1971 Lotus Elan/Ford Zetec Plus 2

PostPost by: mantisman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:21 am

Hello Lotus Elan owners, I am a new member, Just finished rebuilding my Elan Plus 2 s30 late last year.
It was a mess when I found it in 2009. Car was kept in an open car port and not used for over 40 years.
Motor did turn over very briefly with a lot of coaxing. Spent the last 4 years rebuilding from the bare chassis up .
Mated a 2003 Ford Zetec 2.0 L engine to the 4 speed ,Have an S.D.S. electronic engine mgmt.system and 4 individual 42mm fuel injection throttle bodies. Cosworth light weight fly wheel and stock Ford pressure plate. Rear half shafts have C.V. joints outer and the heavy duty rubber couplings inboard..Modified 14 inch Accura wheels to accept the centre knock on hub to help with the gear ratio. The 185/70R-14 tires did help a lot.
Could do with a 5 speed G/box though.
The car is an absolute dream to drive, is quick and does everything one would expect of a Lotus.
So glad I persevered with all the "issues" that presented them selves in this re-build.
Attachments
img_1078.jpg and
mantisman
New-tral

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:10 am

Welcome to the forums, I have a similar Zetec engined +2 and an S4 Elan with a Duratec engine. Quite a few others on here have similar cars and a few more are being planned.

Well done for saving the car and making such a nice job.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Welcome, looks and sounds like a nice car. Would like to see some picture of the whole car and interested to know more about the wheel conversion....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: