PostPost by: smaceng » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pm

Name is Scott, and considering buying a Elan S2, yellow with Black interior.
A registered gearhead since birth and Mechanical Engineer, can't get it out of my veins.
Been throught many Brit cars, Bugeyes, Big Healeys, MGs, and others like Alfa, Porsche, Miata (can I even say that word here?) and Triumphs. Some bought in boxes, others more complete. Some just drivers, others award winners.
Learned how to do bodywork, paint and welding at the local college.
Got hooked up with Mike Ostrov and his east bay band of thieves (no convictions yet) and the lotus is blooming inside my head. Learing about what big valve and +2 means here.
Cheers, Scott
smaceng
New-tral

PostPost by: Pabarlow » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:45 am

Welcome! We have had a similar automotive history, though I've never owned a big Healey (couch, farm truck, cough).
You will really enjoy the inbound mechanical engineering and outbound driving perfection of the Elan.

"Big Valve" refers to an upgrade to the Lotus Twin Cam engine to include slightly larger valves and other changes to increase horsepower. There was a prior option available, "Special Equipment" or "SE" that also increased horsepower through cam and carb changes. Lots of numbers floating around , and someone will correct me, but figure 105 base, 115 SE, and 126 Big Valve, with variations by market. In my humble opinion, engine spec is not a major consideration in choosing an Elan to enjoy.

"Plus 2" is an different car, but based on the Elan. Same basic chassis design and mechanical components, but longer and wider and with a 2+2 coupe body. Fantastic car in its own right, hard to choose between them for me.

Series 2 Elans are certainly desirable. Good luck!
GigPete
Current: Elan S3 FHC Airflow; Europa Twincam; Jaguar XJ12, Miata NB.
YouTube: GigPete
Pabarlow
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:54 pm

Welcome Scott!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smaceng » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:20 pm

So after much thought, I decided not to buy this Beautiful Elan. I recently have been having hip pain (74 yrs old) and it is said I have beginning arthritis. It is just too much effort and pain to get in and out of.
May the owner pass it on to younger and more athletic folks.
Cheers,
Scott
smaceng
New-tral

Total Online: