Olympics

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:11 am

I know this type of sport might not be your thing. Last night woke at 02:30 to watch the guy who was my physio at Rookwood hospital must be 5 years ago now (helped to straighten my leg and get me up on my sticks) in the men’s quad sculls final. Tom Barrass is a genuinely lovely guy, we talked about his ambitions and rowing about Redgrave and Pinsent and the incredible times they set on rowing machines.

Funny thing pride isn’t it? How it can make you well up and get a lump in your throat. Well that happened last night when he and his team brought home a silver medal! Absolutely brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57993357
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:31 am

Even being chosen to represent your country at the Olympics is an achievement of some considerable magnitude, so actually winning a medal is an unbelievable thing to do. I have a friend who went to three Olympics - two as a competitor (he was a sprinter) and one as an official but it was back when everyone went by boat rather than flew. He said he spent six weeks or so on a ship going to Australia only to be knocked out in the heats - so something like less than a minute of actual running. I did wonder how much the time on the boat reduced his fitness level. If they'd all gone by air maybe it might have made a difference.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:05 pm

I believe the 2024 Olympics will be held in Paris , how many of the Refugee rowing team will end up in or around Dover ?

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:37 pm

it is amazing, like swimming. Swimmers train 2x per day in the pool along with pre and post workouts. Strength training and stretching. All week, all year. Maybe fine for long distance 1500m, short is maybe 20 seconds or whatever the times are these years.
So train all year, for 20 seconds. Crazy.
Guess that's why some of us got into paddling, and at the time. Whitewater was an Olympic sport. Fun. I bet like skateboarding etc. But then, if its that much fun and a solo event. Is it really Olympic.
I think that the first Olympics had a reason, like rowing, or javelin, or sailing. Societies needs change, as does the Olympics.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm

When it comes back to Canada there’ll be axe skills, log cutting and bear shooting!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:01 pm

elanfan1 wrote:When it comes back to Canada there’ll be axe skills, log cutting and bear shooting!

Excellent suggestions! Maybe Scotland could add something from the Highland Games. I think the optional events we actually added over the years were curling and some form of freestyle snow boarding, but may be mistaken. Actually saw the demonstration sport curling live in Calgary in ‘88; to be fair it was a pretty easy ticket to get! :D

I am really enjoying the coverage here. Canadian Women are kicking butt in the pool (as have the British teams). A real anyone can win deal this year.

The Canadian women’s softball bronze was a huge moment, as it makes up for a fourth place finish the last time softball was included. The whole team will be essentially retiring as softball is not expected in the next Olympiad.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 pm

Most true Canuckle heads wrestle bears, shoot bunnies in Biathlon, and eat what’s left.
Reminds me of Monty Pythons Lumberjack song, what fun.

I do find it interesting that the Olympics changes activities/sports regularly, presumably to keep with the times.
The other thing I find interesting is the level of sponsorship. When I was swimming, and coaching. There was absolutely zero support. Petro Canada was about it, which probably amounted to $0.13. Per Canadian swimmer. Only really for timing equipment, the teams which were almost broke because all the money goes to the venue for operating costs.
I dont think Softball would get much funding. Unless your a top skier or cyclist, basketball is a joke too as it is highly paid. Just saying, its not really a level playing field. Most have to hold down a few jobs, and keep kids fed. That’s sort of my point, team sports (even in running or swimming) is not really an individual thing. Skateboarding or Rodeo canoe and kayak (trial event in 96) is just fun. Not really a sport as far as I am concerned, like most of the freeride skiing and snowboarding or park stuff. All up to interpretation.
Canoe and Kayak never had any funding when I was competing there either.
And they have finally capped F1 drivers. Wonder when that will happed to Politicians and Stars. Obviously dont get me started down the inequity hole.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: