Hello, Old Newbie!

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello to all,
After over 20 years in the wilderness, I have decided to own and restore an Elan+2.
The cars I used to own were lovely, and although I worked a lot on my Elan Sprint, the Excel and Esprit were beautiful examples and great to drive with no problems (no honestly!).
My latest project is a basket case (barn find 1968 +2 with matching numbers) which will need a full body off restoration. Although I am a bit daunted by this as It will be a solo effort, it will be a long term project and I intend to be realistic.
At this stage, I would like to know what parts are impossible to source. I have just completed an MG BGT 1972 restoration and it's interesting how many business's supply every part for MGs.
Anyway, I'm sure you will be bothered by me very soon asking for your much needed advice, and it's good to be back in the madness :mrgreen:
Kevin
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Welcome Kevin. Sounds like a wonderful early car. Props to you for taking on the resto. It is great to see new members with these wonderful cars.

Take a look for the car here and consider adding or updating on the registry

http://www.elanregistry.org/

For difficult to source parts, I would include the plastic console piece, the rear bumper (front is the same as the Europa), front turn signal assemblies. Not sure for your door handles (inside & outside), although seem to come up on eBay. Brake boosters and repair kits can be challenging. Exterior bright work such as rain gutter, mustache for grille opening, certain types of windshield gaskets (depends on model), etc. A member here has made up some replacements for the rocker strips; not sure of availability.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Welcome Kevin.
My car is a 1968 +2 and I have done a complete restoration single handed.
It takes time, patience, money and some skill.
The books that I purchased to help were:- Lotus +2 Manual, Lotus +2 Parts Manual, Brian Bucklands Rebuilding of a Lotus ?lan, ( note not a +2 but lots of useful info on parts etc). Also have Miles Wilkins Lotus twin cam engine, this was very difficult to get, but it is now in reprint via Amazon.
Any questions, this forum will get your answers.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks guys for your welcome.
I had a sleepless night last night due to trying to design in my head, a frame to make within my garage to crane off the body. I think I have the clearance to roll the chassis out from under, then lower the body.
I would like to know what the stripped body weight is, I've seen it somewhere on this forum but now can't find it.
I have Gorden Lund's restoration book and I'm waiting for the PO to send me the workshop manual but I'll soon start the strip down.
I'm starting to think I should have just bought the log book as everything else looks shot :cry: (it's a challenge, think positive, etc. etc.)
Regards, Kevin
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:35 pm

You don't actually need a crane arrangement, just some friends and beer.

Have you seen this recent topic, which includes a full description of how to get the body off a Plus 2 and a video of them doing it and carrying it to a 'high' support frame where it will sit over the rolling chassis.

lotus-chassis-f36/body-removal-write-for-t29214.html#p193813

There have been discussions this year on here about constructing storage frames for Elan bodies.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 pm

When I removed the body of my car during its restoration it was just me and the good lady.

No problems at all - what with new fitting a new body section the body was removed and refitted numerous times.

Like most people here I built a cradle to enable me to store the body above ground level and roll the chassis underneath.
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Just put the idea of me and the good lady to my own good lady - it didn't go down too well :(
I think I'll get around her by pretending the colour choice will be hers :mrgreen:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Plus 2 bodies are rather heavier than that of a 2-seater, so you will need to call in favours from your SWMBO's knitting group.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 am

Kev,

before you start the strip down take loads and loads of photos as you WILL forget how things went together.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Started strip down today and took pictures, it's just too horrible to show you and when I do, make sure the kids are out of the room. Every single nut and bolt is a rusted blob and the nose cone is like a miniature scrap yard.
Every part that should move is seized so I can't turn the engine. It has at least 5 coats of different colours on it and the body looks like it's been used for target practice. The best laugh of the day was my wife's question - "do you think it will take a couple of thousand to put right? :shock:
Having a stiff drink right now, I need to be alone :(
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 pm

And during the strip down too of course.. Lots & lots of detailed pictures.

Easy with modern digital camera.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: