Have You a Photo of Your Elan in the 60s/70s?

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

jimj wrote:Pete, I think it was Newhaven as that was where the original dude lived.
Incidentally I`ve emailed Gareth re. Gold Cup but no reply yet. I won`t be wearing the jacket, or.......on second thoughts.......
Jim

Best to ring or text Gareth to confirm; I think we are meeting at Little Chef, as previously but I've not heard anything, either/too.
The pink silk chiffon always suited you, Sir; but the times they are a changin' or so I am informed.

You could well be correct with the location. I was in Newhaven last year, with 'erself, and we both lamented the town's fall from grace- back in the 70's it was quite an event to queue for the Sealink ferry to Dieppe; now it's just another shit-hole awaiting investment. :cry:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:35 pm

My old S4 - it doesn't seem to be on the road at present, per DVLA - anyone know its' whereabouts/status, for interest?
Attachments
ELAN  FRONT VIEW.jpg and
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Here is my story and a couple of pics http://www.96trees.com/?p=15
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Love all these old pictures, reminds me of looking through my dads old photo's (sadly not elans but plenty of other old exciting cars).

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my plus 2 in the 60s/70s as I was born in 1990, I think I'm the youngest owner on this forum buying my basket case restoration 2 years ago when I was 19.

Really like your S2 Roy, do you still have those "turbine" like wheels and what are they? (sorry off topic). No need to touch the paint work and you'd fit in perfect with the boys my age shot basting their panels for a surface rust "ratty" look on their new vw golf's .etc

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:31 pm

innesw wrote: I was born in 1990 Innes

OMG Innes! :shock:

I was just waiting for someone to ask:

"Have You a Photo of Your Elan with You in your 60s/70s" :wink:

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi All,

If this works there should be a picture of my Sprint c1974/5 when I was 19 :shock:

Lots of hair, lots of dreams and the family nose much in evidence :)

The car was a cracker although the PO had almost polished the gold off the stripes. It was all original (as you'd expect at that age) apart from the horrible boy racer mirrors and the very nice red/black, suede/leather Astrali wheel.

Sadly I think the car no longer lives...........

EDIT:

Flushed with sucess I wonder if this one may be of interest? I think it was around 1979. I bought the car and ran it for a while then sold it to a good friend who spent a lot of time on it pretty much rebuilding it from the ground up. During the rebuild he improved quite a few things such as adding a very nice custom dash with a full set of instruments omitting the radio aperture in the process. He also made a custom wiring harness at the same time. Some time after the rebuild I bought it back again. This car still exists and I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale in East Anglia a few years ago still sporting the Rindt inspired colour scheme (Sandglow over White). It was originally all white.
Note the authentic Esso tiger tail which I still have. :)

Sorry the pic's are in the wrong order ..... :wink:
Attachments
PGP504E.jpg and
Complete with tiger tail
DNG368K.jpg and
Lovely car, questionable owner, awful photo.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 pm

innesw wrote:Really like your S2 Roy, do you still have those "turbine" like wheels and what are they? (sorry off topic). No need to touch the paint work and you'd fit in perfect with the boys my age shot basting their panels for a surface rust "ratty" look on their new vw golf's .etc

Innes

Innes,

The wheels are JAP wheels, made by (or for) a John Pearce who used do deal in all sorts of cars, both road and race, car parts and who used to advertise on the back cover of Cars and Car Conversions in the '60s and '70s. I have the set that as came with and that are on the car and I bought another set on ebay a year or so ago.

This would be back on topic except this one is not mine. I photographed it around '68 somewhere on the south coast. Brighton or Bognor I think. I was obviously in to Lotus then although I didn't know it! I wonder if it is still about?
Attachments
Old Elan.jpg and
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Time for another of my old Elans; again, anyone know its' wherabouts now?
Attachments
ELAN+2 IN KINGS DRIVE WK.jpg and
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 am

This one just begins to recall the many hours spent attending to those original Elans; they used to dominate my weekends, tho' it was (almost) a labour of love, constantly fixing 'em up!
Attachments
At 14 Hoscote.jpg and
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LYF45D » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Here is a shot of my S3 coupe, together with my future wife, taken at Portland Bill in Dorset in 1973.
The wife I still have, but unfortunately the S3 is long gone.
The centre spot was an extra fitted to the car when I bought it, but proved very useful for flashing, as waiting for the pop-up headlights to come up and start flashing seemed to take for ever!

I often wonder where LYF 45D is now. Perhaps someone can tell me?
Attachments
lotus401.JPG and
LYF45D
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Well it is still around. From the DVLA site:

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for LYF 45D are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2011
Date of First Registration 20 09 1966
Year of Manufacture 1966
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1558CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour YELLOW

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 am

I wonder if it is now driven by a lady with BLUE shoes? :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kieran9990 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi all,

Heres a few of my uncles old one.

My dad and uncle both had them at the same time in the late 70's . My dad kept his and my uncle sold his.

will try and find a old one of my dads

kieran9990
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm

My first S4 DHC finished in Black and cream. The picture is taken in N. Ireland around 1975/76. The registration number was 3777 VZ. I wish I knew the chassis No.

James
Attachments
elan2.png and
Elan1.png and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am

1966 in Cornwall. Ah the days of youth! Boat, a Lotus, a Moke and Cortina estate for the oncoming patter of tiny feet.........................

I have often wondered where SAR370D went to. Not on the DVLA site. Anyone know any different?

Still have an Elan and the girl who is still my wife!!

D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: