ACF 50

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:11 am

Hi there,

Just been looking at a thread in the Elan section in which "Harry" mentions that he uses ACF 50 on his Elan as a corrosion inhibitor.
Just wondered if anybody had used the product and how it compares with traditional Waxoyl and Dinitrol?

I have used both on my cars (particularly the Alfa Spider) and wondered whether ACF is any better?

Martin
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am

I've been using it for years, mainly for overwintering my motorcycles - protecting the chrome chiefly although it does seem benign enough to slap on everything (rubber, paint etc). It usually gets washed off in the spring although I tend to leave it in vulnerable places (where welds meets etc). The 'recommendation' (from user groups) if the car / bike is used over the winter is to put it on in the autumn and leave it - don't wash it. It'll look awful when dirt starts to collect but underneath everything will be protected.

By and large that's been my experience although if you use the car /bike extensively in wet weather it can be washed off of its own accord and will need to be reapplied. I've been using it sporadically on the Elan, mainly for areas that that don't benefit from the built in rust protection system (everything forward of the oil leaks :lol: ) and it works. Lifespan for an application is about 2 yrs if you just leave it. Cheap enough as well - a ?15 can does half a dozen bikes and various bits on the car.

Compared with Waxoyl it's a lot easier and less messy to apply so you're more likely to do it and apply it to parts that would look terrible covered in Waxoyl but it's not apply and forget. I used both Waxoyl and ACF50 on a motorcycle I took to southern Germany during a wet winter a few years ago - the Waxoyl survived ok but the ACF washed off in a few places.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:23 pm

There is a garage round the corner from us that does allot of winter prep for rural vehicles, they use it a fair bit on cars mainly because it's thin and can be injected into box sections quite easy.

From what i've seen it's similar to the old fashioned bar and chain oil trick, you put it on in the middle of summer and it creeps into all the welds etc then dust sticks to it creating a dry layer. Doesn't look pretty but works well especially on exposed metal.

Found it interesting harry is looking to replace his Spyder chassis with a Lotus galv...... not sure of his collection the Elan would make the best Winter car though.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:36 pm

I use it on my Exige and daughters Elise on the suspension mounting points when coming into winter. Its very thin and runs into small gaps. Re-apply every year.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:25 pm

I have been trusting Rust Converter (new name these days)
https://www.permatex.com/products/speci ... treatment/
I first used it about 15 years ago on a dying 5tonne twin line wrecker. The Rust Converter is still holding the metal in place, or its not flaked off like usual.
It comes in spray bomb/rattle can (be ready to change tips every use)
Cheapest is the 4L at about ?50
I am not sure how viscous the ACF50 is compared. RC is like water.
The Rust Converter is hammer hard after curing.
When I sandblast or grind, weld etc. I apply RC immediately. Paintable, and it seems to be able to outlast anything.
Think there are other companies making the stuff, but I am unsure who. It?s a white liquid (must be shaken prior to) dries black.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm

sounds like the same stuff i get at a big discounter here: 0,5L for about 7quid - turns black: wear gloves ( my wife hates my black paws!) sandy (it only covers a surface and the rest of the part doesn't absorb any of the "milk")
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:23 pm

One of the guys came into our shop today from the garage i mentioned, had a bit of a chat with him and he said ACF 50 is a great storage type protection but not very good on the underside of a car used in harsh conditions or snow. He suggests application to unexposed area's twice a year (Spring/Autumn) and some thing a bit more robust on the more exposed areas if you plan to use your car through the winter.

Personally i've only used the Rust buster mil spec since it won the Practical Classic rust protection test.
https://www.rust.co.uk/product/mil-spec ... clear--214
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 am

That?s been my experience with ACF50 - it?s very good in areas that are not subjected to direct road spray etc. In those areas it can wash off - not easily but not surprising either as you have to be able to get it off with a bucket of water and some detergent when you want. In those areas (under the mudguards on my motorcycles for example) something like waxoyl is much better
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: