Keys

PostPost by: djb222 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I recently posted about refurbishing my boot lid and the fact that I hadn't a set of keys for the lock or indeed the glove box, both of which use the same key. Much searching for keys led me over to the US and britishcarkeys.com.

I thought I would update on what good service I have received, within a week I now have 2 original keys which do what they are supposed to. He can also supply keys cut to pattern.

I have no affiliation to the guy but thought if anyone else is in need of help replacing keys then drop him a line.

Regards

David
Last edited by djb222 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:30 pm

If I were you I would edit out the key number and just leave the FS prefix or else someone might juts do a tour of Birmingham with an FS*** key visiting the Elan owners.

It might sound far fetched but i once posted a picture of my Elan in storage sheltered Under the wing of a historic bomber aircraft, I mentioned the type of aircraft and soon after a kind soul offered me similar advice, he was able to tell me the exact location of my vehicle from the info, although having keys wont help much for a vehicle that has been laid up for d?cades.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:51 pm

You're quite right, I did think about it whilst I was typing, anyway updated now.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Hmmmm....when I've a few hundred years spare I might go walk about with my FS key round Birmingham....could you narrow it down a bit...within a X miles radius...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Or Birmingham, Alabama maybe! While you're searchin try the food gorgeous, then if you do find it you may not fit.. :P
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 pm

While we're talking about keys, I don't have any for the boot or door locks of my S2. I've tried to disassemble the boot lock to try and find out the FS number as it's not on any outside surface that I can see, however I can't see how to remove the barrel. Does anyone know the secret? The doors too are a problem, but the boot on the S2 can't even be closed without a key let alone locked :? Any advice much appreciated.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 pm

On the S4 on taking my boot lock apart there is a brass pin the holds the barrel in place that is easily tapped out, the key number is on the barrel. I'm fairly sure the number is also repeated on the casing somewhere but will need to check my photos.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 am

I would be surprised if the number were repeated on the casing and it would be illogical in production terms unlessperhaps the number was marked on after the barrel was fitted.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 am

Yes, I knew about the possibility of a pin holding the barrel in, but I can't see any evidence of one. There looks to be a kind of collar holding the barrel in at the opposite end to the key end, but can't see how to move it. :evil:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:47 am

Hi just removed my boot lock to check and yes the key number is stamped on the square shaft that locates in the lock claw. This saves a whole world of pain trying to remove the barrel, which I did before spotting the stamp on the shaft.

There is a thick spring clip that retains the lock in the locating plate, it sits on top of three washers, two thin and a little thicker that allows everything to turn freely. Removing the spring clip is not easy nor is putting it back together which is probably why I was told "you need to replace the whole unit" this was also why I dismantled it. Once out you can see the locating pin which is easily tapped out.

Anyway the point of this ramble is that you do not need to do what I did, just remove the unit as in the photo and the key number is there.

David

djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 am

Aw David,you've not shown the number,now I'm going to have to wander round Birmingham with the full set of keys till I find you and then try them all...

John :lol:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:48 am

I did try to balance it on the points so the number would show but it kept falling over.

Just be careful on your Brummie adventure, some dodgy areas round abouts.

:wink:
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Re my problem with the boot lock key, remember I have an S2 and the lock looks like this
SNV32544.JPG and

So, how to remove the barrel? There is no sign of a pin, just the collar you can see around the square end.
If I can't get a key I won't be able to shut the boot lid at all :? Failing finding one does anyone have a spare S2 boot lock WITH a key :D
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Sorry not familiar with the S2 lock. I would have thought there must be a retaining clip of some description, unless it was made to be tamper proof.

Not sure if this info is relevant to the S2, but on my S4 the glove box lock uses the same key as the boot lock and as luck has it the key code is stamped on the back of the glove box lock casing. If i had known this then I could have saved a lot of fiddling and cussing. As I said may not be relevant but if it is, will save you time.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:So, how to remove the barrel?

I had the barrel out of my S2's boot lock a few years ago and as I recall after taking off the lever I inserted the key and it pulled out complete with the key, no pins or anything like that.
Now of course you dont have the key but these locks/keys are usually so badly worn that any old FS key will work and some of my S2 keys fit my S3 and vice versa :roll: (see pic of my worn key :lol:
So if you can find any old FS key try putting it in the lock and pulling out the barrel..... it may just work :shock:
Attachments
fs (Copy) (2).JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: