Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 pm

good job!
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for posting that video Greg.The Brits are so lucky to have access to this event every year.

Just an observation for all the Yanks out there...I have been to the BIg Ones - BRIC at Elkhart Lake/Road America, Historics at Monterey/Laguna Seca and the Vintage Festivals at Lime Rock and Sebring. While all are outstanding events, none of these compares to the Revival in scale, race quality, car quality and ambiance. It is as if you have literally been transported by time machine back to the early days of racing in the 60's. If you can find a way to go, do it...you will have a lifetime memory.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Plus 1 from one of those who finally made the trip last year with James(Holywood3546), and we had perfect weather. Binged watched this years event on youtube, all eleven hours worth.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:33 am

Ross Robbins wrote:Thanks so much for posting that video Greg.The Brits are so lucky to have access to this event every year.

Just an observation for all the Yanks out there...I have been to the BIg Ones - BRIC at Elkhart Lake/Road America, Historics at Monterey/Laguna Seca and the Vintage Festivals at Lime Rock and Sebring. While all are outstanding events, none of these compares to the Revival in scale, race quality, car quality and ambiance. It is as if you have literally been transported by time machine back to the early days of racing in the 60's. If you can find a way to go, do it...you will have a lifetime memory.

Ross, in other words.. "Bucket List Experience."

I want to do that someday, plus a Lotus Factory, Classic Team Tour, Clark Museum.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:39 am

Yes I saw that race live when we were at Goodwood. Naturally I was rooting for the Elan but it was really only its straight line speed that kept it in front. The Marcos seemed to have it beat every time on the twisty stuff. Edge of the seat (if we'd been sitting) stuff right to the end though.

This was it (cooling down :lol: ) afterwards:

Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 am

How on earth did the Marcos do so well?

With apologies to any Marcos fans, I thought the Marcos was little more than a re-bodied Mini - Mini front and rear subframes, an A series engine, front wheel drive and a glassfibre body that looks (to me) a bit like a woodlouse.

In comparison the Elan is a thoroughbred racer and should have left it in the dust?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 am

Andy8421 wrote:How on earth did the Marcos do so well?

With apologies to any Marcos fans, I thought the Marcos was little more than a re-bodied Mini - Mini front and rear subframes, an A series engine, front wheel drive and a glassfibre body that looks (to me) a bit like a woodlouse.

In comparison the Elan is a thoroughbred racer and should have left it in the dust?

Answer - A swift-tune engine (known to be one of the best A series engine builders) and also of course Nick Swift himself at the wheel!

I'm also guessing now but the mini Marcos maybe better aero/less drag than a Mini and fiberglass body lighter?

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

innesw wrote:
Andy8421 wrote:How on earth did the Marcos do so well?

Answer - A swift-tune engine (known to be one of the best A series engine builders) and also of course Nick Swift himself at the wheel!

Innes

Taking nothing away from the Elan but that's what it looked like to me.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:16 pm

http://www.robertbarrielimited.com will give you a bit of an insight of the person pedalling the Elan
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Yes Dan,

That is exactly what I am saying! And,furthermore, how do you know when the "Bucket" has arrived? I suggest you make plans for next year right now even if it means your children's inheritance will suffer...this is for you. :lol:

To further whet your appetite, here is what I wrote just after my return in 2012:

"If you ever get the chance, go to the Goodwood Revival. Words cannot convey the scope and intensity of this ?Happening?. While the Monterey Historics are wonderful, and the summer event of various names at Road America has more Can-Am thunder than I?ve ever seen anywhere, they pale next to the Revival. Not one famous driver but a dozen, not five championship winning cars but fifty, and not millions of dollars worth of nostalgia, but hundreds of millions. Meanwhile, overhead are Spitfires and P51 Mustangs flying in formation; so close you can almost touch them.

Lord March?s estate consists of 12,000 acres and it is magnificent. The fans are knowledgeable and can be counted on regardless of the weather - keeping a smile and a wry comment at the ready while watching attentively even in the face of rain and what were literally gale force winds. The racing is fierce in every run group; cars you?ve only seen in magazines are thrashed, slid and revved in the sun and rain equally. Almost every run group had Lotus representation other than the Saloon race (where were the Lotus Cortinas?), and they were always competitive. As I wandered through the paddock, I saw the evolution of race technology exemplified with the Lotus cars frequently showing some innovation a year or two earlier than others. There is high regard for the Lotus brand throughout the paddock, along with the famous men who have Lotus connections: Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart, and others. It was a Lotus and automobile and aircraft overload! "

You will not be disappointed my friend!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 pm

As this was a Cooper year, I believe the Minis were featured. Last year there were quite a few Cortinas, one unfortunately written off.

Last year on the night of the air show, we accidentally found another "event" just up the road from the Goodwood Hotel, where an unofficial meeting of vintage cars and motorcycles had come together to watch the air show from the cheap seats. Found a couple of Elans among a nice representation of other period cars. Quite a few of the cars that were participating on track were also present. Grab some bar food at the hotel, sit outside, and watch cars driving up to the gathering before joining the parade.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 am

Great comments about Revival.

We attended in 2018 and it is indeed and over the top experience.

I had planned to attend in 2001 with my father but our scheduled departure on September 13 was thwarted by the tragic events of Tuesday September 11, 2001. Took me 17 years to get it back on the calendar and we will return.

Regarding the Elan and Mini Marcos battle. The Mini Marcos is likely 250 lbs lighter than the Elan and the mid-corner speed of a Mini is just amazing. If you have ever raced with Minis you know they just don?t use the brakes like RWD cars. Actually I believe the defy the laws of physics with the throttle held firmly to the floor while the driver manages the steering.

For those who missed the free 3-day live stream on YouTube you can watch it all over and over with a Goodwood Fellowship Membership. Best TV motor racing entertainment you can buy for about $50.
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:47 pm

I attended the Revival on the Sunday, but found it far too busy and congested and it is eye wateringly expensive - its not an event to go to if you don't like crowds. The racing on the Sunday was not that interesting to me either. While it is undoubtably one of the best Classic Race Meets it's worth checking which day the races are on that you are interested in. So having been and not really enjoyed it, I've crossed it off my list now as it has become a victim of its own success.
I much preferred the Bicester Flywheel meets when they were running (hopefully back next year) and I wandered down to the Castle Combe Classic last weekend. That was excellent - good circuit, a fine selection of grids and relatively uncrowded - it was easy to find a couple of good vantage points to watch the racing - recommended!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:39 pm

If you fancy a Mini Marcos needing lots of work
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1163393
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7