scam buyer

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:13 am

I read on some car web site of a person in the northeast United States posing as a buyer of a classic car in an attempt to scam the owner. I do not remember where I read the story. The scammer was not responding to a for sale advertisement but rather seeking to purchase a car seen at a car show.

I recently received an e-mail in response to an old ad for a TVR I have for sale. When checking the e-mail address I located a scam warning for an e-mail with the same "prefix" but a different e-mail provider.

I am concerned. The owner of the car mention previously had concerns of his car being stolen from his home. The fake "buyer" was very aggressive.

Any Northeast U.S. members have any similar problem.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jentwistle3 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Some guy was emailing me about purchasing my car. He was quite aggressive, complaining ?you did not reply to my previous email?, not taking the hint I suppose. No idea how he found me, through this forum I suspect. He seems to have gone away.
Jentwistle3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm

I assume you are in the U.S.. I responded with an e-mail that a person who previously had contacted me was buying the car. I have not heard anything further.

I am always on guard. I should be washing and waxing the TVR this weekend to prepare it for sale. I plan on listing it on "Bring A Trailer".

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Tell him to send the check and when it clears he can have the car. Or more professionally use an escrow service.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: