier to have your gen set on a trailer so you can disconnect when you want so not carrying excess weight when you dont need. A light compact gen set could actually be designed to fit in the boot / trunk and be easily removable, as it needs be no bigger or heavier than a midsize motor bike engine and fuel tank

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 am

Hi Rohan,
You see, that`s the trouble with you. You always come up with a proper reasoned sensible answer.
You`r no fun anymore,
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am

ericbushby wrote:Hi Rohan,
You see, that`s the trouble with you. You always come up with a proper reasoned sensible answer.
You`r no fun anymore,
Cheers
Eric

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 am

mikealdren wrote:If we go all electric, how will we generate the power required for 32m cars? Given the lead time on building power stations (or green energy) I don't see how we can meet the 2030 targets.

Power consumption in the UK is very time-of-day dependent.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

If you zoom into the daily and weekly graphs, the difference between day and night consumption is (apparently - I haven't done the maths myself) more than enough to charge all cars in the UK overnight. Power stations run best flat out, so the electricity supply industry is very happy with the idea of electric cars - assuming that they charge overnight - as it will flatten out demand.

If everyone plugs in at 6:30pm, then there will be issue, but with a bit of smart scheduling over the period of the night there is (apparently) already sufficient capacity.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am

rgh0 wrote:
I personally believe that electric / battery plug in cars with a compact range extending motor / generator set is the best current solution especially for Australia with its long driving distances. Use in full electric mode around cities on short trips and run the petrol or diesel motor if doing long trips on motorways. Cruising on motorways needs little power so even in a large car the range extending motor can be very small. No need for a big gen set in the back of a pickup :lol:

I saw a design that Lotus did a few years ago of a very compact 3 cylinder turbo charged range extending engine that was optimised for constant rev running at its peak efficiency point to provide power to a generator that would power the electric motors for cruising and use any surplus to keep the batteries charged when full power was needed for accelerating

cheers
Rohan

Plug-in hybrids have been with us for quite a while - with varying mixes of battery size and engine size.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/hybrid/best-hybrid-cars-and-plug-ins/

Personally I think these are a dead end. You get the worst of both worlds, you are lugging an internal combustion engine around with you that you don't need on short journeys, and batteries that you don't need on long journeys. The current state of the art of electric vehicles doesn't meet everyone's requirements, if you want to travel long distances in the outback, then an electric car isn't for you.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Not sure where I read it. Thought Scotland was on track to use single cylinder diesel electrics. Nothing else was going to be sold new...Can’t find it anywhere. Nor can I find Tyrrell’s city in India where he had “GeoThermal” charging stations. I recall the frames holding the compressed Geo. And a nylon block and piston “engine/rotational mass” using a one way air valve.
Following “Lorry” “Big Rig” news a little bit. How is the bio mass (agricultural/forestry waste) diesel in Europe these days?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:15 pm

pretty soon you'll see this unwanted electro-garbage at dumps, where the officials will need tax money to recycle the shit for 20'000 £ PER UNIT, fellas! ill stick to my UNLEADED elan and won't run out of gas ---- and i love showing tesla drivers HOW QUICK my punk is! ------------ mine weighs not much more than a 26 ------------- cfrp
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: